cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best replacement awning brand??

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
The awning on our 2011 Crossroads Zinger has seen better days. It's looking pretty rough, and needs to be replaced. It's the standard Dometic/A&E Sunchaser awning that lots of campers have.

As far as replacement awning material goes....what are my options? I haven't been able to find any OEM type replacement (Dometic), but I've found a few brands on Amazon that look ok (Sunwave, ShadePRO)....but reviews are all over the place.

What's a good brand to go with when I buy a replacement awning??

Thanks!!
6 REPLIES 6

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
The funny part is that for my order, we measured exactly as described on the ToughTop site, and we assumed when received that it was the 17’ awning we had specified. We didn’t bother measuring as we were already on site, and put it on. To our surprise it was about 8 inches too wide, not a foot. Must have been a manufacturing error. We cut it by hand to get it on and will re-cut properly when we’re back home, doesn’t seem like that big a deal to fix.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for ToughTop, follow the instructions for measuring and all will work out. There is a TT YouTube video showing how to remove and install. Had DGS watch the video while I got stuff out, the replacement went like clockwork. Boy is the fabric white, I mean really bright white, but tha's what I ordered.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
Just replaced ours, Tough Top Awnings made it for us. Quality seems quite good but only time will tell.

It us my understanding that most awning replacement fabric comes from China, and that is why they have you measure arm to arm, because they have standard sizes, no custom widths. Tough Top Awnings is in Oregon, and they make it to whatever width you want. I measured so that the fabric came within 3/4 inch of each end cap.

Ours was made in USA, but that was about 6 years ago.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced ours, Tough Top Awnings made it for us. Quality seems quite good but only time will tell.

It us my understanding that most awning replacement fabric comes from China, and that is why they have you measure arm to arm, because they have standard sizes, no custom widths. Tough Top Awnings is in Oregon, and they make it to whatever width you want. I measured so that the fabric came within 3/4 inch of each end cap.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon does have Dometic OEM replacement fabric.
If possible, get the model number and search for it.
A few years ago, on a different camper, I had Camping World (gasp!) replace the awning with OEM. They had a deal of installing for $49. The cost of the fabric was no more than buying online. They did a good job, too.
Also pay close attention to how to measure for replacement fabric. It’s usually center to center of the arms, not the fabric itself.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a replacement awning fabric from a place called toughtopawnings.com. Experience was good, installation was easy with 2 people, material looks to be good quality. Only issue was that the material was wider than measured, so we had to cut one side.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter