cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beginner Questions

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I am a total newbie to the camping lifestyle.. just got my Roo a couple weeks ago..and went for a test/trial run this past weekend..Had to work out all the kinks of what I needed to do.. It was a huge learning experience I will admit..:)

I do have a couple questions though, ( and I'm sure more will arise along the way).. but firstly.. does anyone know of where I can get the reflective covers to put over the bed areas, to help keep the heat/cold out?

Secondly.. I have this nice flat screen TV..and no clue how/or what I need to do to be able to watch anything..

Thank you for your help..
Roo Camper
RooCamper...
Retired and loving every minute of it !!
30 REPLIES 30

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
You can fold the bed ends made up to an extent. When you fold the mattress to close the end it will mess it up somewhat. We use sleeping bags and roll them up before closing the ends.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I had super highwind and they had 6 paracords strung on each side and hooked to each other under the bunk.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
as PAThwacker said, use clamps along seams, for the basic PUGs.
i also sometimes clamp the top side to the rain gutter above the bunk door.
if you buy PUGs, they'll send you clamps.

others have had PUGs sew velcro on the top of each PUG and then install the other velcro side on the trailer.

don't know anything about the High Wind or Super High Wind models and how they are attached.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I use small alligator clips on the tent ends. My unit had 3/4 of an inch of free material to clamp to beyond the tent stitching. Rockwood should too. I brought a 3 step folding ladder to reach the top of each tent.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
go with super high wind popup gizmos. They work great, and are meant for both high and low temp extremes creating comfortable bunk ends.

How do you keep the PUG's from sliding down the slope of the canvas? I know the bungies will keep it on, I just don't see how they don't slide down.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
We have a Roo checklist, right by the door for takedown procedures.

Great idea !!
RooCamper...

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Roo checklist, right by the door for takedown procedures.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
TheGreatWaz00 wrote:
Hi Roo

I went through the same questions on our first shake down trip. You will connect coax from the camp ground to the outside of your HTT. Be sure to connect it to the cable and not the sattalite side . then you need to turn OFF the antenna booster by pressing the little button. If it is on you will not pick up any cable stations. Then you will need to scan all stations via yr TV.

To use the antenna press the little booster button ON. Turn the white crank handle until the antenna is up. Turn on the TV and begin scanning all stations. Be sure source is set to Air. The slowly turn the outer white ring where the antenna crank is. This turns the antenna. Turn it until you see the TV find a station the stop. You can fine tune the TV station by station later.

Place a sticky note on the door or tie a ribbon onto the antenna crank. That will remind you it is up before you leave. Many of campers look around their camper before leaving camp but rarely look Up.

Thanks again for the great info..and your right, I'll need a reminder to make sure it is down before we leave..
RooCamper...

TheGreatWaz00
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Roo

I went through the same questions on our first shake down trip. You will connect coax from the camp ground to the outside of your HTT. Be sure to connect it to the cable and not the sattalite side . then you need to turn OFF the antenna booster by pressing the little button. If it is on you will not pick up any cable stations. Then you will need to scan all stations via yr TV.

To use the antenna press the little booster button ON. Turn the white crank handle until the antenna is up. Turn on the TV and begin scanning all stations. Be sure source is set to Air. The slowly turn the outer white ring where the antenna crank is. This turns the antenna. Turn it until you see the TV find a station the stop. You can fine tune the TV station by station later.

Place a sticky note on the door or tie a ribbon onto the antenna crank. That will remind you it is up before you leave. Many of campers look around their camper before leaving camp but rarely look Up.
Waz's from Maryland
Rockwood Roo 23ss
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
HAHA.. I said that also, til we had a day of rain..
RooCamper...

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Roo Camper wrote:
~smiles~.. yes.. he did..but again, he went over "everything" from top to bottom, and to be honest..I got a bit overwhelmed..and sometimes I don't remember things a couple weeks down the road..if I had used it the next day..sure..but 2 weeks later, it was lost from the brain cell I have left.. ๐Ÿ™‚

it's often recommended for real newbies to RVing, to video the PDI, since much of it is completely new to buyers and all the info can cause overload.

luckily, we had owned two popups previous to buying our Roo, so some of the basic stuff was familiar to us.

elivi8
Explorer
Explorer
Forget about the TV. You are camping after all. TV is for home...
2012 F-150 EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow
2019 Outdoors Timber Ridge 27BHS
490 Watts of Solar

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
~smiles~.. yes.. he did..but again, he went over "everything" from top to bottom, and to be honest..I got a bit overwhelmed..and sometimes I don't remember things a couple weeks down the road..if I had used it the next day..sure..but 2 weeks later, it was lost from the brain cell I have left.. ๐Ÿ™‚
RooCamper...

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Roo Camper wrote:
Ok.. went out and checked out where the cable is supposed to be connected..along with the little black button.. here are some pics..

ok, in the first pic, the booster button and led light are right of where the coax cable is plugged in.
from your second pic, the crank for your tv antenna is above the tv, on the ceiling. you crank it up and rotate it to find signals.

i have to ask, didn't your dealer go over any of this during your PDI?
if not, SHAME on that dealer. this is basic stuff that's normally covered in PDI's.