cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best time to buy ? now

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose the best time to buy a trailer , motorhome , or vehicle will be now. Expecting a significant $ increase in steel and aluminum would surely affect prices down the road.Something to think about.
14 REPLIES 14

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
One article I read said the average car has about one ton of steel in it. The projected rise in steel price would effect the price of that car upward about $175.

I would guess the average travel trailer has maybe half that in steel, by weight. So the price increase would be less than $100.

An expected 25% increase would be way more than that.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
One article I read said the average car has about one ton of steel in it. The projected rise in steel price would effect the price of that car upward about $175.

I would guess the average travel trailer has maybe half that in steel, by weight. So the price increase would be less than $100.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
our dealership sold a lot of unit during the month of January

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there's going to be a glut of used RVs in a few years, given that sales are brisk now, and probably 50% of those people will give up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I got a great deal back in 2014 on a 2014 trailer. It was June and the 2015 models were already on the lots. It was one of the last 2014's. Not sure what the best time is but that worked for me.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
JCR-1 wrote:
Expecting a significant $ increase in steel and aluminum would surely affect prices down the road.
At this point we don't know what's going on. Lots of bravado.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A steel price hike probably will not affect TT prices more than a couple hundred bucks. Not much on a $20,000 or $30,000 TT.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
Lots of people say the best time is at the end of the season, though it also seems to be the time that the fewest (used) RV's are advertised for sale and the time that the dealer lots are the emptiest of new units.

There may be fewer used trailers being advertised privately because once the season ends most owners lose interest, also usually thinking they'll do much better in the spring when the season picks up again. As for dealer inventory being low that really shouldn't be an issue if you know what you want as dealers are always placing factory orders and know what they'll be getting in. The only downside is not being able to walk through a particular model if the dealer currently doesn't have one on the lot. Personally I'd prefer to buy a new lot trailer in the fall as that means what I'm wanting to buy has most likely been delivered to the dealer during the spring or summer months when road salt isn't an issue. Buy one in the spring and it's almost certain to have been exposed to road salt. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
the best time, is when you find the rv YOU want, at YOUR price.

Totally agree !

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people say the best time is at the end of the season, though it also seems to be the time that the fewest (used) RV's are advertised for sale and the time that the dealer lots are the emptiest of new units.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
the best time, is when you find the rv YOU want, at YOUR price.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eat time is always the end of the season.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
I suppose the best time to buy a trailer , motorhome , or vehicle will be now. Expecting a significant $ increase in steel and aluminum would surely affect prices down the road.Something to think about.

"Best time" would have been last fall when for many of us the camping season has come to an end and dealerships are void of customers during the cold winter months ... perhaps less so in Florida but certainly true further north.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
So what are you looking at?
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k