cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airstream>>

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
I been thinking about trading our Minnie Winnie for an airstream. But the DW is not happy about it. She claims that she loves our current T.T. This is creating a conflict between both of us. Its not pretty, we have been thru a T.T. Motor home,and this new one in the last year. She says there is something wrong with me. That no matter what I buy I am never content. Is she right?

Please advise..

Thank you,
Kennedy>>:(
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
87 REPLIES 87

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ. . . I like this nice civilized discussion ! I'm on my 2nd AS trailer and I simply wouldn't have anything else ! Is it/are they perfect ? Oh no, they're not ! But I am SO not interested in a white fiberglass trailer of any kind, because I'm very fond of my AS. I'm 6'1 and I've never hit my head, there's plenty of storage for us 2 & the pup, the shower I can fit in, & the rear outside storage compartment has a Coleman Roadside grill,2 folding chairs & assorted parts & pieces. It's a '10 28 footer which I bought last year for 50% of the MSRP of a '14 same model. And I don't really care what you are camping next to me in, just say hi & we'll share an adult beverage & swap lies ! See you on the road, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
My FIL had an AS. He went from a 17' jayco to a 24' early slide model Kit to the AS Excella. The AS had a leak, that didn't ever show for years, but manifested itself in a smell that was more akin to spilled brake fluid or something rather than the usual moldy smell. Taking apart the front dinette was what lead to the leak, which never was visible from outside.

It was heavy, much heavier than the Kit, which prompted him to lose $10K on replacing the truck with basically the same one with a 6L engine, which costs him $$$$ in daily driving fuel today.

The AS was never worth all the hype. He rarely used it. The shower door fell off, the automotive style headliner began to sag (Just like a GMC motorhome) and lots of little things, plus the upkeep on the skin was a chore, and there was $#!+ for storage. It was dingy, dark, and cramped.

The traditional 24' Kit TT was the best he had. I used the Kit a few times before I got out of my popup. Loved it.

I have gone through a popup, a GMC motorhome, and now have my 2010 Nomad Smooth side TT, without a slide. The GMC was fraught with automotive issues, and the curved walls, like the AS made interior space cramped. My Nomad is the best of the three.

If you want comfort, ease of use, and space, I'd stick with the TT that you have that SHE likes, and mod it to your content. (I heavily modded mine).

If prestige rolling down the road is what you want, buy the AS and deal with a *****y wife and a cramped heavy trailer.

Ifyou really want an AS, go hang out in one for a few hours or rent one. You will probably end up keeping your TT.

My 2 cents.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:

That no matter what I buy I am never content. Is she right?

Please advise..

Thank you,
Kennedy>>:(

Yes.

BTW - Nothing against AS, but (for sure) you won't be happy with that one either.

~

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never having owned one, I would be hard for me to judge the worth of an Airstream. :h

Why do people pay six figures for a 1930’s painting from an artist that very few people know even existed? Because they feel it is worth the investment. Others would not give a dollar for it. :E

If it is what you want, at the price you want, that is all the justification one needs. My own personal opinion is Airstreams are not the shape, size or price I like. But I am not much for artwork either. :B
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
That is a fact, but they were expensive to make. Most people won't spend the money. If Airstream would use the heavy duty frame that Avion used, they may be able to justify their price.

Avion's were well made and heavy. Unfortunately changes in ownership that started with the original manufacturer's commitment to build a quality product as a priority to later on Fleetwood where the emphasis was on bottom line profits. That basically was the beginning of the end of Avion as a major aluminum framed/aluminum skinned travel trailer.

Airstream has gone through a few owners as well but managed to stay in the marketplace. And for a few years they were even owned by a food manufacturer, Beautrice Foods. Amazing!

The Avions didn't weight much more than an comparable size Airstream. Airstream uses the body as a significant part of the "structure" and therefore uses a weaker frame. Once the body starts to separate from the frame, structural issues begin. I have never heard of any of these problems on any Avion trailer. Airstream keeps adding amenities without increasing the "foundation" of their trailers. Check out the 22' issues from just a few years ago.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a fact, but they were expensive to make. Most people won't spend the money. If Airstream would use the heavy duty frame that Avion used, they may be able to justify their price.

