cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added trailer hitch, strong enough to pull ATV trailer?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to make a trailer hitch for our 19ft Zinger trailer. We want to be able to hang a bike rack off the back, and maybe even pull a small ATV trailer (you can double tow in Missouri).

I made this out of 2x2 square tubing with 1/4" wall thickness....pretty heavy stuff. I welded up the whole structure first, and then slid it right in between the frame rails on the trailer....and welded it to the frame in several spots, and also welded it to the factory square tubing bumper in several spots.

Should I have any problem towing a light trailer with this setup? Thoughts?

19 REPLIES 19

westend
Explorer
Explorer
imq707s wrote:
westend wrote:
I like those workstands, too!
Where does a guy get them?

I got those welding tables from Harbor Freight.....if I remember right, they were around $50 each. They work great!

Thanks, I'll be looking for them on sale at HF.
I have a dedicated welding bench but it is always covered with incidental stuff I need to move so a project like yours (or similar) can be done on tables like those, easily.

Like was posted, your welding skills are really good. FWIW, I was a road crew welder doing mostly stainless in food processing and also a shipyard welder so I know what it takes to get a good bead down, yours are outstanding.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
imq707s wrote:

Yep, I just put a few short welds on the bumper just to tie everything together.....not really for strength. The main strength comes from the welds to the frame.

Nice job. For what you want to do....I don't see any "week" or "weak" points.

Nice welding.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
imq707s wrote:
westend wrote:

I got those welding tables from Harbor Freight.....if I remember right, they were around $50 each. They work great!

I'll have to look here at Princess Auto....man they are nice.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
You certainly are no novice at welding. Good job there. I would think that as much flexing the frame of a TT does you should keep an eye on the welds themselves for cracking either in the weld or in the frame. The frame is not likely to be 1/4 in steel so to me that is the weak link. The welds at the bumper may crack also even though they are not there for strength, there will still be a load on them. Flexing and work hardening is the enemy of welds.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
imq707s wrote:
westend wrote:

I've got one, they go on sale pretty often.. Good table, excellent bang for the buck.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

jolvi
Explorer
Explorer
Dang we live in Nixa, and your welding is very impressive, better than most important have seen

tn_terry_t
Explorer
Explorer
ought to be able to pull a D-9 caterpillar with that bad boy good lookin job!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice job, like others have said the weak link is the frame. I would keep a eye on the frame just past the rear hanger for the axle.

Of course now you need a small fishing boat and your set.:B

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks good to me!!

I have 250# tongue weight from my boat. Never a problem towing all over Idaho and Montana. Just had another hitch welded up on my new TT. Can't wait to try it out next summer.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
That looks like a nice job and plenty beefy for bikes or a light trailer.
I had a professional shop do pretty much the same thing on the back of my enclosed car hauler so that I could haul my 300lb scooter on the back of the trailer.

I too was concerned about having enough tongue weight, so I bought a tongue scale($45). Hanging the 300lb scooter on the back only took 75lbs off of the tongue weight.

Of course, depending on placement of your axles and how you load your trailer will determine the effect on your tongue weight. I would recommend a tongue scale to make sure you have enough weight on the front.

Yep, I just put a few short welds on the bumper just to tie everything together.....not really for strength. The main strength comes from the welds to the frame.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Nicely done! It looks to me like the weak point is almost certainly going to be the frame of the trailer itself.

I think you should be able to safely do what you suggest.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You did a very nice weld job there. It looks very good. I have a feeling your hitch and frame is much stronger than the trailer frame it's attached to. No doubt the frame you built will be able to haul, pull, or carry just about anything. But, not so sure what the trailer is capable of handling though.

Now that you have it installed, take it out for a dry run. Have someone drive behind you, see how much shake or wobble the 2nd trailer has. Might even be a good idea if they could record it so you can see what's happening yourself.

Start by driving slow and increase speed a little at a time so you can learn it's limitation. It might be flawless and, who knows??? you may be able to run 80 mph. On the other hand,... well ... just start slow, build your confidence your plan works and works well. Also, have a 2 way communication with your chase car. If something happens that's funky, you need to know immediately so you can slow down.

There again, I think your self-built hitch is fabulous. Not so sure about the integrity of the camper though. Road test it thoroughly before towing for real!

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks like a nice job and plenty beefy for bikes or a light trailer.
I had a professional shop do pretty much the same thing on the back of my enclosed car hauler so that I could haul my 300lb scooter on the back of the trailer.

I too was concerned about having enough tongue weight, so I bought a tongue scale($45). Hanging the 300lb scooter on the back only took 75lbs off of the tongue weight.

Of course, depending on placement of your axles and how you load your trailer will determine the effect on your tongue weight. I would recommend a tongue scale to make sure you have enough weight on the front.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata