cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added 12V USB outlets

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered some. USB outlets were like $9 or $10 each on amazon.

The 4 port gettup was about $22 complete. I butchered the wood a little in process so I will need to clean that one up. The 3 under the radio went in no problem. I have them on a switch so I can turn them off if boon docking to save battery and not stare at blue lights all the time. Also wanted a voltage readout for when we boondock. It seems pretty accurate so far compared to my regular tester. Will see how it does after a day on battery.

Now when the kids all forget their plug in chargers- they will still be able to charge and not steal mine. Also gives an option to charge when boondocking and not needing to run the generator or plug into my truck.

If I had to do it over, I would had done the ones by the control panel the same as by the radio. It would had come out a lot cleaner. I got a couple extra. May throw some in the bunk area. I would like to put one or two in my truck now too.
7 REPLIES 7

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice work.
I got a unit from Amazon that inserts into a standard outlet, has 4 USB and 4 120V outlets. Put it in by the TV and made a fold down shelf that holds the iPads and phones to charge. But it won't do 12V. Gotta go in the truck for that.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
I haven't figured out the cord situation yet. I have an android, they all have apple. Last trip combined, they brought 1 cord, no chargers.

something like this might interest you, was convenient when my wife had apple and i had android (she has since seen the light). there are tons of different types available, that's just an example.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
:C:C:C

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't figured out the cord situation yet. I have an android, they all have apple. Last trip combined, they brought 1 cord, no chargers.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work and a good modification. As said, will sure make it more convenient than hunting for the transformer and cord.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I did that a few years ago. I installed 3 sets, bedroom, living room by the TV, and by my chair. I didn't use any switches so they are always on.
We boondocked 100 days this year so we use them alot, they work great.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
very nice, getting ready to do a similar thing by my radio. i like that you matched the light colors, mis-match would drive me nuts too!

I plan on wiring up the switch to kill the radio as well, since it is pretty bright, especially at night.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH