cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wolf Creek 850 Solar Install

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Started phase 1 of my solar set up. Utilized the maggie rack with uni strut cross members thanks to an extreme boondocker one of a kind truck campin' guy :).
Placed two 100 watt panels.

Removed access panel behind the command center to find my solar wires

Wires were right there

I removed the access panel in the upper cabinet as well to get to the cheesy splice and top solar connector Northwood installs

Here is the cheesy solar connector I removed from the roof

I hollowed out the middle and fed my own cable right to my solar controller

Here is my controller. I am supposed to have 6" of clearance on the top. Do you think I will be okay leaving it where it is or should I move it down?

I was going to use a junction box but opted for the mc4 connectors because the panels came prewired with the mc4 connectors already. I will see how this works out. I was tempted to install the panels next to the fantastic fan on the cabover roof part, but didn't want to drill into my roof yet and wanted to keep the weight over my truck bed.

Again thanks to Bryan for the hot tip on unistrut ๐Ÿ™‚
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
15 REPLIES 15

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roundtowner wrote:
b, when you replaced your batteries, what did you replace them with: type, size, and brand? I'm planning to replace my wet cells with AGM and am curious with what others have been successful doing. Thanks for you info, Larry.
Hi Larry, the quick and easy answer is;

2 - Lifeline GPL-6CT for a total of 300 AmpH @ approx $415 ea. for 300w of solar.

What is important to know, I chose these batteries, as well as the previous AGM batteries, due to the fact I had relocated my battery bank (Bank 1 of 2 Banks) from itโ€™s original location. Lance had an outside location for two FWC batteries. Due to the issue of loss of capacity capabilities, during colder periods of use, I moved them into the living portion (cabinet) of my Lance Camper. This greatly minimized the loss of capabilities during colder seasons of use. Your needs maybe different.

I have an upcoming article on choosing Solar, where I will be discussing the advantages and disadvantages of Batteries. One particular point is, if you anticipate extreme use of your batteries, such as complete discharge, marginal maintaining due to storage periods, you may wish to invest in a less expensive set of batteries, due to this type of use. While many will claim long years of use of their batteries, they neglect to note batteries are actually aged by cycles. So if you are using your batteries minimally and they are well maintained, they will last longer. If you cycle, charge them and then take them down to 12.2v (approx.) every day, as I do, they will last a shorter period of time. When you are putting a project together, such as autami has done, decide where your $$ and priorities are most needed. Most people are better served by using their existing batteries and go through a trial period. This is in learning how to use and manage their solar collection and harvesting, before investing in a set of expensive batteries, which possibly will suffer with you as you get your learning curve consistent. Which allows you to budget for a future set of good long lasting batteries, like the Lifeline 6v AGM. As an example, my Eagle AGM lasted 6 years of continuous and daily use and abuse.

As a note, my second bank is Interstate 6v GC2 batteries and located in an area not occupied. If I were to replace these batteries for Lifeline AGMs, it would be a cost of; $4,200. That is a lot of money for me, so I purchased GC2 FWC at a cost, $1,000 (for 1,560w of solar), for the same batteries that will have the approx. same longevity. So, for me the decision was easy and I have a lot of free time to keep an eye on a set of FWC batteries. These FWC batteries have performed, flawlessly, for over 4 years of daily AmpH use of 120-200 amps a day.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Roundtowner
Explorer
Explorer
b, when you replaced your batteries, what did you replace them with: type, size, and brand? I'm planning to replace my wet cells with AGM and am curious with what others have been successful doing. Thanks for you info, Larry.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
anutami wrote:
bigfootford wrote:
Anutami, great job with your install!

You asked if your controller is ok where it is and I would say it's just fine. Are you going to get the remote operator panel and temperature compensation?

I have the same controller with 200 watts.

Jim

The monitor seems good where it is. I keep checking it and it does not get very hot at all.

I installed a xantrex linklite battery monitor instead. Still debating on the temperature gauge, do you have it installed?

Looks like a really great job! This will make your family trips even more enjoyable, knowing that your power needs have another avenue of supply. As you have seen from my own installation, going the Unistrut route is such a simple and inexpensive solar installation. Plus, you will be able to pick up anything you might need, virtually anywhere you travel, that there is a Lowes or Home Depot. For me that is a big plus.

