cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding 120V line

txredfish1
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a mod where someone added a separate 120V/20A line to run their heater, etc so it would be separate from the normal 30A and not blow breakers. How is this wired in the trailer?
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Generally you do not 'wire it in' but rather just install an inlet (exterior) and connect to an added outlet inside.

5-15 inlet on amazon

txredfish1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your ideas. I like the one about just putting out a extension chord out the slide out gasket.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
We just ran a heavy 20amp ext cord thru the slide out gasket area where we wanted the heater setting. Took a bout 1 minute to run it and no extra $$$$.

X2
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
We just ran a heavy 20amp ext cord thru the slide out gasket area where we wanted the heater setting. Took a bout 1 minute to run it and no extra $$$$.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just wired in a new 20A service on mine. I ran everything under the trailer. I put in 2 outlets, one on the side outside the trailer and one inside at the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. This way I can run my small fridge and/or ceramic heater. I did split the inside outlet so half of it is 20A shore power and the other half will be powered from a 1000W inverter!

I still need to find a 20A male connector so I can just plug it into the side of the trailer right below the 30A hookup. I know MDT trucks have an outlet like this for the block heater. Need to looking Into it. Right now I just ziptied it to the frame.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might be talking about my post here.

I cut a hole in the inside wall of the slideout right next to a stud and connected a wire from the outside plug unit to the hole where I installed a regular two outlet receptacle.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My big cord goes up into the area under the bed and the breaker panel is on the side of the bed pedestal so I added a recep on the pedestal near the corner closest to the bathroom and ran a good quality extension cord out the same pipe the big cord goes through and coil it in the elec bay.

I plug it into the 15-20A recep at the park pedestal.

This gives DW a place to plug in her hair dryer when we are on 30A.

We also use it for the hot water boiler for ice tea.

As mentioned, you could also do a through-wall connector to a recep if you wanted power in a particular place
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
It can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be. I know people who just pass an extension cord through the slide-out gasket, or through a vent/window.

I have read posts where people add an extra marine-style inlet on their rig, and wire it to an outlet on the other side.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
unwire from the breaker box put a plug on the wire or wire into a plug box and just use a extension chord to the pole