cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aquariums

JEM675
Explorer
Explorer
So I am looking to buy a travel trailer and live in it mostly year round, but I have one main concern; my turtle. I have a pet turtle who is not able to be re-homed and needs at least a 75 gallon tank (around 600 lbs when full). Would a slide out be able to hold that weight? If modified? I will not move the trailer often and when I do it the tank would be drained. I also would build a stand for the tank and will try to counter balance the weight if it is possible.
If the slide out cannot support that weight would any other part of the trailer?
20 REPLIES 20

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy a kiddie hard plastic pool and when parked, set it out for the turtle. Cover with wire mesh if critters could be a problem or escape. Put the turtle in an ice chest while on the road so water won't splash all over.
Maybe a hitch mount trunk box would hold 600 pounds if it's a good enough receiver hitch.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Good Lord ~~ Good Luck !! ~~ Remember water is NOT static ~~ one quick stop or hard turn and ~~ well it is a lot of mopping'

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
A 75 is awful tall so the length and width are not that great. Take a look at some other tank sizes, A 30 long or a 40 breeder would drop the weight without losing too much manuevering room.
A 40 breeder is 36" long by 18" wide by 16" deep.
A 30 long is 36" long by 12 5/8" wide by 16 3/4" deep.
Petco carries the 40 breeder tanks, 40

But even with the lower weights, any water in them while traveling is likely to blow out the glue joints. You would have to empty the water when moving and transfer the turtle to something like a plastic storage container.

Also how big of a trailer are you looking at? there are several brands which make 25' and longer models with a pair of recliners or a sofa across the rear that would be easily set up to hold the tank instead. Which would keep it out of the slide.
Here is an example, 2520 passport
Or for a larger one 2900 Passport

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Seems like a lot of weight but when you fill a dinette with standard Americans it's going to weigh that much.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doubt you will have any trouble as long as the slide and trailer is stationary when filled.
There are exterior slide frame supports if you feel something is needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I would not put a 600 pound aquarium on a slide. Be careful of the footprint too. That’s a bunch of weight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad