cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Shower Faucet/Mixer

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a better quality shower faucet, along with hose, that better and more accurately mixes hot and cold water when showering. Our present faucet looks to be on four inch centers.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
15 REPLIES 15

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
I also was having problems with proper temp. control until I installed check valves on the hot and cold line just before the faucet. I also replaced the dribble valve with a on/off valve on the shower wand. Now my temp regulation is as good as my house, very happy with the mods..
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Know ahead of time that when you shut the water off at the little push button, it will leak a bit. Not to worry, as we were told, it helps to stop the boiling hot or ice cold water from blasting out first when you turn it on. It's just a small trickle. We had the Oxy Spa in both our HTT and TT and wouldn't consider any other. Love them.

This is correct. All the shower heads will trickle; this is a anti-scald feature and intentional. We kind of like the trickle as it's great for soaping up hands.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Know ahead of time that when you shut the water off at the little push button, it will leak a bit. Not to worry, as we were told, it helps to stop the boiling hot or ice cold water from blasting out first when you turn it on. It's just a small trickle. We had the Oxy Spa in both our HTT and TT and wouldn't consider any other. Love them.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up buying an Oxygenics "Spa" shower head to use on our original faucet. Got it installed today and looking forward to using it for the first time.

Thanks again for all the valuable input and help!

Mike

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
SailingOn wrote:
There were two problems:
- The hot water from any of the taps could be scalding, and the water heater temp is not adjustable.
- Shower water temp varied widely; even raising or lowering the spray head messed it up.
We installed one of the Watts thermostatic mixing valves (some call these tempering valves) at the water heater. The temp is adjusted so hot water at any of the taps is a comfortable temperature for dish washing or showering, with the cold left off.
- dishwashing is easier; no searching for the right water temp.
- shower temp is constant without fiddling, and does not vary with the incoming city water temp.
- mixing cold with hot as it leaves the water heater extends the hot water supply.

I might give one of these a try. I want to replumb my shower valves higher up the wall anyway and can install it in the shower lines then. I don't really care about the sinks. I like the water hotter there.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
SailingOn wrote:
There were two problems:
- The hot water from any of the taps could be scalding, and the water heater temp is not adjustable.
- Shower water temp varied widely; even raising or lowering the spray head messed it up.
We installed one of the Watts thermostatic mixing valves (some call these tempering valves) at the water heater. The temp is adjusted so hot water at any of the taps is a comfortable temperature for dish washing or showering, with the cold left off.
- shower temp is constant without fiddling, and does not vary with the incoming city water temp.
- mixing cold with hot as it leaves the water heater extends the hot water supply.

Interesting solution, but wouldn't work for us since we like the water for washing dishes ... especially really messing ones EXTREMELY HOT for the inital soak and washing hands much hotter than for say showering. As I originally said we have just learned to live with what we have and adjust. A little more fiddling, but hey we're camping and have the time to fiddle anyway:W

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
There were two problems:
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We went with the Oxygenics head and just left the original faucet. We like it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mobeewan, Biscuit and Larry. You all nailed it for me and saved me a lot of trouble. Again, many, many thanks!

Mike

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
mobeewan wrote:
Pretty much the problem with the faucet and hot and cold water mixing is the water heater usually has a check valve on the outlet and a minimum supply of hot water.

As long as the shower is flowing both hot and cold water are flowing. When using the shower head shut off the cold water continues to trickle and the check valve on the WH seats since the flow thru the WH is now restricted. When the flow starts the hose is full of cold water and the hot water flow has to catch up.

The other problem is that as you use hot water from the WH the water in the WH becomes colder and colder. So the only way to fix this would be to have some sort of temperature regulated mixing valve set up that can adjust the cold water flow to the shower head, but you still have that limited supply of hot water that ain't gonna last.

I myself just keep on reaching down and cutting back the cold water valve as needed and take navy showers.

I haven't seen any all in one faucet/temperature mixing with shower hookup with 4 inch centers. Sink faucets only, yes. You might look at adding a separate through the wall shower hose/line connection and adding separate mixing vale in the plumbing to supply the separate shower line.

IMHO that is a pretty good assessment of the RV water system in general and trying to get it to work like a home system or those in $3M Prevost MHs is most likely a losing proposition. This is why we prefer to use the CG facilities and reserve our onboard facilities basically for emergencies. In other words we just live with what we have and accept that it's in a trailer and as such is what it is and work with it.

YES I realize the above is not really an answer, but it's the ole "lipstick on a pig" quandry ... in the end it's still just a PIG:B

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately RV shower faucets with diverters are basically all the same......

Here is a wide selection (appearance)LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much the problem with the faucet and hot and cold water mixing is the water heater usually has a check valve on the outlet and a minimum supply of hot water.

As long as the shower is flowing both hot and cold water are flowing. When using the shower head shut off the cold water continues to trickle and the check valve on the WH seats since the flow thru the WH is now restricted. When the flow starts the hose is full of cold water and the hot water flow has to catch up.

The other problem is that as you use hot water from the WH the water in the WH becomes colder and colder. So the only way to fix this would be to have some sort of temperature regulated mixing valve set up that can adjust the cold water flow to the shower head, but you still have that limited supply of hot water that ain't gonna last.

I myself just keep on reaching down and cutting back the cold water valve as needed and take navy showers.

I haven't seen any all in one faucet/temperature mixing with shower hookup with 4 inch centers. Sink faucets only, yes. You might look at adding a separate through the wall shower hose/line connection and adding separate mixing vale in the plumbing to supply the separate shower line.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Any faucet recommendations?

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Does Oxygenics also make a shower faucet?