cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson no sway hitch

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who use this hitch how many threads are showing behind the nut when you are set to tow?
Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
BubbaChris wrote:
1 Thread showing, then 3-5 full turns with the supplied socket (I marked it with a sharpie to make counting easier).

Part of getting it set up well is having the dimensions correct for mounting the anchors on the TT's frame. Ours slipped at least 1/2" when out tech initially installed them, making impossible to get things right.

We had him correct the issue and it is now possible to make things too tight.

I'm going into my 3rd season with it and not 100% happy. This year's fix is to swap out my P-series tires for LT's to see if that solves more of my wiggle. If not, then next year I'll dump the Andersen for a Blue Ox Sway Pro.

My justification in waiting is with the Andersen my wife is 100% capable of getting us hooked up (great for when I'm working part-day before our trips). With anything else, I'm sure I'll have to put the hitch onto the Expy at minimum.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I wanted to ask a few questions about your Wiggle situation...

1) have you had a four wheel alignment? I know that some IRS towers have had issue when the rear was slightly out of alignment.
2) have you aired up the tires to the max on the sidewall of the tires?

Thanks for your feedback on the Andersen.

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Without checking the literature, in the trailer, I can only go from memory. I think the trailer weight as used is about 5K. I have not noticed any sway with this hitch. I too have noticed the scuffing of the ball but I don't detect significant metal removal. Running my finger over the scuff does not give the perception of anything other than texture difference. Think about the sensitivity of touch, move from a thin sheet of paper to a flat surface and you can detect that, perhaps 0.002 to 0.003"? When the scuffing is no longer apparent I will check the tang on the hitch before being concerned about the ball.
We are probably up to about 12K miles using the hitch and 2+ years into being very pleased with the change in ride and handling. Really bad roads are still bad but not totally unbearable, good roads require memory checks to see if the trailer is still there.
Now if it would just increase gas mileage as much as wife happy mileage...

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
Interesting, I have those same wear marks on the ball. I wanted to lube the ball, but felt it would effect the sway control. It has about 15k miles on the hitch and can see by 30k, I might need a new ball.

How well is the Andersen hitch controling your sway? What are you towing-weight?
Thanks

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, I have those same wear marks on the ball. I wanted to lube the ball, but felt it would effect the sway control. It has about 15k miles on the hitch and can see by 30k, I might need a new ball.

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
It is spelled Andersen. I use between 1/8" and 3/16" compression for a smooth controlled tow.

I think measuring for compression is better than counting threads. Depending on how things line up from one hook-up to the next the triangle plate may be turned slightly more to one side or the other. As long as you have the right amount of compression on each side the thread count doesn't matter. I use around 3/16" as well. My brackets are welded as I couldn't cure the slight slip under tension so once I have the correct amount of compression it's guaranteed to stay put.

Also, after using it for a while there were some very distinct wear spots showing on the back of the ball from up/down movements. I'm using a tiny amount of Lucas Oil White Lithium grease just on the wear spots. I also use a very small amount where the chains enter the brackets. I clean the ball and coupler periodically to avoid getting a build-up that could affect the anti-sway function.
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
I drop the coach on the ball and then tighten to just around 5 threads showing. then drop it all the way. It seems to perform best with that number showing, but honestly with air suspension on our eco diesel I have not even used the chains and it tows great around town or on country roads. Highway and semis need the anti sway effect and and it does a great job.

---Salt and mag chloride get caught in the triangle/shaft and man it can squeal like scared pig. WD 40 spayed carefully on that region works but be careful not to get near the ball, as that is your anti sway.
If you use the Andersen hitch without the chains, you will get no "anti sway" effect.
This is explained very well by our Moderator in this post.

You can go ahead and put WD 40 or a lubricant on the ball.
Just don't use so much that it runs down onto the friction material.

The sway resistance is not generated between ball and coupler.
The sway resistance is generated between the ball shaft and the friction material -- but only when the chains are used to force the ball shaft to rotate relative to the friction material which holds the shaft.

Ron

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I drop the coach on the ball and then tighten to just around 5 threads showing. then drop it all the way. It seems to perform best with that number showing, but honestly with air suspension on our eco diesel I have not even used the chains and it tows great around town or on country roads. Highway and semis need the anti sway effect and and it does a great job.

Couple of things, make sure your are identical and I mean identical on both clamps/chain mount distances from ball. Mine never slipped as I installed them. I tow from the west to south and western regions and often get caught in bad weather. Salt and mag chloride get caught in the triangle/shaft and man it can squeal like scared pig. WD 40 spayed carefully on that region works but be careful not to get near the ball, as that is your anti sway.

I love the hitch, simple and works great for our set up. Excellent value. I can see however for a real heavy coach and moderate tow vehicle a pro pride or the like would be best. I used the dual cam on our airstream and it was complicated. This is elegant simple engineering. I would buy another in heartbeat.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
1 Thread showing, then 3-5 full turns with the supplied socket (I marked it with a sharpie to make counting easier).

Part of getting it set up well is having the dimensions correct for mounting the anchors on the TT's frame. Ours slipped at least 1/2" when out tech initially installed them, making impossible to get things right.

We had him correct the issue and it is now possible to make things too tight.

I'm going into my 3rd season with it and not 100% happy. This year's fix is to swap out my P-series tires for LT's to see if that solves more of my wiggle. If not, then next year I'll dump the Andersen for a Blue Ox Sway Pro.

My justification in waiting is with the Andersen my wife is 100% capable of getting us hooked up (great for when I'm working part-day before our trips). With anything else, I'm sure I'll have to put the hitch onto the Expy at minimum.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
5 threads.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Without adding any weight to the ball (trailer hitch on ball, but not fully lowered), I hand tighten each side and then tighten 3 more turns using the socket.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on loading, water/no water etc. 3 1/2 to 4 threads showing. Occasionally I will check tv & trailer for heights.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
It is spelled Andersen. I use between 1/8" and 3/16" compression for a smooth controlled tow.