cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgraded to a 1994 18ft Aljo :)

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Well I took the risk last winter and sold our 17ft TT in order to spend a little more and upgrade on something newer & larger. I listed our old trailer and sold it in a matter of weeks, but ended up spending MONTHS searching for the perfect replacement.

If you are interested in seeing more about my previous TT, click here: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29331789/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

After selling the trailer I was on the hunt for our replacement. I only had a few months before school was out and camping season began. I searched the obvious markets like craigslist and facebook but was only finding trailers MUCH larger than I was interested in, or way out of my price range. Our tow vehicle is a 2002 Toyota Sequoia, and I am searching for something smaller than the average 21ft double axle. I also need a TT that offers a top-bunk so our two young boys can have a bed of their own.

After a few weeks of my initial search, I began to daydream about replacing our 2WD sequoia with a 4WD model and maybe we could find one that has a better looking interior and maybe drove smoother. It really only took me one day to find something within my budget. And after a quick discussion with the wife, she gave me the okay and before I knew it, instead of a new TT I was bringing home a second Toyota Sequoia!! :h

Here they are side by side, 2WD on the left and the new 4WD on the right.

I got an even better deal than I expected after a short haggle, and I had to put a quick pause on my TT search so I could sell the 2WD Sequoia, and get the funds back for the purchase of our new trailer. But it didn't take long to find a buyer and I was able to sell the old Sequoia and resume my search with cash in hand!

Several weeks passed and I looked at a few different 19ft models and even contemplated picking up a 21ft at a very low price when the market was saturated with them. But I'm glad I didn't because one evening I refreshed my craigslist browser search and there she was.... the perfect TT, and the perfect price!

It checked off every box I had:
-18ft from hitch to bumper
-dual axle with elec. brakes
-top bunk for the little guy to sleep in
-retractable awning
-newer & larger than our old TT

The guy lived a couple hours away and agree'd to meet with me in the morning, so I made sure to wake up early so I could be the first person there to see it. Just as planned, I had arrived to check out the TT at 8am and was the first person to view the trailer. I asked him to demonstrate that everything worked, and during that time his phone wouldn't stop ringing. After I was satisfied with what I saw, I made him an offer which he accepted, and I hitched up my new TT to bring it home!!

Here's a picture of the new setup, about to make the 2 hour drive home.

The truck & trailer made it home without much trouble. I did notice the engine temps climb higher than normal, which was concerning. But it didn't overheat (more on all this later). Once I got home, it was time to show it off to the family, and make sure they approved.

Of course the family loves it, and cant wait to take it on the first trip!
8 REPLIES 8

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Wow! That is exactly like our first travel trailer, a 1995 Aljo 1850 Deluxe. I miss that little trailer.

Yup Model 1850 just like ours ๐Ÿ™‚ I feel really lucky to have found this model with this floor plan. You just dont see them in this size anymore.

gaymeadowsman wrote:
Wow, it's hard to believe that little trailer is 24 years old! It looks great. The way my 2014 is built I can only hope it will last that long. I hope you have many years of fun with your family in you Aljo.

I hear that so often! These new travel trailers you see just aren't built like they used to be.

JIMNLIN wrote:
Need to down size the pictures per forum recommendations. That way we don't have to scroll back and forth to read and see.

I apologize for the "over sized" images. Anybody with a modern day screen set to a respectable resolution should have no problem viewing & reading the thread. I chose the larger images because its easier on the eyes than trying to view thumbnails.
I hope you will be able to adjust.

*edit*
I can see now how viewing this thread on any mobile device would be a hassle with the large images ๐Ÿ˜ž I wish this forum would utilize current code which auto resizes images for mobile viewers.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations on your new set up. Wow, that is a really nice looking 1984 trailer !!! I would love to find one that clean to replace my 1993.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
delete per fat fingure....jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Need to down size the pictures per forum recommendations. That way we don't have to scroll back and forth to read and see.

Looks like new and thats a great size to travel with.
Our 1st 5th wheel trailer was a new '84 Aljo 26'. We double towed behind it with a 3400 lb bass boat and had it for 9 years with lots of great memories.
Much of the interior materials in the pics didn't change much from '84 to '94.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, it's hard to believe that little trailer is 24 years old! It looks great. The way my 2014 is built I can only hope it will last that long. I hope you have many years of fun with your family in you Aljo.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new toys. That's a neat TT. :C

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! That is exactly like our first travel trailer, a 1995 Aljo 1850 Deluxe. I miss that little trailer.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
So with our first trip only weeks away, we had to make sure our new TT was family ready!

First thing first, I had to replace the old spring mattress with a new 8" memory foam mattress. And also picked up some cozy fleece flannel sheets ๐Ÿ™‚

Next was to make sure my youngest son felt safe sleeping in the top bunk. Our trailer has the typical dinette that converts into a twin bed, but above the dinette the cabinets fold down to create a top bunk. To keep my son from rolling out of bed at night I built a railing out of some scrap 1x4. And I also ordered a RV bunk ladder for my son to use since the trailer did not come with anything.

And last thing that needed to be done was to mount a spare tire holder and bike rack on the rear bumper.

I was worried about all the extra weight hanging off the bumper, but when I closely examined the bumper it appears to have been reinforced with extra angle iron. So I am pretty confident it will hold a spare & 2 mountain bikes ๐Ÿ™‚

That is pretty much all that was needed to be done really. After that it was time to load it up and take it out for the first trip.

And a few weeks after that, we enjoyed our second trip in the TT.

With our third trip coming up in a few weeks. So stay tuned for more... ๐Ÿ™‚