cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andersen hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
On another thread, it was posted that the Andersen hitch is not a weight distribution hitch and should not be used on a vehicle that requires one.
When hooked up without it, my truck drops 2” in the rear and raises about 1” in front.
When hooked up with it, the front is within 1/4” of unloaded and the rear is down 1”. This basically levels out the truck, which sits tail high when unhitched.
I’m pretty sure that weight was put back on the front axle, removed from the rear axle and some was given to the trailer axles.
I’m also pretty sure that is what a Weight Distribution Hitch does.
I’m just posting this for the possibility that others contemplating getting an Andersen might be mislead by someone who more than likely has never used one.
My camper is 5000# loaded with a 600# tongue weight. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it seems like that’s a pretty good average.
If we ever go to a heavier rig, I’d probably change the WDH. We’re very happy with our present setup, so I really don’t see that happening.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch
40 REPLIES 40

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:

Please explain how the weight,I mean real weight like 500 lbs is transferred onto the front of the vehicle.

What does GM "Require" for front axle weight restoration on a 2500HD? Zero, on my 2012 and 2013 models. Is the current version of the Andersen hitch the best hitch on the market for "all" applications? No. If you need to unload a thousand pounds off your rear axle, get a new tow vehicle. If you enjoy a lightweight, clean, quiet towing experience, then you might be one of the lucky people who can take advantage of an Andersen hitch.

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I am very familiar with the operation of the hitch. I guess if it transfers even a 2lbs onto the front axle it can call its self a WD hitch.
Please explain how the weight,I mean real weight like 500 lbs is transferred onto the front of the vehicle.I researched this hitch along with others before I bought most most recent. Again. please tell me how the weight is transferred with no leverage.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
If you understand the basic function of a weight distribution system then you understand the function is to take weight off the rear axle and distribute it onto the front axle of the tow vehicle. The only way to do this is with pretty serious leverage. When you see those large forged spring bars flexing and putting weight onto the front axle you see what kind of force it takes. Those 2 little springs may help with sway control since its trying to keep things straight but will be very ineffective in actually transferring weight to the front of the truck. Pretty hokie set up if you are going to call it a weight distribution set up. That 4 or 5 inches of leverage won't do a thing on a heavier trailer and doubt it would do much on a light trailer. Save your money and get a Reese,a Curt or a 4way system.

If you read the first post, you will see that it is in fact a weight distribution hitch.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
If you understand the basic function of a weight distribution system then you understand the function is to take weight off the rear axle and distribute it onto the front axle of the tow vehicle. The only way to do this is with pretty serious leverage. When you see those large forged spring bars flexing and putting weight onto the front axle you see what kind of force it takes. Those 2 little springs may help with sway control since its trying to keep things straight but will be very ineffective in actually transferring weight to the front of the truck. Pretty hokie set up if you are going to call it a weight distribution set up. That 4 or 5 inches of leverage won't do a thing on a heavier trailer and doubt it would do much on a light trailer. Save your money and get a Reese,a Curt or a 4way system.

Seems pretty obvious you don’t have an Andersen or understand how it works (which, by the way, DOES work). The sway control comes from the friction cone. The urethane springs compress more as the chains are tightened, which does transfer weight to the front axle. Just because the Andersen is innovative and looks different doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. Best parts: light and grease free.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
We have heard from some actual Andersen hitch owners and those that think it is a joke. Just like every time in the last five years that the subject comes up except there are more satisfied users every year. Used to be just a couple of people who actually tried one.

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
ajriding wrote:

That is what is called a progressive spring rate. The bars have a more linear spring rate, and a linear spring rate is better in this situation.

I also tend to end up at rough places, dirt roads that get worse near the camping spot, so I have to take the bars off before I get there. The bars are easy as I just use a lever to unload the spring, but the Anderson requires jacking up the tongue?

Exactly! Thanks, linear is the word I was trying to think of and for some reason I couldn't think of it (oh no). That is a good point regarding unloading the spring. I guess you could unload the hitch by turning the nut, but it is a LOT easier if you jack it up with the tongue jack first.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
rhat is what is called a progressive spring rate. The bars have a more linear spring rate, and a linear spring rate is better in this situation.

Do you have some actual engineering to back that up or just a guess because it it not what you have? What is wrong with a little resistance when that is all that is needed and more as the load increases? That may well be one of the reasons that many actual Andersen users comment on the improved ride and less porpoising.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
....sipI just use a lever to unload the spring, but the Anderson requires jacking up the tongue?

Not getting very much weight distribution if the bars are that easy to remove. I am no weakling but lifting the tongue helps me.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:

Never had an issue with that over the many places we've gone with the hitch. I would add though, that unlike springs which have a more consistent spring constant, the urethane "springs" resist compression more as they are compressed. So while they may compress easily at the beginning, they become more difficult to compress as the force is increased. I think this is what helps prevent the urethane from "bottoming out".

That is what is called a progressive spring rate. The bars have a more linear spring rate, and a linear spring rate is better in this situation.

I also tend to end up at rough places, dirt roads that get worse near the camping spot, so I have to take the bars off before I get there. The bars are easy as I just use a lever to unload the spring, but the Anderson requires jacking up the tongue?

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
mr_andyj wrote:
The red urathane bumper is the spring, so it does have a spring, a red urathane spring.

For those that have one... How much angle difference between the truck and trailer can be had? The red bumper is short, so the spring travel will be small, and when it bottoms out that is it. With bar springs they will keep bending or the trailer frame will bend, but mostly the spring bar will bend as needed.

Or what happens if you go too far? Will the bolt-on mount just twist forward and no harm other than having to re-set it?

Never had an issue with that over the many places we've gone with the hitch. I would add though, that unlike springs which have a more consistent spring constant, the urethane "springs" resist compression more as they are compressed. So while they may compress easily at the beginning, they become more difficult to compress as the force is increased. I think this is what helps prevent the urethane from "bottoming out".

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our old WDH with an Anderson a couple years ago. Night and day difference in all respects. Quiet, smooth and no jerking. Easier to hook up. There is no way I would go back. We are pulling a 29.5' Earthbound with a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I really can’t say how much of an angle it will take. The urethane bushings is compressed about 1/4” on my setup. Again, I have no idea how much it can be squeezed.
I do know that it has never moved the brackets, deformed anything or stopped us from going anywhere.
However, we don’t go trooping through the outback, crossing gullies, fording rivers, etc. We have been on some pretty rough and twisty roads out west that limited us to 10 mph or less.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
The red urathane bumper is the spring, so it does have a spring, a red urathane spring.

For those that have one... How much angle difference between the truck and trailer can be had? The red bumper is short, so the spring travel will be small, and when it bottoms out that is it. With bar springs they will keep bending or the trailer frame will bend, but mostly the spring bar will bend as needed.

Or what happens if you go too far? Will the bolt-on mount just twist forward and no harm other than having to re-set it?

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
I had one, and the only real issue was that it is not suitable for big trailers. Mine's 34 ft, with a tongue of 900+. I was easily able to get full weight transfer back to the front of my F-150. But, with that long of a trailer, it is easy to overpower the friction in the cone, so wind/truck suck were bad. Great concept, and I wish it would have worked out for me. For those with small to mid-size, I would recommend.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK