cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice For 2013 Dodge EGR

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I did a search but I can't find my answer so I thought I would ask someone. My Ram is a 2013 6.76 and I want to know your experience in servicing the EGR valve. Truck went in for a recall and he said I was approaching mileage to change it at a tune of $1,200.00. I have no issues with the truck, or lights on etc. I cannot really even find at what mileage I am to do this service. I have changed out my CC filter but this one is throwing me. What is involved in the changing of the unit? Dave Smith says they clean the system @ $649 which is less but is it the right way? Any thoughts please. Also, do we have a DPF on our trucks and do we RE-Gen because I have never seen anything light up for that either if we do.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
41 REPLIES 41

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bighog01 wrote:
I got a CEL at 67,500. I believe the manual says to change CCV filter and clean egr system at 67,500. Once I did so the problem was solved. I don't own the Ram anymore so I can't check the manual.

Please tell what year your truck WAS???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
I got a CEL at 67,500. I believe the manual says to change CCV filter and clean egr system at 67,500. Once I did so the problem was solved. I don't own the Ram anymore so I can't check the manual.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

You are CRACKIN!!! Please show me in writing where that is REQUIRED.

Geno's accidentally sent me gaskets for my 15 with the filter I ordered. I called them and asked am I missing something, they apologized and said it was their mistake and that after 2012 they did not REQUIRE any cleaning.

Well if that is true than call Geno's back up and ask them if the 2013 and up trucks do not "REQUIRE" any cleaning than why do they sell a kit for it? "EGR CLEANING KIT W/O FILTER ('13-'18, 6.7L) Item #: EGR2".

Just asking.

Don

I will say this on edit, ALL EGR valves will become carboned up and start to stick. So even if it is not a "REQUIRED" item it sure as heck would be a good idea to do it as preventive maintenance. Again there, is a reason they have a kit to do it.

They did send the gaskets accidentally with my filter. When I received the filter I thought what the HE!! are these gaskets for???

I called Geno's and spoke to the same person that took my order. I said my truck is a 15 am I missing something???

He apologized and said the kit is specifically NEEDED for 07.5-12 non DEF trucks. He said NO I did not need the kit as all that is needed is to replace the filter on 13's and up. He sent me a return shipping label and i sent him the parts back.

I also had a talk with the Service Manager in DFW, TX that told my Son the cleaning was required on his 15. Son called me and said I thought the filter was all that was needed. I said get the guy on the phone. Nice guy and he admitted the service was "recommended".

Don't know how to make this any more clear as I even showed a picture of my service schedule that says "Replace Crankcase Ventilation Filter (CCV)" Every 67,500 miles.

I would say if you have a 13 and up that continually tells you to keep driving for the region to take place maybe do the cleaning. I NEVER have anything like that and have reports showing my oil it good to past 15k.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Geno's accidentally sent me gaskets for my 15 with the filter I ordered. I called them and asked am I missing something, they apologized and said it was their mistake and that after 2012 they did not REQUIRE any cleaning.

Well if that is true than call Geno's back up and ask them if the 2013 and up trucks do not "REQUIRE" any cleaning than why do they sell a kit for it? "EGR CLEANING KIT W/O FILTER ('13-'18, 6.7L) Item #: EGR2".

Just asking.

Don

I will say this on edit, ALL EGR valves will become carboned up and start to stick. So even if it is not a "REQUIRED" item it sure as heck would be a good idea to do it as preventive maintenance. Again there, is a reason they have a kit to do it.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
I wonder if my EGR needs to be cleaned...:B

Since you are knowledgable about these trucks please try to set the FACTS straight on this subject.

It was a joke since my EGR has been sitting on a shelf in my shop for over three years now.

I understand that, I was hoping someone could put this subject to bed and get people to stop spreading FALSE info.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Since you are knowledgable about these trucks please try to set the FACTS straight on this subject.

It was a joke since my EGR has been sitting on a shelf in my shop for over three years now.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bighog01 wrote:
The 2013's and up DO require EGR valve cleaning at 67,500 miles. You will get a CEL although the truck will continue to run fine. It is a simple job. It's on top of the engine. Let mine sit in a small bowl of Simple Green for a few hours. Hit the tight spots with a toothbrush. Would recommend a new gasket kit. They are cheap on Amazon. The cooler should be cleaned as well but that's a lot more work.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
bighog01 wrote:
The 2013's and up DO require EGR valve cleaning at 67,500 miles. You will get a CEL although the truck will continue to run fine. It is a simple job. It's on top of the engine. Let mine sit in a small bowl of Simple Green for a few hours. Hit the tight spots with a toothbrush. Would recommend a new gasket kit. They are cheap on Amazon. The cooler should be cleaned as well but that's a lot more work.

You will get a CEL for scheduled maintenance? I could see something like an oil change minder but not a CEL.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
I did a search but I can't find my answer so I thought I would ask someone. My Ram is a 2013 6.76 and I want to know your experience in servicing the EGR valve. Truck went in for a recall and he said I was approaching mileage to change it at a tune of $1,200.00. I have no issues with the truck, or lights on etc. I cannot really even find at what mileage I am to do this service. I have changed out my CC filter but this one is throwing me. What is involved in the changing of the unit? Dave Smith says they clean the system @ $649 which is less but is it the right way? Any thoughts please. Also, do we have a DPF on our trucks and do we RE-Gen because I have never seen anything light up for that either if we do.

Do you put DEF fluid in your truck? If you answer yes than your truck will regen as needed.

As to the EGR delete it and forget it. Mine has been turned off for almost four years now and as soon as the warranty is gone the unit and the cooler will be off my truck.

Best thing for your turck

Don

So if it is not in the owner's manual that it needs replacing I would ask the steelership to show you in writing that it needs changing not cleaning.

Here is a video on how to clean the EGR yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7WDGzdanCQ

EGR parts kit without filter

I'm not sure why he didn't remove the cover on the backside of the EGR after removing the spring and keepers so he could remove the whole valve assembly. That is what I would have done.

My light came on to replace my CC filter so I did that at an independent. If it wasn't for taking it in on a recall I wouldn't have known anything concerning the EGR. Truck runs fine so I'll just keep truck'in.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:

Do you put DEF fluid in your truck? If you answer yes than your truck will regen as needed.

As to the EGR delete it and forget it. Mine has been turned off for almost four years now and as soon as the warranty is gone the unit and the cooler will be off my truck.

Best thing for your turck

Don

So if it is not in the owner's manual that it needs replacing I would ask the steelership to show you in writing that it needs changing not cleaning.

Here is a video on how to clean the EGR yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7WDGzdanCQ

EGR parts kit without filter

I'm not sure why he didn't remove the cover on the backside of the EGR after removing the spring and keepers so he could remove the whole valve assembly. That is what I would have done.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Son had his 15 in for warranty work. Son said they said he had to do a cleaning. I said get the guy on the line. We had a 3 way call with Service Mgr. The guy was nice and finally admitted they RACOMEND the cleaning. NOT required!!!

Replace the **** CCV filter ONLY on the 13’s and up!!!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Dealers make lots of money by recommending services that don't necessarily need to be done. I'm not very knowledgeable about that particular engine, but if the manual doesn't require it and the truck runs well with no codes, save your money and don't do it.

X2. You’ve changed the filter so drive on and be happy! :B

There seems to be a lot of confusion around the 2013 and up models not needing the “big service”.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes