cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for tow vehicle for family of 6

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! Trying this again, after finally abandoning the idea of a Ford Expedition. (Payload issues) We are in the market for a truck. But it also needs to be my husband's commuter truck. He drives about 25 minutes one way, city traffic. We are considering TT's in the 25-28 foot range. (Haven't purchased yet) We have a large family of 6, including 4 adults and 2 tall teen boys. Not all have to sleep in the TT, so not looking for ultra huge.

Questions:
1) I'm seeing possible payloads of close to the 2400-2600 lbs range with a 4x4 Ford F 150 SuperCrew. Does this sound adequate for a TT that size? What is the minimum payload we should consider?
2) Obviously a 3/4 ton truck would make towing life easier, but what would be the gas mileage difference on a daily basis driving it to work? The window sticker on the F 250 didn't even have to list the gas mileage.
3) Any other TV we should consider?

Thanks for any input you have for us.
47 REPLIES 47

Mttlh4
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just put a down payment on a used 2500 suburban as TV for our family of 6. I considered a van, but the mere mention of a van to my family and i would've been put out on the street. We looked at a lot of crew cab trucks, but there was just too much compromise for it to be a good fit for us.
I had heard somewhere that the 2500 suburban was coming back specifically for government and law enforcement usage.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
Hello! Trying this again, after finally abandoning the idea of a Ford Expedition. (Payload issues) We are in the market for a truck. We are considering TT's in the 25-28 foot range. ( We have a large family of 6, including 4 adults and 2 tall teen boys.

Questions:
1) I'm seeing possible payloads of close to the 2400-2600 lbs range with a 4x4 Ford F 150 SuperCrew.

Six large people in a F150 and a 28' trailer, it sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
travelnman wrote:
Its a problem. The old station wagons did the job. They could haul about
eight people pull 5,000lbs or more, get respectable mpg, fit in the garage,
and you could get huge engines over 400 cubes and burn regular. If you buy
a pickup my recommendation would be a GM product. I talked with a insurance
man at a camp ground who was also camping. He said the other manufacturers
have tricky engines to repair in accidents and don't stand up to collisions
all that well. I own a suburban and a Toyota. The suburban is one tough
old truck but I wish for more power. Remember in some communities you must
park a pickup in the garage or the neighborhood watch patrol will report your
violation of association rules. Disgusting but its true. With that bunch
I would go with a motor home and pull a toad. Watch the movie RV with Robin
Williams it will convince you the motorhome is the way to go with a family and its full of comedy situations we all experience camping. Of course they
probably won't let you park the motorhome on the driveway either so you will
have to rent a storage space or move to a farm.

Well that camping insurance man definitely blew some smoke from his campfire up your tailpipe!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Hank_McMauser
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a ram 2500 crew cab, and a $1500 10 yr old used car for his commute.
Twin 2015 1500 RAM bighorns and a 12x12 alaknak tent

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
Its a problem. The old station wagons did the job. They could haul about
eight people pull 5,000lbs or more, get respectable mpg, fit in the garage,
and you could get huge engines over 400 cubes and burn regular. If you buy
a pickup my recommendation would be a GM product. I talked with a insurance
man at a camp ground who was also camping. He said the other manufacturers
have tricky engines to repair in accidents and don't stand up to collisions
all that well. I own a suburban and a Toyota. The suburban is one tough
old truck but I wish for more power. Remember in some communities you must
park a pickup in the garage or the neighborhood watch patrol will report your
violation of association rules. Disgusting but its true. With that bunch
I would go with a motor home and pull a toad. Watch the movie RV with Robin
Williams it will convince you the motorhome is the way to go with a family and its full of comedy situations we all experience camping. Of course they
probably won't let you park the motorhome on the driveway either so you will
have to rent a storage space or move to a farm.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
carringb wrote:
One of the other interesting options is the ship-through code to Kerr Industries, which is a law enforcement upfitter, which makes me thinks this is the intended purpose of the 2500.

Possibly they are using it to produce armored vehicles. I can't think of any other need to have a Suburban with an 11K GVWR, other than adding a couple thousand pounds of armor.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
carringb wrote:
He's right. GVWR went WAY up (11,00 pounds) but its fitted with the 6.0 and GM 6-speeds, it has a low GCWR.

That still sounds way low. IIRC the 6.0 with the 6L80E and 4.10 axle is rated for 18,500 GCWR.

The 6.0 with the 6L80E is rated for 16,000 pounds with 3.73 gears although newer ones with 4.10 gears is good for 20,500.

Everything I've seen listed a very low tow rating, although I do see a the GT5 option code which is 4.10 gears (G80 locker is available too). They haven't published a GCWR yet that I can find.

Also it's only available for fleet ordering, and I believe there's a minimum order size on the dealer's end.

One of the other interesting options is the ship-through code to Kerr Industries, which is a law enforcement upfitter, which makes me thinks this is the intended purpose of the 2500.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

APT
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Suburban 4WD is $54k to over $75k. Duramax adds $8500 to MSRP of a Silverado HD over 6.0L gas. How many buyers are there for a $60-83k Suburban?I'd love it too, but that's $25k more than I paid for my 2011 new! That's a lifetime supply of fuel at today's prices. Hard to convince the buyers.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
carringb wrote:
He's right. GVWR went WAY up (11,00 pounds) but its fitted with the 6.0 and GM 6-speeds, it has a low GCWR.

That still sounds way low. IIRC the 6.0 with the 6L80E and 4.10 axle is rated for 18,500 GCWR, giving that 3500HD Suburban a 7500 tow rating fully loaded. Pretty impressive GVWR specs, first time I've seen a Suburban make full utilization of the HD pickup components it uses. It would really be a killer tow machine if they offered a Duramax/Allison option.

I feel like a 2500/3500 Duramax Suburban would sell pretty well. I've spoken with a number of people who would buy them -- me, my BIL and his father would buy it the first day it came out. I know a number of contractors who prefer a Suburban with a trailer over a pickup truck.

But then again, I live in Utah where the Suburban is the ubiquitous family hauler, especially with the fairly active type family. So my perception is probably a bit off.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
carringb wrote:

That still sounds way low. IIRC the 6.0 with the 6L80E and 4.10 axle is rated for 18,500 GCWR, giving that 3500HD Suburban a 7500 tow rating fully loaded. Pretty impressive GVWR specs, first time I've seen a Suburban make full utilization of the HD pickup components it uses. It would really be a killer tow machine if they offered a Duramax/Allison option.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. Hubby not fond of the van idea. Rethinking this whole thing. Going back to my idea of a small, light trailer. This all started with us wanting a "towable bathroom", but of course, it doesn't exist! Kids don't mind sleeping in tents, we love sitting around the campfire at night, etc. We wouldn't spend much time in the trailer anyway so I think we can get away with less TV. It may still be 2 vehicles for longer trips. Also looking into an older TV, plus a commuter car. Oh boy. The hard choices for us not so wealthy folks. 1st world problems! LOL

blt2ski
100,000+ miles towing with my family of 6 in a crew cab, with an emanual stick shift in the front middle seat......yeah a van was preferred. But I needed a pickup for work, towed twice the weight of TT I had. I could get 4ad at a reasonable cost in a pickup vs a.van. ex did not want a burn for herself. We did have an Astro later Safari AWD van for her to run kids around and all of us with out a trailer etc.
ALL of us would not trade days.for a.van if it would have ment not getting trailer to local mountains for 12-15 weekends per ski season. Us use in summer, although not as many days from April to November......
At the.end of.the.day, get what is best for you. There is.not a true absolute PERFECT two rig imho. Only.something with fewest faults per say.
MOST important item tho, Is correct payload for the task. After that, take pick on what you need or do not.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:

GM is making a 3500 Suburban. Available only as a fleet vehicle. Rated to tow 3000 lbs. Priced from $80k.

a 3500 Burb, only rated to tow 3,000#. That would be more like the Payload. Tow rating should be in the 10,000# to 12,000# range.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
GM is making 2500 series Suburbans again. They're not setup as towing monsters and may be only thru fleet sales from what I read, but that may work for you.
Given your short anticipated towing distances, long term vehicle ownership and family situation, I'd still lean towards a crew cab pickup or big suv and deal with taking 2 cars for a year or 2.
But I'm in the won't have a van club. I need 4wd and a truck bed, never mind the cool factor.

GM is making a 3500 Suburban. Available only as a fleet vehicle. Rated to tow 3000 lbs. Priced from $80k.

a 3500 Burb, only rated to tow 3,000#. That would be more like the Payload. Tow rating should be in the 10,000# to 12,000# range.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"