Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery issue when seasonal

rcp123
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question:

We currently keep our camper at a seasonal site, and pull out a few weekends a year. Have been doing this for the past few years.

In all the previous years, we have kept our battery connected, even when plugged into power, but this spring our battery was dead, so I took it home to replace. To date I have not replaced it yet, but plan to this weekend. So that means we have been seasonal for about 4 weeks without a battery on the camper.

In discussing this with a camper friend, he said that by keeping my camper plugged into power, without having a battery, it could do harm to my camper, specifically the converter.

Is thus true? If so, what damage could occur? I just want to make sure all is working well, as our first road trip is planned for next weekend.

Thanks for all your advice,

Ryan
Ryan & Jessica
2 Kids
5 REPLIES 5

rcp123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

I now have a battery in my camper.

My only worry was if it had done any damage to my converter. To date, nothing has appeared to be wrong or not working with my camper. Lights, etc all work fine.

But everything is back as it should be now.

Ryan
Ryan & Jessica
2 Kids

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If your lights etc work when your battery is removed then your converter is one that can run OK without batteries. Batteries dying can be a result of a number of things -- depleted water being high on the list. Modern multi stage converter should minimize out gassing - my old converter required water each month while the new one does fine with water a couple times a year.
Kevin

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We're seasonal in two campgrounds both in the north and south for essentially 9 months a year. I keep the battery in and connected throughout this time. I check it regularly (about every 4 month) and add water as needed.

In mine I need the battery because we tow the trailer essentially 4 times a year. I can run everything off the converter but I have had my larger slide stall going back in. The system is made to have the battery do the power work.

alid
Explorer
Explorer
I always use a battery on my seasonal site trailer. I find that if I don't I have some flickering of lights and 12v power dips and surges.

I had a converter go bad on me and feel it was because the battery was dead.
on the other hand..

I know many others in the campground don't have batteries installed.

If you do tow your trailer a few times a year you will definitely need a battery to power your break-away system on you trailer brakes.

So because my situation may be different than yours you may need to make your own mind up but the cost of a cheep wallly world battery is less than an converter and the pain it is to replace it.

I just buy a cheep small 12v battery and go with that. For me it is just a buffer for the converter and maybe some power when needed if for some reason we have more lights/accessories turned on then the converter can power without straining.
2009 Winnebago Adventure 32h
2006 Terry Quantum 330FKDS (beach getaway)
2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500
2007 Honda Reflex
2 house rabbits "George and MiMi"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
certain converters do need that battery. it acts as a buffer for the system. whether or not you have that kind of converter I don't know. you can hook up the new battery and check it out. be sure to unplug the TT and check to make sure every thing is turned off, lights, frig, etc, before you hook up the battery to keep the connections from arcing. reason for that is you just don't know when that battery is putting out some gas and you might have an explosion. I have a friend who owns and runs a battery store and he is adamant about making sure every thing is off before he hooks up a battery, kinda like been there done that thing.