cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about satalite hookups

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
Got a friend who is going to get a satellite dish for the camper. can he use the external cable connection on the camper to run the signal to his TV assuming the amplifier is turned off? if not what is the best method?
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.
21 REPLIES 21

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My home Direct TV satellite had a bad wire going from the dish to the receiver. Back in those days you just installed the whole thing yourself so I just bought a regular co-ax cable from Radio Shack and buried it in the ground. I hooked it up to the dish and to the receiver and it worked fine. Been working this way for 20 years now.

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Best permanent method is to add a new external weatherproof coax connector, a new RG6 coax from there to a new inside coax wall plate, and a new RG6 from there to the sat receiver. Due to the TV location and cabinet arrangements it was a simple process on mine and all hidden from view.

X2.

I mounted the exterior coax box close to the refrigerator and ran new coax up the wall next to the refrigerator and added a new interior coax connector below the factory splitter.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
I told my friend that as long as the cable is RG6 and any splitters inline should have the MHz rating to pass satellite he would be good. he does have a Keystone Hideout '17 so chances are good.. There is a splitter for the inside/outside tv he has to check.

Our '16 Hideout has a dedicated Sat hookup on the back. Works great.

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 Jayco has a jumper at the coax connection inside the TT that needs to be removed to work for satellite. Works great!

I have Dish at home with an extra receiver in the bedroom ($7/month). I take that and a dish bought on Craigslist for $20 and a tripod. Bought a pointer off eBay and I'm ready to go with no calling Dish to turn receiver on and off.
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Jayco claims the cable inlet is good for satellite also. They claim they use RG-6 cable through out.

Haven't tried it, so don't know for sure.

donn0128 wrote:
Generally speaking, no. Mfgs use cheap coax and lots of low quality splitters. All of which degrade high quality signal needed by sat receivers.

Maybe Jayco is doing a better quality install of cabling in trailers, but I doubt it. In my trailer (2011) they did use RG-6 cable, but: 1) they used crimp type connectors - not the satellite required (at least for DirecTV) compression connectors and 2) they installed the RG-6 cables with cable turns of as little as 1" radius not the required by DirecTv turns of no less than 6" radius.

I ran proper cable and connectors from a new outside connection. This is not a difficult or extremely technical install.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
jorge1958 wrote:
I find this satellite thing kind of interesting. What kind of initial costs are involved on one of these. I really would like to have one but worried it might be to expensive. Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

If you don't have Directv at home, I think Dish satellite receiver is a better deal. You can turn service on and off as needed, reducing your cost. For those of us with Directv at home, we simply bring a home receiver with us.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
Got a friend who is going to get a satellite dish for the camper. can he use the external cable connection on the camper to run the signal to his TV assuming the amplifier is turned off? if not what is the best method?

Yes, I've been doing it for years and it works well.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Our TT came pre-wired for satellite TV. I couldn't figure out how the factory ran the cable and where a splitter is. There's an extra jack on the ceiling above the TV at the dinette and also in the bedroom (in addition to regular coax jack). I have no idea where they expect you to put a sat. receiver.

Our external sat. coax jack is behind a bank of kitchen drawers and I removed the factory coax and ran new high quality coax up to the sat. box which sits on top of the kitchen cabinets through the lower cabinets and up inside the wall of the pantry. From the receiver I ran an HDMI cable through the ceiling over to adjacent to the TV where the radio is. There is a large grommet beside the radio for the component cables to the TV and the HDMI cable runs through that. All new cable is fully concealed. I changed out the single receptacle at the microwave for a duplex type and the receiver plugs into that.

I'm curious where other folks put their receivers? Luckily with the arched ceiling we have, there is an open space above the kitchen cabinets that is just tall enough for the receiver and is the perfect place. In later model years of our TT, KZ filled in the opening with a piece of luan. Absolutely no place in the bedroom for a receiver other than attaching to the ceiling...

I did about the same thing but had to add a simple satellite input outside. I ran the cable up thru the pantry to the satellite box near the ceiling next to the microwave and added a duplex as you did. I used the Dish Wally receiver because it puts out little heat and uses an RF remote. The Wally can be turned off completely with an inline switch that I added. I also ran HDMI to the main TV area, and using a Sewell splitter it goes on to the bedroom TV. I didn't have any open composite inputs on the TV and no coax output on the Wally, so that is the reason for all HDMI. The splitter is powered by an extension cord with a switch so it can be powered off. Everything is concealed, even the receiver. The Wally can be hung on a wall vertically if need be.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most newer RV's have RG6.

Any splitters between the Dish/LNBF and receiver need to be "power pass" splitters.

Depending on the receiver, some do not like being run through the antenna amplifier plate, even the cable-in part of it. It screws with the built in switch on a 3 LNB head such as a Dish 1000.2 or 1000.4

Some manufacturers get it almost right, such as Rockwood/Flagstaff, but most do not. Rockwood runs a dedicated run, from a dedicated outside jack to a dedicated inside jack. Even then the coaxial connectors were installed sloppily and left loose in buried locations.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jorge1958
Explorer
Explorer
I find this satellite thing kind of interesting. What kind of initial costs are involved on one of these. I really would like to have one but worried it might be to expensive. Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks
2000 Mallard 26E
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our TT came pre-wired for satellite TV. I couldn't figure out how the factory ran the cable and where a splitter is. There's an extra jack on the ceiling above the TV at the dinette and also in the bedroom (in addition to regular coax jack). I have no idea where they expect you to put a sat. receiver.

Our external sat. coax jack is behind a bank of kitchen drawers and I removed the factory coax and ran new high quality coax up to the sat. box which sits on top of the kitchen cabinets through the lower cabinets and up inside the wall of the pantry. From the receiver I ran an HDMI cable through the ceiling over to adjacent to the TV where the radio is. There is a large grommet beside the radio for the component cables to the TV and the HDMI cable runs through that. All new cable is fully concealed. I changed out the single receptacle at the microwave for a duplex type and the receiver plugs into that.

I'm curious where other folks put their receivers? Luckily with the arched ceiling we have, there is an open space above the kitchen cabinets that is just tall enough for the receiver and is the perfect place. In later model years of our TT, KZ filled in the opening with a piece of luan. Absolutely no place in the bedroom for a receiver other than attaching to the ceiling...

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our single exterior coax input prominently labeled sat ready, would only pass cable tv signals, satellite tv signals would not reach our sat receiver. Removed faceplate for interior coax output and found a splitter that does not allow sat signals to passthrough unhindered, simple 10 minute rewire mod and it has been passing HD satellite signal without issue ever since. At least in our case, there is no visually detectable degradation of satellite signal using the stock coax installed in our 10 year old rig, even when using a 100' of coax HD picture is clear and sharp. FYI, we set up our own HD sat antenna mounted on a tripod.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
Best permanent method is to add a new external weatherproof coax connector, a new RG6 coax from there to a new inside coax wall plate, and a new RG6 from there to the sat receiver. Due to the TV location and cabinet arrangements it was a simple process on mine and all hidden from view.

X2 ^^. The satellite cable installation in our rig a) had such poor quality connections, and b) used such low quality coax that the satellite antenna (Pathway X2) would work and lock on only about half the time. Running a dedicated, permanent cable brought this up to 100% of the time.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I told my friend that as long as the cable is RG6 and any splitters inline should have the MHz rating to pass satellite he would be good. he does have a Keystone Hideout '17 so chances are good.. There is a splitter for the inside/outside tv he has to check.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.