Avion's were well made and heavy. Unfortunately changes in ownership that started with the original manufacturer's commitment to build a quality product as a priority to later on Fleetwood where the emphasis was on bottom line profits. That basically was the beginning of the end of Avion as a major aluminum framed/aluminum skinned travel trailer.

Airstream has gone through a few owners as well but managed to stay in the marketplace. And for a few years they were even owned by a food manufacturer, Beautrice Foods. Amazing!
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disagree....with compromise both get part of what they want. It's called Marriage and the only way it will work WELL. In 52 years DH and I have learned a lot about this.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I would much rather have my wife happy than both of us only half happy or half disappointed with a compromise decision that works for nobody. After a career in the work place and a lifetime (almost) of being married, I learned that compromise rarely if ever works and when it appears to work it only lasts a short time. Some people pretend that it works, but in reality it really never addresses the issue. But, each to their own. It is what it is and if it works for you that is all that is important.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
I seriously thought about buying a Silver Streak due to the all aluminum body and superior construction methods to the Airstreams but gave up on that idea after touring a couple of them. Even though the Silver Streaks have more room than Airstreams they hardly had any room compared to a modern travel trailer. It was also hard to find a Silver Streak without skin damage.

It is too bad Avion quit making their aluminum trailers as they were well built and had interiors that were made to last.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Disagree....with compromise both get part of what they want. It's called Marriage and the only way it will work WELL. In 52 years DH and I have learned a lot about this.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still of my original opinion that making lists of likes and dislikes and then sitting down together and sorting it out is the best way. There is a part of me that would love a moderately sized/priced Class C. DH has no interest and definitely no interest in spending that much money. If he came home and found one sitting in the driveway...... I do remember together deciding that my current vehicle needed to be replaced. We had a price range agreed upon. We had looked at several and found a couple of models we both liked, but no movement on decision. While he was at a week long business meeting, I had some spare time and went shopping. Found the right car at the right price range and bought it. Didn't bother to mention it until he called that evening. At the time I thought it was a good idea. NOT HAPPY!, to say the least. Ultimately, he did love the car and could live with the pricing and payment arrangements, but was really PO'd that I just made such a large decision on my own. Will not do that again. No, he's not a cheapskate or an ogre, but he rightly felt that we should have gone together, gotten all the info and then signed the papers. I hate to admit that he was right, but he was right. Don't just go off and buy it!

The shortcoming with your approach is that as a compromise nobody gets what they want. At least when one gets what they want it works for that person. I have never felt that compromise works for any long term success between two or more people with competing or different interests.

To the OP, go get the Airstream. If you find your wife absolutely hates it (virtually impossible I would suppose after all it is an Airstream, the RV that makes travel dreams come true) then get her what she wants and you just suck it up as you at least made her happy. It is worth a try.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Right where we were when I left.....I know almost next to nothing about Airstreams other than they cost a bundle, relatively, are very nice looking and have a great reputation. I DO know that if I didn't want an Airstream and DH did, and just went and bought it and brought it home, it would not be a good evening. This is a major purchase and to add another "issue" to the mix is not going to be helpful.

Still of my original opinion that making lists of likes and dislikes and then sitting down together and sorting it out is the best way. There is a part of me that would love a moderately sized/priced Class C. DH has no interest and definitely no interest in spending that much money. If he came home and found one sitting in the driveway...... I do remember together deciding that my current vehicle needed to be replaced. We had a price range agreed upon. We had looked at several and found a couple of models we both liked, but no movement on decision. While he was at a week long business meeting, I had some spare time and went shopping. Found the right car at the right price range and bought it. Didn't bother to mention it until he called that evening. At the time I thought it was a good idea. NOT HAPPY!, to say the least. Ultimately, he did love the car and could live with the pricing and payment arrangements, but was really PO'd that I just made such a large decision on my own. Will not do that again. No, he's not a cheapskate or an ogre, but he rightly felt that we should have gone together, gotten all the info and then signed the papers. I hate to admit that he was right, but he was right. Don't just go off and buy it!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Filiform corrosion on Airstreams
Delam on fiberglass trailers
Wood rot on corrugated aluminum sided trailers

Pick your poison.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks again for all the good info. Although I have purchased new RVs in the past, I don't think I would ever buy a new Airstream. It seems there is very little or no difference between a new one and a 5 year old model.

What concerns me about Airstreams is the problem with filiform corrosion.