cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Xmas gift for a new "trailerer"

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
My husband told me today that for once, he knows what he wants for Christmas: A generator or a roof-top solar charging system. (I started to say "solar system," but while the smaller planets are probably affordable, Jupiter would break us.)

Obviously, the gift won't be a surprise, but given a choice between the two, which would you choose, and why?
Two retirees. Perpetual newbies. Techno- and mechanophobes.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost
25 REPLIES 25

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
First off, How much camping are doing in a year? if u just want to recharge batteries, small gen set 1000 watts min., u want to use appliances while batteries charging, 2000 watts (plus), does he want a gen set just have one, this sight will recommend a power station to run your neighbor hood, look at what you r going to use, I suggest you go down to tech thread and ask about an Invervter and solar,I have both, a good solar panel with a good controller will keep your batteries topped off, change out your batteries to 2 golf cart batteries, and you will happy, if you do weekend trips batteries will last with conservative usage.We very seldom take our gen with us anymore, solar panel on a dolly so we can move it along with a 30ft power cord for charging has worked well for us. again ask questions, what are your limits, ow long will u be gone ect., ect., good luck rusty

Marauderer
Explorer
Explorer
M.argaret, my wife and I just bought a Honda EU 3000I. we got that one for a variety of reasons number one it is the quietest 3000 watt generator out there number 2 Honda reliability and it is very frugal on fuel consumption.we looked at the champion and we looked at others but decided to spend the money on a Honda and be totally happy with it which we are.we go to four to six functions a year where we have to have the generator as there are no hookups and it is nice to know that it is very quiet and is not offensive to us or others in our camping group
Barry:B
USN (Ret.)
20 GD Reflection 337RLS
07 GMC Sierra D/A CCSB, to many mods, Anderson Ultimate with B&W rollover ball gooseneck hitch, Torque Lift Stairs, 20 ft Flag Poll
15 Grand Cherokee Limited EcoDiesel
"Red" the little Bear Dog
12 Yanmar Sc2450

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
MargaretB wrote:
Most of the people we know who have them swear by Honda, but the ones posted here seem to be mostly Champion. Is there an appreciable difference?

Most responders within this thread have mentioned the Champion primarily because of cost.

The Honda's & Yamaha's are more money.

Example being, the two Champion's (4000 watts) as a bundle are $1249.00
Two Honda's will be closer to $2000

Champion is a very good generator & excellent customer support. Most folks do purchase inverter (pure sine) type genny's because of all the electronic devices, most of use in today's world.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Community Alumni
Not applicable
MargaretB wrote:

Not even sure what an inverter is, but we did notice that most the Hondas incorporated one, so we're assuming that it's a handy thing to have.

A conventional generator is just your regular ole generator. You crank it up, it runs at a constant speed, and generates AC power. Generally they're much cheaper, but nosier and use more fuel because of the constant rpm. An inverter generator generates AC, converts it to DC, then back to AC. This ends up generating a cleaner electrical signal that's more like shore power or power to your home, which is a good thing when it comes to electronics. Also inverter generators can be throttled based on demand. If demand is low it can idle down which saves fuel. When it sense more demand it throttles up.

If you're trying to save some money then you can get by just fine with a conventional for battery charging. If noise is a consideration then the inverters are the way to go. If money isn't a concern then the more quiet inverter gens would be the way to go.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
If price is not a consideration, the honda would be my preferred choice. But pricewise, the Champion is FAR less expensive. Not having unlimited funds, I bought a Champion 2000 watt inverter. An inverter delivers clean power that can run your electronics like TV. They are also much quieter than contractor grade generators.

Yamaha is also a good inverter generator, and is priced about like the Honda.

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
?
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Both
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
We talked to the service manager at the dealership today when we took the TT in for some repairs. From there, we went to CW and looked at both solar and generators. Most of the people we know who have them swear by Honda, but the ones posted here seem to be mostly Champion. Is there an appreciable difference?

Not even sure what an inverter is, but we did notice that most the Hondas incorporated one, so we're assuming that it's a handy thing to have.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
We talked to the service manager at the dealership today when we took the TT in for some repairs. From there, we went to CW and looked at both solar and generators. Most of the people we know who have them swear by Honda, but the ones posted here seem to be mostly Champion. Is there an appreciable difference?

2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
MargaretB wrote:
No, it won't - can't - be a surprise. And we don't intend to use it to run the trailer; he's mostly concerned about recharging the batteries. We used to have power outages at least two or three times a year, but since moving in to town, that's no longer true, so we may not need it for that. Lifting heavy things could be a problem for us.

It sure sounds as though people are leaning toward the generator rather than the solar. And as usual, I appreciate both your generosity in sharing your expertise with us, and the expertise itself.

In that case, this is the one I have. Just add a "tent" from Supergen & you'll make everyone happy. It's a basic gennerator, not an inverter, if that's important to you. Champion has very good customer support. This little guy starts easy & serves my purpose of running the microwave & charging batteries. I also use it to run my Air Compressor to winterize, since my coach is off site.

1500 / 1200 Champion $202 + FREE shipping.

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
No, it won't - can't - be a surprise. And we don't intend to use it to run the trailer; he's mostly concerned about recharging the batteries. We used to have power outages at least two or three times a year, but since moving in to town, that's no longer true, so we may not need it for that. Lifting heavy things could be a problem for us.

