cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are Travel Trailers selling at all right now?

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if travel trailers are selling at all right now. I'm needing to list a 2018 Camplite but not observing much activity at all. I'm out here in Colorado. What's happening where you are?
34 REPLIES 34

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Judging by how hard it is to book a reservation at campgrounds we used to have no trouble getting into, Iโ€™d say the dealerships are selling a lot of RVs. Up until the virus, we saw a lot of new RVs in campgrounds. Lots of newbies too.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer
I window shop - a lot - and am a member of several Facebook RV groups. Seems many are still buying trailers which surprised me. There is nowhere to take them right now, at least in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast.

Dealer prices for new and used seem to be dropping to an extent. Camping World has their smallest bunkhouse listed for $9995. The local dealers I check frequently seem to have dropped prices roughly $1K for the bunkhouse floorplan I'm interested in. Used inventory listings have remained fairly static. No in-person sales here, so I expect quite a backlog.

I thought craigslist would have a glut of TTs for sale now but that is not the case yet here.

When this is over there will either be an explosion of buying due to pent-up demand, or the economic damage caused by the lockdown will really depress the RV industry for some time to come.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mark and Linda wrote:
I was down in Florida a few weeks ago. I still wonder how they sale all those trailers in the lots. On the way back home up the interstate all the trailer sales are packed with RV's and travel trailers. Who buys them?

I wonder the same thing where I live. There's several massive RV dealers, all with massive amounts of inventory all the time.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I was down in Florida a few weeks ago. I still wonder how they sale all those trailers in the lots. On the way back home up the interstate all the trailer sales are packed with RV's and travel trailers. Who buys them?
Mark

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
A friend just sold his two year old motorhome to a couple from New York. I didn't think it was possible.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The toy hauler we just bought was used and I heard the PO mention paying some bills with the money. Of course he also mentioned wanting a bigger one ??
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I sold my Nash 17k about two weeks ago and replaced it with the TT in my signature
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
There will be exceptions but...

If this ends soon, it won't have much impact longer term. There might be some deals but those will quickly be snatched up and prices will rebound.

If this goes on much longer, you will see people liquidating assets to stay out of bankruptcy. At the same time, the pool of people with cash to buy will shrink. This will drive market prices down substantially.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 30' toy hauler to replace our 18' toy hauler and will leave the 18' behind the house till prices come back up. Being in SoCal it will sell next desert season but I'm not taking less than it's worth.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s a buyers market for obvious reasons. Probably a REALLY good buyers market. Buy what you want, then sell yours when the market recovers which it will.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hoerschel wrote:
Newbieatcamping wrote:
I just bought a travel trailer

Newbieatcamping: Did you buy new / used; from a dealer or individual? State? Any special incentives you were offered because of the pandemic? Your motivation to buy now? Thanks. Just wondering what the dynamics are out in the marketplace.

I bought a used travel trailer from my local dealer, they did take some money off...but they are also including a bunch of stuff with the sale(weight distribution hitch, a complete service, a new battery, both propane tanks filled, all hoses for hook ups, etc)

I am in CT my wife always wanted a camper I never wanted one. I know the owner of the dealership he wasnโ€™t selling much. Luckily my wife and I are both still working without concerns of slowing down(sheโ€™s a nurse and I work on heavy equipment) so I figured what the heck letโ€™s buy a camper!!

FWIW, my parents also have a camper they store at my house during the winter months since they donโ€™t have the room and I have 2 spots on my property set up perfectly for campers so I figured what the heck. Letโ€™s fill up both spots

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Great time to buy. Bad time to sell. With many people losing their jobs or worrying about losing them and nest eggs taking a big hit, it will be quite a while before buyers start coming back at full price.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think a lot of things are moving.

We have our creekside listed and it's getting some activity, but not like normal for this time of year.

It almost sold, but fell thru at the last minute.

I'm betting once the stay at home order is over things will move much quicker.

Luckily we're not in a rush, bought the replacement last fall so we've had 2 trailers for a while.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Straight up....you ain't selling anything right now.

My account hasn't budged in over a month.

BUT with heavy inflicted cabin fever, you'll be able to sell a dead parrot when this breaks.

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
Newbieatcamping wrote:
I just bought a travel trailer

Newbieatcamping: Did you buy new / used; from a dealer or individual? State? Any special incentives you were offered because of the pandemic? Your motivation to buy now? Thanks. Just wondering what the dynamics are out in the marketplace.