Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a second battery

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,

I am looking at adding a second battery to my travel trailer.

My wife and I don't do any boon docking yet, but I want to be able to have additional power should we lose power at one of the State parks or at one of the Membership parks.

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a portable solar panel power supply. Go Power and Zamp Solar have a nice portable unit for under $600.

I do have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone added a second battery? If so, did you series or parallel connect it? How did you do the circuit connect?

2. Has anyone added solar to recharge the battery? If so, what brand and how is it working for you?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Tom
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight
25 REPLIES 25

jorn
Explorer
Explorer
I would never pair an existing battery with a new battery. If you want two batteries (to double your AH rating) then buy an identical set at the same time, and always treat them as that pair.

Now, you’re welcome to try it the other way, and it might work okay. But I know how I’d do this. I’d buy two batteries. 🙂
'16 Chaparral 360IBL & '16 Ram 2500 Cummins

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yea you are going to want those GC2 in series to make 12 volts 😉

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the input, I will purchase 2 6V batteries and parallel them. I will also purchase the solar panel setup that was posted, THANKS for the link.

I would rather have the power and not need it vs needing it and not having it.

I truly appreciate everyone's insight.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Safe travels,

Tom
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are 100% correct.

That said, hopefully next spring, I hope to have changed out my single group 24 battery with a pair of 6V Golf Cart batteries.

The group 24 battery is great if one only goes to campgrounds with electricity. Even doubling a Grp 24 provides under 100 amp hours.

Every way I've looked at it, 2 6v GC batteries provides the best bang for the buck.

As 12v golf carts become more and more prevalent, hopefully the 12v CG batteries will begin to come down in price.

If I could get the same amps with 2 12 volt GC batteries, as I can with 2 6v GC batteries, I'd go in that direction.

SoundGuy wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Second similar 12v battery in parallel is fine for what you are talking about.

#1nobby wrote:
Either way...he needs to buy 2 batteries.

Might as well be 6V.

The OP said in his original post -

"I am looking at adding a second battery to my travel trailer".

As long his first battery is in good shape there's no reason he can't simply add a second similar one - no need to replace it with a pair of 6 volt jugs.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Second similar 12v battery in parallel is fine for what you are talking about.

#1nobby wrote:

Might as well be 6V.

The OP said in his original post -

"I am looking at adding a second battery to my travel trailer".

As long his first battery is in good shape there's no reason he can't simply add a second similar one - no need to replace it with a pair of 6 volt jugs.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Second similar 12v battery in parallel is fine for what you are talking about. Get some premade cables at walmart or the local autoparts store is fine.
For pro cables you can have them custom made here at a good price: http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables?size=56

$600 for solar seems like a lot. Portable you don't need a fancy kit. Panel (or 2), controller and some wire to connect.

160w panel $179

Morningstar controller $50

> Members Solar Installations With Pics

Might as well be 6V.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Second similar 12v battery in parallel is fine for what you are talking about. Get some premade cables at walmart or the local autoparts store is fine.
For pro cables you can have them custom made here at a good price: http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables?size=56

$600 for solar seems like a lot. Portable you don't need a fancy kit. Panel (or 2), controller and some wire to connect.

160w panel $179

Morningstar controller $50

> Members Solar Installations With Pics

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
I upgraded to 2 - 6V batteries....with battery boxes and a shut off switch. Gives me 220 amp hours, I boon dock all the time and go 4-5 days no problem.

Yep ! 2 6V golf cart batteries are the best bang for the buck.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a vandalized trailer that at one time held one battery.

I upgraded to 2 - 6V batteries....with battery boxes and a shut off switch. Gives me 220 amp hours, I boon dock all the time and go 4-5 days no problem.

But I camp....I'm not watching TV or microwaving food.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why portable? Expensive. Put out, take down at least once per day. More if you leave campsite during day. Secure it how? Where to store when not in use?

Roof top is cheaper and works whenever there is light. My WindyNation system works great! Other brands do too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should read this before doing anything:

12v side of life.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman