cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I the only one this has happened to?

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Am i the only one this has happened to? I pull into my site, level up on blocks, and start Unhooking in the rain. After I get the WD bars Unhooked I lower back down and unlock the ball latch. I raise it up again (chains still attached), the ball stays in the socket so I add some pressure, it pops loose and because the wet ground the trailer rolls back, buries the wheel chaulk and the jack comes off the block and buries itself too low to get the hitch on the truck under it. A few pump jacks later, the problem was resolved.

Lessons learned: don't rush because the rain, and leave the safety chains on as long as you can.

I feel like a dope. Been rving for years.
18 REPLIES 18

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Had that happen to use one time many years ago. I will never forget the sight of my wife with a death grip on the tongue jack trying to hold back that #7000 trailer (it stopped after a couple of feet). ๐Ÿ™‚

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I've unhooked many times in the rain and also on sunny days on loose gravel. I have used both the plastic chokes and the metal expansion chock. I think of all those times when the truck was just high enough to get it off the ball. High adventure that. BUT I always use a piece of 12 X 8 X 16" under my jack that in itself makes for a safe disconnect and reconnect.
One my brand new TT I broke down and have the automatic system for leveling and disconnect. What a joy and it has a memory for what the height was for the ball disconnect.... life is good
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I had something similar happen once at home, except I had the tongue jack (post) directly on the ground and we we got a heavy rain and it sunk. (dirt, not a drive way). This was one of my earliest "oops" with my RVing experience, many years ago.

After that, I've kept one of these on the tongue tack post, which helps from the post accidently sinking in the ground. I never remove it.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You'd have to take the chains off sooner or later. I have always used wheel chocks and not those cheap plastic things from Camping World. Mine are large and solid rubber.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE