cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back up lamps

skidoorider
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering mounting back-up/spot lamps on the back of our travel trailer to help with "after dark" trailer backing and campsite set up. Would it be better to mount lamps above the rear bumper or below the bumper near the rear stabilizer jacks?

Thanks,
RB
2007 Jayco 29BHS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
9 REPLIES 9

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I installed mine above the rear window of the TT. It was an easy install since I already had 12v in a storage cabinet on the inside wall.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job, Jerry.

Makes my old rubber mounted tractor flood light install look like a hammer and chisel hack job.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
I installed regular truck lights into the rear bumper.
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Roy,
What kind of light did you use back there?
Also, didn't know VA was a prime snipe area. They are few and far between up here.:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Peg Leg - At least they let me take it back home with a sticker on it but I had to come back in a couple of days to show them I have moved them... It is on the way to Westmoreland anyway so I just stopped in there on the next trip... They are all deer hunters in there and I just barely make it out alive as it is. They love my off-road POPUP trailer - I had to open it up one inspection so they all could check it out on the inside hehe..

We all country folks around here. Been snipe hunting before as well... As a kid I had my bag and big flashlight and was gonna show those big boys I could come with a bag full of them... I stayed out so long they all got worried and came out to look for me. There I was sitting on a tree stump around the hugh lake with my bag and flashlight...

Actually the Inspection did me a favor as I see real good with them on the rear side.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I would put them under the front of the trailer pointing out past the tires. I can't see behind the trailer, I need to see where the tires are tracking.

Another tip that I use is to cover the TV lights when backing to eliminate the glaring reflection off the front of the trailer. A couple rags and pieces of tape do the job adequately.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
The main thing is to mount them where they won't hit the ground and make an early exit.

Roy, you should have told them they were axillary lights for snipe hunting.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I mounted mine under the rear bumper only to fail the next safety inspection because the backup lights were not DOT APPROVED TYPE. They also did not come on when I was in reverse as well... They didn't like me having them on a simple ON-OFF switch???

I moved mine to the side of the trailer near the rear after that and actually gives me a better view what happening back there anyway... I can't actually see anything directly behind my trailer. I didn't have an issue with safety inspections after moving them to the side of the trailer.

You might want to check with your local DMV Inspection station first...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

cmack
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted mine on top of the bumper shinning down about 10' out and slightly outward so I could see when turning. I also had a rear camera mounted which is a great help.
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat SCREW 4x4 3.5EB 3.55
2014 Dutchmen 190QB
Equal-i-zer 1000# hitch
TM-508 TPMS