cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Artic Fox 811S

MADDUO
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone! Looking for some help. I have an AF811S and am curious about the strength of the rear aluminum bumper. I need to carry a 2nd spare and am curious if the bumper would support a Tiregate Adventure series Universal Hitchgate plus a spare. Weight would be approx. 190 lbs.

If anyone can help I know the great people of this forum can. Posting pics of other people's solutions would be great too. I have looked into a front bumper mounted solution but I need to reserve my front receiver hitch for my mtn bikes.

Thank everyone and look forward to your solutions.

Doug.
13 REPLIES 13

MADDUO
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1: I've been researching that option as well. Found someone on here with the formula to figure out how much weight your putting on the back since you have the extension. I could stick to the tire gate swing out model and still have access to the back door. I just don't know how clean it would look, plus it would take away from what little departure angle I have now.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
what about a hitch extension with the tire carrier slotted into it behind the TC?
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

MADDUO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip Butch50. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the tire up and down from the roof. I took a look at the photo thread and there are some great solutions in several threads. I've also looked at ladder rack bike carriers so that I could put the spare up front, but that would prevent me from gaining roof access. I would have to take down bikes and rack to get up on the roof of the camper. Plus the bike racks I've looked at I don't know if I would trust them with the amount of money I have invested in mtn bikes.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure if you put it on the roof that you do not lay it flat on the rubber roof otherwise you well probably be in for a bad surprise when it wrecks the roof by rubbing it. Anything that is not attached is going to move and vibrate some which well wear on the roof.

I want to know how you are going to get the 80 plus # up and down from a roof that is 12' off the ground. :E I know I sure wouldn't want to do it.

As far as on the front of the rig I drove our truck from Arkansas to Alaska and back last summer, over 11,000 miles and I had a front rack with a tool box on it and never had any heating problems. A tire would give more air flow than my tool box did. Also on my F550 I had in 2006 I had my tire mounted on the front of it (as there is no mount under the truck on the chassis cab models) and never had a heating problem on it.

Take a look at the sticky section Photo thread and you well see a lot of people use front end carriers. I think if there was a problem with it one of us would have noted it here.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

MADDUO
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg. I have a Buckstop bumper now but usually reserve the front hitch for my mtn bike carrier. It is an awesome bumper and it houses my Warn 16.5Ti. Plus I'm worried about the restricted air flow with a tire up front. With the bikes up front I haven't had a problem with engine temps. I went with two spares after having two tire failures in Tahoe. So when I do extended trips/miles I want to have a back up spare.

Looks like I'm leaning more towards just putting it on the roof in the cheesy factory roof rack and having to worry about getting it down when I come to that point. Guess, I'll set it and forget it until I need it?

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
get an aftermarket front bumper and put it there, I have a Buckstop and would recommend them, why would you need 2 spares?
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
MADDUO wrote:
It's a 2010 if my memory serves me correctly.

I wouldn't carry that much weight on either the original bumper of the new Fox Landing style bumper.
Bob

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
Talk to Torqlift if its the fox landing ready bumper. Their website says they have various mounts in development. I'm going to investigate mounting a Honda 2000 on my WolfCreek 850 which has a cut down version of the fox landing bumper.

Oopsโ€ฆdidn't catch the bumper generation!
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L

Bedlam
I agree with the other members about not using the bumper. Use the front or rear hitch receiver to carry a second spare. You could even carry the second spare in a cargo basket connected directly off the OEM rear hitch if you don't mind part of it extending beyond the rear TC bumper. Two spare tire covers (one over each side) would reduce exposure if you're worried about damage.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 811S and have the same rear bumper as yours. I wouldn't attempt to carry that much weight on that bumper. Have you considered installing a front mounted hitch receiver? They are in the $130.00 range and will carry a substantial amount of weight and wouldn't restrict the rear entry into your camper.

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

MADDUO
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2010 if my memory serves me correctly. I agree it is alot of weight. The tire carrier is 101 lbs, so maybe I could find a lighter solution and just have the weight of the tire. I'm guessing rim and tire are around 90. Im sure I've searched about putting it on the roof, but can't remember what was said about that. The big problems I see with the tire on the roof is mounting it and retrieving it. Plus the weight of it on the roof can't help with the already top heavy characteristics of the camper itself. Im pouring over google now trying to find solutions.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Northwoods second generation bumper would probably work. Its much beefier and mounted much stronger for the Fox Landing step. If you have the earlier version like many do, Im not sure I would want to add that much constant weight to it. Keep in mind that a 200 lb person using the bumper along with the spare tire and carrier could put almost 400 lbs on the bumper.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
If I was you I sure wouldn't put that type of weight bouncing up and down as you go the road on the rear bumper. I believe that they are just screwed into the back of the camper which is fine for entrance and exit of the camper but not meant to support weight in motion. I would find or make up a swing out mount that could be used in your rear receiver. Or switch where you bikes ride and put them on the rear and then use a front tire mount for the front end.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View