It sure sounds as though people are leaning toward the generator rather than the solar. And as usual, I appreciate both your generosity in sharing your expertise with us, and the expertise itself.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few to consider. Supergen & Amazon are probably the least expensive at the moment. Supergen also offer "refurbs" in most models for considerably less money. Sound deadening generator "tents" also for sale on the same site.

2000 Watt / $599 + FREE Shipping

3100 Watt $949.00 + FREE Shipping OR Amazon @ $799 & Free Shipping

TWO / 2000 Watt $1249 + FREE Shipping.

Amazon 3100 Watt with "wireless remote start" $1030 + shipping

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Generator...you can also use it at home when not camping (power outages, etc.)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know how many watts you will need? I guess you plan on running the A/C with it? While the microwave can run fine on a 2,000 watt generator, the A/C on a warm day will require at least 3,000 watts, though it can slow a 3,000 watt generator to much on a hot day, requiring something a little larger.

Many who are a little older and not wanting to lift a 100 pound Champion generator into the truck bed instead pick a pair of Honda 2000 watt generators and link them together. They are only 47 pounds each, and you can use just one when you want to microwave something or just charge the batteries. Then start both and link them together for running the A/C unit, or larger loads.

Mayberrys.com is a great place to look at prices on all generators. You have to call them for the Honda prices, they can not advertize them on the web, Honda gets very upset about that. . .

Sure you can get 'any' brand, but it will be noisy, the Honda is very quiet.

AS for a solar system, yes you do buy the solar system, Jupiter not included. It takes time and planning to install it. Do you plan on installing it yourself? IT is fairly easy, anyone who has installed a car stereo can do it. You do have to climb on the roof to secure it to the roof, and find a location that is suitable. So don't just order some 200 watt panels and hope they fit! You might be like the guy asking 'can I mount this 50" square panel to my rooftop A/C? I don't have any other place for such a large panel!" No you can not mount a 16 square foot panel to the air conditioner. It will act like a sail and try to remove whatever it is connected to - unless it is mounted about 1" off the roof.

I found room for a pair of 120 watt solar panels on my 30' long motorhome roof. But they are in the front, and not ideally located, as they tend to whistle a bit at 55 MPH, due to the wind coming over the front cap and under the panels. Mine are about 40" wide and 50" long, so they are HUGE! If you want space to maintain the rooftop, then mounting them to one side is handy, with a walking path either in the center or to one side.

Not to close to the TV antenna, and not right up against the A/C as both create a small shadow.

Look for great prices here. SunElec.com

You probably will want 12 volt panels and PWM controller. The MPPT controllers are overrated, and expensive. However I do own one of the 'early' MPPT controllers. I paid $350 for it (SB 50 amp model) back in 1999. The price has come down since that time, but not by much. The last controller that I bought was a PWM 10 amp at $14. You can get a PWM 20 amp controller for about $18.

I would recommend spending more on the panels, and less on the controller. While back in 1999, when a 120 watt panel was around $429 (a little over $3.50 per rated watt) then the MPPT controller made sense. Now - not so much. You can buy 300 watts of solar for about $300, and a $18 controller. Spending $100 more on the MPPT controller means perhaps only a 200 watt solar system, so overall the $300 spent on panels, VS $100 extra spent on a controller is not a great bargain.

Then how to mount it? I cut 6" long pieces of 2" angle aluminum (Home Depot) with 3 holes 3/16" for the #10 screws into the roof and a 5/16" hole for the panel mount bolt (1/4-20 with nylon locking nut to make removal difficult). Plenty of rubber roof sealant to keep the mounts in place and not leaking finished the roof mounting.

Some #10 grey romex rated for outdoor direct burial and in the sun takes the power from the panel to the controller. Then #10 or #8 wire (depending on the length and amperage) takes the power to the batteries. I went down the refrigerator vent, so I did not need to cut a new hole into the roof. My controller is mounted in the closet beside the refrigerator, with plenty of room to install the wiring.

Good luck!

Fred.

Perhaps your husband is more looking for permission to order a generator, rather than have you pick it out for him, and have it surprise him on Christmas morning? He might have a particular model in mind, that is economical, easy to pick up and put into the tow vehicle, and just the right size for back up power at home for when the power is out, and also large enough for running the A/C on the trailer? I would hate for my wife to pick out a 2000 watt generator that can not be paired with another 2000 watt generator, and find out that it is not large enough to run the trailer A/C or any other reasonable loads. And then still need to go buy another generator the correct size to run the A/C and take camping. A generator is just to expensive to get a surprise, here it is, and find out later it is the wrong size - either to heavy, to expensive, or to light and to cheap or worst of all to noisy!

Worst is to noisy!

For the solar system, worst is to large of panels, and no place to mount them on the rooftop! Take measurements first. And the panels at Harbor Freight are nice, but expensive at around $5 per rated watt. You can buy them for close to $1 per rated watt at the correct solar sales places!

The solar system is expensive - while only about $1,000 to replace my current system, I spent $3,000 back in the 90's on mine when prices where much higher. IT has saved me a lot of money on camping fees, I can camp in the BLM land, and not pay anything!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com