cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery in key fob ?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came out of restaurant today , punched the door fob , battery in fob was dead . I could have unlocked with key but next door was Auto Zone , replaced battery , all fine ! My question is if fob battery was 100 % dead would my 2014 Ram 2500 CTD have started , does the fob have to have juice for motor to run ?
38 REPLIES 38

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Now if they just didn't hide the key hole.

Regarding security, There seems to be a very large percentage of people that leave them in the car where I live. Kids just go door to door and find cars that start at the push of a button.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
As for the original question of the FOB battery. I remote start my 2010 Ram 99% of the time with my FOB and it's original near 9 yr old battery.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
I'm not sure how many of the enthusiastic adopters of fobs and vehicle connectivity have a background in RF or security. I have been in tech over 40 years and see glaring issues with the current line of products that cannot be updated or remediated other than disabling them. The saving grace is that thieves typically are not that smart and the configured devices and tools are not as pervasive or available for these exploits. Anyone that is computer literate or ambitious can cheaply build or program devices that can create a bypass due to this drive for more convenience.

The key fobs are far, far more secure than (non-electronic) cut keys. Adding digital chips to the mechanical keys (an immobilizer of some sort) can readily be shown statistically to have cut down on vehicle theft by a considerable amount. RF key fobs are basically just the immobilizer system, which provides the real security, without the physical key to get bent or worn or mired in crud.

I certainly don't know all the systems in use, but the ones I've seen described (at least recently) are generally fairly secure; IIRC they use a rolling code, often challenge and response setup. A simple replay attach is useless. My (old) garage door opener remote is much less secure than the keyless entry for my car. In either case, someone wanting in need only employ a rock or hammer....

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I'm not sure how many of the enthusiastic adopters of fobs and vehicle connectivity have a background in RF or security. I have been in tech over 40 years and see glaring issues with the current line of products that cannot be updated or remediated other than disabling them. The saving grace is that thieves typically are not that smart and the configured devices and tools are not as pervasive or available for these exploits. Anyone that is computer literate or ambitious can cheaply build or program devices that can create a bypass due to this drive for more convenience.

I donโ€™t know if security is really the point but going electronic does raise the bar. People have been punching cylinders and using shaved keys for years.

Keys have had anti theft coding of some form for the past couple decades. Absolutely they can be defeated just like the fobs today. If that wasn't the case auto thefts would have been zero over this time frame. I just to not equate some level of added complexity in the push button start that wasn't present with anti theft keys in years past. There are plenty of documented problems when the key loses communication with the vehicle. The only difference to me is whether I twist my wrist or push with my finger to find out if there is a problem.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:

I donโ€™t know if security is really the point but going electronic does raise the bar. People have been punching cylinders and using shaved keys for years.

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
It's a wonderful little device!

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. ๐Ÿ™‚

Agree!

Like all NEW stuff I was against it now love it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FF286 wrote:
I Have always keep a key hidden on my truck as a backup. Once while riding atvโ€™s My friend had a pretty bad accident, my truck keys were in a storage box on his Atv. In the accident the box was damaged and we were unable to open it. Luckily I had the spare so we could leave the area.
I want the remote start on my next truck probably more than any other option, but with so many trucks using the key fob is there any way to start the truck with a back up key.

I can start our truck with a Smart Phone app or the FOB. You still have to get in the truck with the fob and press start button, before you can drive it. The emergency key is in the fob. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I Have always keep a key hidden on my truck as a backup. Once while riding atvโ€™s My friend had a pretty bad accident, my truck keys were in a storage box on his Atv. In the accident the box was damaged and we were unable to open it. Luckily I had the spare so we could leave the area.
I want the remote start on my next truck probably more than any other option, but with so many trucks using the key fob is there any way to start the truck with a back up key.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
She has plenty of reasons to get in the truck without me on the passenger side. Use your imagination.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do like electric windows, but I have had to work on several of them when they quit working. Have to admit that never happened with the roll-up windows. And I have gotten locked out of both vehicles when the keys and fob were left inside and the doors locked by themselves. Just got the spare keys, but could have been a real pain if it had happened somewhere out and about. Some things are likeable and not bad if they malfunction, but also unnecessary and mostly a marketing hook.

Some of these cars could be a real headache trying to get out of in case of an accident and the battery malfunctions. No electric door unlocks, no electric windows open. Yeah, it doesn't happen often, but it can. I still like KISS. But I like fuel injection too.

I just don't like complexity for its own sake. Like those wonderful touch screens you have to flip through to get to the radio controls. No thanks. Looks cool, but definitely not sensible.

I guess it's because I keep a vehicle for 15-20 years, and not trade them off before there are electronic issues. I can't imagine some of the problems there are going to be troubleshooting these vehicles when they hit 15-20 years old. My motorcycle is a 1999, one truck is a 2001, and one is a 2003. Our newest vehicle is a tossup between Peggy's 2014 scooter, and our 2013 sedan. None of them bought new, but don't owe a dime on any of them. That's their best feature.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Why would she want to get in without a driver? What's the advantage in that? I mean you can come up with reasons why it's you think it's handy, but really they're just excuses for added/needless complexity. And they'll bite you in the butt if something goes "Oops". KISS. And what happens when you lose that fob? I can get a spare key cut for a couple bucks. What's a spare fob cost?

Bet you love your roll up windows too. :B

I'm with you, but it's a lost cause. Simplicity is a thing of the past, now it's all gadgets all the time. I'm keeping my daily driver 20 year old Nissan Frontier till it dies (which it probably never will). Roll up windows, manual locks, no ABS, no backup camera, and a $5 ignition key.

Biggest issue I have with the touch door entry and keyless start (wife's car) is that I keep getting out of the car to get the mail while I have the FOB in my pocket (car still on). It embarrassingly honks at me...
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v