cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BATTERIE/CHARGING ISSUES

KeTuanis
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I left my trailer plugged into the car tow package overnight(7 prong) and I woke up to dead batteries, both trailer and car.

Even though my trailer was plugged into the 30amp station at the rv park.

Will the inverter not charge the batteries if I leave my trailer plugged in the car?

Help!
16 REPLIES 16

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
KeTuanis wrote:
I am confused about one thing after reading this thread.
Is it an INVERTER or a CONVERTER?

Generally....

CONVERTER: Converts 120vac to 12vdc

INVERTER: Converts 12vdc to 120vac

Some inverters are also inverter/chargers that actually do both functions one at a time as needed.

Post the model number off the unit or electric panel to know exactly what you have.

I assume what you have is a converter. BTW some are a lot better than others depending on your style of camping or battery recharging expectations.

KeTuanis
Explorer
Explorer
I am confused about one thing after reading this thread.
Is it an INVERTER or a CONVERTER?

KeTuanis
Explorer
Explorer
Trucked used was my son's. It was a Dodge RAM 2500

GreysonY
Explorer
Explorer
Whether to use an inverter or a generator depends on the type of load and how often you will need emergency AC power. Generally, an inverter is more economical power alternative to run items under 1000 watts, suitable for small appliances, TVs, VCRs, DVD players and other low load devices. If you plan to operate a refrigerator, freezer, washer, dryer or well system, then a generator is a better choice. If your planned power consumption exceeds 2000 watts, you should choose a generator, as the draw in the battery will rapidly deplete its power. inverterreview.com

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
KeTuanis wrote:
Hi guys, I left my trailer plugged into the car tow package overnight(7 prong) and I woke up to dead batteries, both trailer and car.

Even though my trailer was plugged into the 30amp station at the rv park.

Will the inverter not charge the batteries if I leave my trailer plugged in the car?

Help!

What TV do you have? I'm curious to know. Don't know about GM or Dodge, but Ford trucks cut the connection between the trailer and the truck if the key for the truck is off. There can't be a parasitic draw from the TV to the trailer.

When sleeping in a Walmart parking lot while on the road, I leave the trailer plugged into my F150. Never have a problem.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

KeTuanis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the explanation on the cable. I was wondering what that cable was all about.

I am away from my trailer for a couple of weeks. I will follow up on all the advice given and let you know if any of it resolved the issue.

Thank you all for your valuable input!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Plug in and check your battery voltage direct on the terminals. 13.2+ is charging. 12.5 or less is not charging.

Post the results.

Otherwise yes when you are plugged in all batteries should remain charged.

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
KeTuanis wrote:
Regarding the Brakes switch you mentioned:

Are you saying that normally we need to unplug this device when we get to shore?

Would unplugging the trailer from the Truck do the trick?

What exactly do you mean by pull the cable?

There should be a thin cable attached to the safety chains that will get pulled if the hitch should come off the ball. It engages the trailer brakes. Make sure this wasn't somehow pulled, thereby engaging the trailer brakes. At least I assume that is what he is referring to.

KeTuanis
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the Brakes switch you mentioned:

Are you saying that normally we need to unplug this device when we get to shore?

Would unplugging the trailer from the Truck do the trick?

What exactly do you mean by pull the cable?

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Did you find the issue? Something "high draw" had to be on to kill all the batteries. I'd look at the break-away switch for the trailer brakes. Under the propane tank, see if the cable is pulled.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
KeTuanis wrote:
Thank you for your reply. Very helpful. I will check those right away.

And to clarify, the only reason to run the AC is to make sure I am getting a good feed from the RV electrical station, right?

I just look at the clock on the microwave.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boomerweps wrote:
KeTuanis wrote:

And to clarify, the only reason to run the AC is to make sure I am getting a good feed from the RV electrical station, right?

Previous poster meant to check an Alternating Current only device to check your shore power. That could be your Air Conditioning.

Correct. Plug in a lamp, cell phone charger, use the microwave if you have one or even the air conditioner if you'd like ;). Some folks make the mistake that because the lights are on and the fridge runs that the shore power is good.

KeTuanis
Explorer
Explorer
AC-LOL. Thank you. great minds think alike ๐Ÿ™‚

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
KeTuanis wrote:

Previous poster meant to check an Alternating Current only device to check your shore power. That could be your Air Conditioning.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,