On the controller location, you might pay attention to the heat transfer from the wall during the heat of the summer. I have recorded my inside wall temperatures over 100 degrees with a IR Temp gauge. I am always concerned with attaching sensitive electronics to a surface that heats up. Thus the reason I try to have my Fridge side on the shady side in the summer months.

Be sure not to wait too long before you swap out your zip ties. Up on the roof you will see some accelerated deterioration from the sunโ€™s UV and buffeting from highway speeds. After I determined my final locations and routing, I used some permanent attachments, again via Unistrut.

Like bigfootford wrote, I too have kept a daily log of my Solar readings and am able to detect changes and lessons learned from this data. Keeping an eye on your readings will allow you learn how best to utilize what you have installed. A log is not necessary, but helpful. As an example, I am now beginning to see a change in my second battery bank (4 years). After seeing a steep decline in my first battery bank (6 1/2yrs. 6v AGM). Which I replaced last month, after 6 years of terrible abuse, from me. (Learning the ropes of Full-timing, was/is a steep learning curve.)

Again, great job!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
anutami wrote:
bigfootford wrote:

You asked if your controller is ok where it is and I would say it's just fine. Are you going to get the remote operator panel and temperature compensation?

Jim

The monitor seems good where it is. I keep checking it and it does not get very hot at all.

I installed a xantrex linklite battery monitor instead. Still debating on the temperature gauge, do you have it installed?

Yes, installed the temp comp probe...
In cold weather I see the voltage up at 14.9vdc when charging in the bulk mode. Batteries need this higher voltage to charge properly....

In hot weather when my batteries are 90deg + the voltage will be down in the 14.1 range in bulk mode... A good thing.

I actually installed my controller vertically. I checked the temperature on it at first, during hot weather and It did not get over 115deg. Now it is out of sight and mind.

I do like the Morningstar controller remote meter...
It records solar charge amp hours, panel voltage so I can detect anything going wrong....
Battery temperature and the air around the controller....
I keep a log on the battery data Solar and AH.... Morningstar and Trimetric...

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigfootford wrote:

Jim

2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
joeshmoe wrote:
What's left of the antenna. I think he clipped a tree or something.

Yes that was my antenna. Still trying to figure out what to do with it. I shoved some paper down the openning, put some dicor in there then duct taped it.

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
theclarkster wrote:
Nice set up, Nolan. We are also looking into solar, but may wait still the spring to install. The weather where we are is rain rain rain everyday in the winter. We don't want to risk drilling holes into the roof and then get water leaks.

What size of wires did you use to replace the OEM 12-awg wires?

What are mc4 connectors? can they be hooked up directly to the cable you show in the picture?

Thank you it is so nice to have. I did not replace the OEM wires just the wires that run from the panel to the controller. The wires that go to the batteries are OEM so I kept everything the same size. I thought I would need more watts but right now everything is getting charged back to 95-98% everyday, except for the snow camping we did for a couple days. We brought the generator and it worked fine. Mc4 connectors are like quick connecters, google them and you can see what they look like. The tricky part was crimping the 2 connections on the wire I installed from my solar controller to the solar panel mc4 connections.

Nolan

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not fond of the 12awg wire either. It was barely enough for my 300watt solar. I didn't really want new holes drilled in the roof to replace the wire with bigger wire.

I tried pulling out the factory wire but it was routed weird in the ceiling foam insulation and it would not budge.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
What's left of the antenna. I think he clipped a tree or something.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:

What they heck is that thing sticking up with tapr over the top of it?
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I also hate those stupid splices! Sure wish they'd factory install 10AWG wire instead of 12.
Bob

theclarkster
Explorer
Explorer
Nice set up, Nolan. We are also looking into solar, but may wait still the spring to install. The weather where we are is rain rain rain everyday in the winter. We don't want to risk drilling holes into the roof and then get water leaks.

What size of wires did you use to replace the OEM 12-awg wires?

What are mc4 connectors? can they be hooked up directly to the cable you show in the picture?

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
great job. We love our SOLAR.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