cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aliner running fridge while traveling?

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you here that travel with an Aliner, do you run the fridge while on the highway?

I do this with my truck camper, but not sure if it is done with these little trailers.
1997 F350 CrewCab PSD 4x4, auto.
2005 SnowRiver 8'10", Loaded + EU2000i.
2005 8.5'x16' Interstate West Cargo trailer, Line-X'ed
2005 16' Fish-Rite Rogue welded aluminum boat, 2005 40HP Yamaha 2-stroke O/B.
7 REPLIES 7

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
Using the 12 volt mode for the fridge uses a lot of battery power, anywhere from 10 to more than 20 amps depending on the size. Even if you have sufficient wiring from the tow vehicle, it puts a strain on the tow vehicle's electrical system (Older bulb type headlights use about 10 amps of power). Also an automatic disconnect should be installed to prevent draining the tow vehicle's battery when the engine isn't running.

If you must run the fridge when traveling, the LP mode is preferred. Some have difficulty keeping the heater lighted due to air turbulence and have added baffles to help out. Others always turn the fridge off when refueling due to the possibility of igniting fueling vapors.

The easiest and safest is to add some thermal mass (ice packs) inside the fridge and this will keep it cool for many hours. Keeping the fridge filled of cans of cold beer will have the same effect.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a three way but I run it on LPG while traveling.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
See above
Greetings from eastern Washington!
2012 Flagstaff T12SDTH (Hardsided Toyhauler Pop Up)

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
Dont have an Aliner but do have an A-Frame a 3-wy fridge which I run om 12v while towing and switch once we are set up at camp.
Greetings from eastern Washington!
2012 Flagstaff T12SDTH (Hardsided Toyhauler Pop Up)

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I would (and do) run the refrigerator while travelling. Personally I use LP for the trip and often onsite. At home, I pre-cool on 120v electric.

If you have some concerns based on something in particular, let us know buy otherwise you should be hood to use it.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Our Aliner has a three way fridge so we run it on 12 volt while on the road and switch to gas or electric once camp is set up. been doing this since 2005 and fridge still works great.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
If it is an absorption type fridge in A-liner that runs on propane like the one in the truck camper, then a fridge is a fridge is a fridge. I see no reason not to run the fridge in transit, though I never do. Mine will stay plenty cold for at least 5 hours in transit and I rarely travel over 4 hours at a time, so....
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."