cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any tips for installing a cover, without a roof ladder?

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
I really need to get a cover on my trailer. As it sits in storage it's really starting to fade one side of the trailer.

I bought a cover and tried putting it on by throwing the lashes over the top and pulling it over but couldn't do it.

My trailer does not have a built-in ladder to access the roof. My understanding is if it doesn't have a ladder that means I'm not supposed to walk on the roof. And the roof is a bit rounded on top, so sketchy to walk on.

Any tips for putting a cover on in this situation?
12 REPLIES 12

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Dont make my mistake. I used a rope tossed over from one side to the other then tied an end to the cover and pulled it up, over and then down the other side. Problem was where the rope came over the top and down the side it was rubbing on the edge of the roof. The rubbing/abrasion of the rope wore a hole in the membrane and caused a leak that I ended up patching with a strip of eternabond. Now I carry the cover up a ladder and roll it out on the roof and then let it drape down the sides.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I store my cover in a plastic trash can, folded accordion style, so the front of the cover is on top. I put the can in the rear of the RV, grab the top and climb up an 8 ft ladder placed at the rear side corner. I then walk it to the front, and toss it over the front cap. I then unfold it and toss over the side while going to the rear. Yes, you have to coax it over the AC and vent pipe. Then you get down and secure it with the straps.

To remove and store the cover, I unsecure the straps, get on top and pull up the sides, folding each side toward the middle two or three times. I then get down, place the can in the rear, and slowly pull the cover off the roof folding into the can, which means I have the front on top when done. Yes, you may have to get on the roof and release it from a snag, but usually it comes right off.

Make sure your using pool noodles to cover the down spouts, and the door stopper. Use bubble wrap for other sharp edges.

After you do this once, you become an expert! Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
RichieW13 wrote:
I really need to get a cover on my trailer. As it sits in storage it's really starting to fade one side of the trailer.

I bought a cover and tried putting it on by throwing the lashes over the top and pulling it over but couldn't do it.

My trailer does not have a built-in ladder to access the roof. My understanding is if it doesn't have a ladder that means I'm not supposed to walk on the roof. And the roof is a bit rounded on top, so sketchy to walk on.

Any tips for putting a cover on in this situation?

toss your "understanding" My trailer has no roof ladder, has a huge back window, but the mfg still lists the roof as walkable. In fact I'd say unless the mfg says the roof is NOT walkable it is walkable.

I have an orchard ladder (3 legged so it is stable on virtually any ground) tall enough to reach the top off the roof and it just carry mine up then put it on.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2, myredracer. Very similar to my method.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an Addco cover for our 29' TT. I lean an extension ladder against the side with a folded up blanket or something behind it to protect the edge of the roof. The ladder needs to be extended above the edge of the roof a couple of feet. Then I joist hoist the whole cover in it's bag on a shoulder, climb up and toss it onto the roof. We roll it up so that I can start at the rear of the roof and roll it towards the front. I push the sides over as I roll it out forward. Then I go down the ladder and tug it down all around until it hangs right. Usually takes around 30 minutes to get it up and all rolled out.

This is my method and others will have their own versions. The Addco covers aren't very heavy. I'd sure hate to have to climb a vertical RV ladder with a cover. If you look up specs on your make & model, it should say if it's a walk-able roof. Ours does at least.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The key is in the folding of the cover, spotting it correctly on the roof and then rolling it out using a ladder without going on the roof. Three years...not on roof but my TT is 7.5 feet wide, only 10’ 1” high and I have longer arms.

“My understanding is if it doesn't have a ladder that means I'm not supposed to walk on the roof” Not necessarily true. I don’t have an attached ladder...don’t want one...but my roof is walkable. Generalizations and understandings are often not correct.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
frisbeekev wrote:
I had this problem. I used An 8ft ladder. I took the cover and run rolled it towards the front or back depending on how I fold it. Then as I unfold it I place 5 or 10lb weight plates to hold the top secure as I unfold it over the edges. Then remove them when it is all in place.

Did you unroll it while it is on top of the trailer? So you lifted the whole cover up there and then unrolled?

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem. I used An 8ft ladder. I took the cover and run rolled it towards the front or back depending on how I fold it. Then as I unfold it I place 5 or 10lb weight plates to hold the top secure as I unfold it over the edges. Then remove them when it is all in place.

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
What Lynnmor said. My previous trailer had no ladder but was a walkable roof. Current trailer has a ladder, but it was an option.
I used to use a step ladder to work aside the trailer to put on the cover.

I tried a 6-foot ladder on the side, but still didn't stand a chance. The cover is too heavy to pull from the other side, and was probably catching on the A/C units. My trailer is one of the taller style trailers.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
What Lynnmor said. My previous trailer had no ladder but was a walkable roof. Current trailer has a ladder, but it was an option.
I used to use a step ladder to work aside the trailer to put on the cover.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Many without a ladder can be walked on. If you use plywood panels with smooth edges that span at least three trusses, that would help.

When I used a cover, I placed the whole mess in the center of the roof and tossed the cover ends in the direction they needed to go.