cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to travel the Pacific Coast

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning everyone, The DW asked me to start planning a trip to see the Pacific Coast (CA, OR, Wash). My simple question to start is " Is it best to travel north-south or south-north to do so? My plan would be a fall trip allowing at least a month to do so. Thanks in advance for any advice/comments. Happy Trails
22 REPLIES 22

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Being a life long Oregonian I would say north to south. All the turnouts are on the right. It's easier to view the ocean heading south vs north.
I would suggest getting some reservations even for fall. Depending on what you're traveling in you may or may not fit in all spots in all CG's. Oregons coast really popular well into Oct these days.
There's not much coast line in WA. I've only been down to Ft Bragg in CA.

Agreed. But my wife didn't care to see the cliffs so close up. And, in some spots (if you have along rear overhang) the back of yu rig protrudes over the cliffs. LOL. I would ask my wife "How much of the motorhome is hanging over that cliff", as we went around a turn. 1/2 the time she would just turn her seat around and face the back (37' Motorhome). She's pretty comfortable in the truck (pulling the 5th wheel).

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many roads in CA where a 40' and longer MH are prohibited like most of highway 1. This might be a heads for a TT.

https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-operations/45-buses-motorhomes/bus-map
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slow and tedious but dramatic and fun. You need a month.

dedmiston
I've done the trip multiple times in various pieces, and I also did the whole coast from Victoria, BC all the way to L.A.

It's a gorgeous drive, but there's also a whole lot of nothing in some of those places. It's all beautiful, but it depends on your need for variety and for stops along the way.

Highway 1 through California isn't for everyone. It's narrow through Mendocino (but gorgeous) and 101 is an easier detour. The 101 is gorgeous up there, so it's no real compromise.

Highway 1 between Carmel and San Simeon can be a tough drive and I wouldn't recommend it if you're towing. I think you could easily cover this road on a day trip though. You could camp in Morro Bay (in San Luis Obispo County) and drive up hwy 1 through Big Sur to Carmel, and then turn east at Carmel to the 101 and come back south to 46 at Paso Robles to cut back to PCH below Cambria or keep going south down the Cuesta Grade and back up hwy 1 to Morro Bay.

You could do something similar to see the coast at Mendocino so you don't miss any of the highlights like Ft. Bragg.

In short, there are amazing things to see along the PCH, but I don't recommend towing a trailer down the whole thing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good suggestion above but we were in Port Townsend last summer and it was rather blah for us. Not much coast from there on 101 in WA but the Olympic Penninsula is interesting.

From the N Cascade Highway consider Anacortes, ferry ride to Friday Harbor, Whidbey Island, ferry to Pt Townsend and then either direction on 101. FYI 101 almost completely surrounds the penninsula. Long Beach WA can be interesting.

If you do Seattle be very aware of the homeless folks. Park in lots, never leave anything in the car and never open the truck for something, they are watching.

Bob

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
To do this from New Jersey ---- start from Niagara Falls across Canada Vie Mackinaw Bridge
Then US -2 across the northern states including Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone , Glacier, then Grand Coulee Dam, And the North Cascade Highway.
then start your trip south via US 101 and 1 too include Port Townsend, the Olympic Park and south.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The best OR direction is south for the OR view points which are generally on a switch back so you just pull off to the right and back on. North bound you are crossing 60MPH traffic to get off/on.

Our favorite town is Astoria. Fantastic Maritime Museum, Bow Picker fish and chips, trolly, waterfront, etc.

Bob

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Being a life long Oregonian I would say north to south. All the turnouts are on the right. It's easier to view the ocean heading south vs north.
I would suggest getting some reservations even for fall. Depending on what you're traveling in you may or may not fit in all spots in all CG's. Oregons coast really popular well into Oct these days.
There's not much coast line in WA. I've only been down to Ft Bragg in CA.