Explorer
Explorer
They seem stable in Australia

19 REPLIES 19

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
In the early 2000's Hybrids were everywhere in my area. All dealers had numerous selections. Lately I'm seeing fewer being sold new although I see quite a few at the campgrounds I frequent. They're still popular but not to the extent of 15 years ago.

We loved ours for 10 years. Never any problems and looked like new when we sold it. But the kids grew and we no longer needed all the beds and wife and I switched to a 5th wheel. Already had the 3/4 ton truck to pull it.

We have two main types, the expanda type by Golf and others Other type is PopTop Caravans. Fairly cheap in the later case. Can go too 24ft with a double axle

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
In the early 2000's Hybrids were everywhere in my area. All dealers had numerous selections. Lately I'm seeing fewer being sold new although I see quite a few at the campgrounds I frequent. They're still popular but not to the extent of 15 years ago.

We loved ours for 10 years. Never any problems and looked like new when we sold it. But the kids grew and we no longer needed all the beds and wife and I switched to a 5th wheel. Already had the 3/4 ton truck to pull it.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
My โ€œboxโ€ is 7 feet wide and 13 feet long. The name B-17 must have included the tounge

They very from 16 too 19ft here

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
My โ€œboxโ€ is 7 feet wide and 13 feet long. The name B-17 must have included the tounge
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
I see a couple each time we go camping, as well a a few pop-ups.

But the campsites are still mostly occupied by hard side campers.

We got ours after spending a few years borrowing the family popup. We loved the openness, and the sounds of the rain on canvas, and all that in the popup.

Just wanted more space and our own bathroom(with a door, not a curtain) to avoid late night trips to the bathhouse with the kids.

Had it for over 3 years and no regrets. I tell people to check them out all the time if they need a lighter camper.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
" The trend toward larger tow vehicles"? The only place such a trend exists is on this and other RV related boards. Less than 1% of the RV owning public ever visits one of these boards, and even less are active posters.

Light truck sales have been growing steadily among the general population year-over-year for quite a while now. Here's a couple charts. One shows a bit more than two years, the other shows 5 years.

http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html
https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_retail_sales_of_light_trucks_saar

With the general public generally driving larger vehicles, for those few that want to tow a trailer, they're able to tow larger/heavier. The main benefit of hybrids is space relative to size. Being able to tow a larger heavier trailer means fewer people making the compromise choice of a hybrid.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
atreis wrote:
You still see them around, but they seem to be less popular than they were a decade ago. I suspect this has to do with the trend toward larger tow vehicles. I moved from a hybrid to a hard-side trailer for lower setup time/effort. No need to mess with reflectix, end cover, etc... when it's going to be really hot or cold. Also, the kids got big enough to want their own space, so bunks were in order.

As for interior colors: I like wood. It shows dirt a lot less than the white/black/gray interiors would. ๐Ÿ™‚

" The trend toward larger tow vehicles"? The only place such a trend exists is on this and other RV related boards. Less than 1% of the RV owning public ever visits one of these boards, and even less are active posters.

I am currently at a PA state park and my site has a good view of the main entrance. I see many more trailers going past being pulled by 1/2 ton and mid sized trucks, and mid size SUVs than 2500 and up trucks. I'd guess its at least 5 to 1 if not more.

As far as hybrids there are 127 sites occupied according to the clerk at the contact station, and I lost count yesterday afternoon at 32 hybrids coming up the hill. Thats around 25% not counting ours and the 3 others that came in Wed or Thu. They have always been popular around this area and continue to be. The dealers sell them as fast as they get them, and if they're in any half decent shape do not sit on a dealers used lot long when traded in.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
I wish my hybrid would grow, but last time I checked it was still 13 feet long when packed up

How can it be 13' long when the box is at least 17'?:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I wish my hybrid would grow, but last time I checked it was still 13 feet long when packed up
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
You still see them around, but they seem to be less popular than they were a decade ago. I suspect this has to do with the trend toward larger tow vehicles. I moved from a hybrid to a hard-side trailer for lower setup time/effort. No need to mess with reflectix, end cover, etc... when it's going to be really hot or cold. Also, the kids got big enough to want their own space, so bunks were in order.

As for interior colors: I like wood. It shows dirt a lot less than the white/black/gray interiors would. ๐Ÿ™‚
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I currently have a hybrid. Good for milder weather. Not good for serious heat or temperatures much below freezing. They are great to tow and have plenty of room. I like the open feel when the windows are opened up.

Most people are more comfortable closed up with hard sides. They feel more secure and can moderate the temperature better. Hybrids will probably always be a niche market unless there is some more innovation.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned a pop-up for many years, hybrids intrigue me ! I think I would prefer one where the end fold DOWN, although the ones that fold UP have a better rain shield.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dont know about growing but in western PA youll see plenty. We are in our 3rd since 2010. Right now at a PA state park and there are only 8 sites occupied, 3 are hybrids including ours, and 2 are popups. Just observing when we are camping hybrids are usually at least 20%. It seems to be a regional thing.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer

Avan is the overall company name Golf is a sub brand that makes folding trailers and Hybrids. Avan Motorhomes are based on the Ducato
Another Hybrid manufacturer