cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Meadows CG Shenandoah NP

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we have finally decided to go To Big Meadows Campground over July 4th week. What could we find to do besides hiking with the kiddos?
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition
12 REPLIES 12

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Ya! I'd add that at that time of year even your tongue will sweat. It is HOT and Humid. Live in N VA and if you aren't used to being outside you will be worn out from it.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
Luray Caverns was good. I thought of camping but this black bear was hanging out on a near near my tent. so I just stayed at the motel. woke up dear checking out my motorcycle luggage. Few miles down you rent horses for some trail riding.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. What about trout fishing and rafting in this area?
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You will definitely see wildlife at Loft Mountain. Expect bears and deer to be wandering around. Be careful of how you handle your trash. Don't leave anything outside that could smell or look like food, even grills must be cleaned and stored away. There are bear boxes for the tent campers.

The sunsets are great at Loft Mountain. Campsites 5 though 11 have ring side seats looking over the valley and watching sunsets. You can walk the trail just past the sites and sit on the boulders to watch.

My favorite hike is Old Rag. Be warned it involves some rock scrambles and is a very popular trail. Best hiked early in the morning on a weekday. Carry plenty of water.

Like I said before, Monticello isn't too far from the park.

Inside the park is Rapidan Camp which was the presidential retreat before Camp David. You can hike in or take a tour bus but the tours fill fast.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
MisconductOIB wrote:
Got reservations in Loft Mountain July2-July9. So lets hear some ideas people first National Park Experience...

Go to the Park's Visitor Centers. Find out when and where the Ranger Programs are being held. Watch video at the Visitor Center. Study the Park's website at www.nps.gov

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your size TT is great for this area camping. Most all of the sites at Loft Mtn are separated from each other using high shrubs between the sites... Usually two loops are within easy walk to the localized bath rooms and water.

Like said before there is NO HOOKUPs so hopefully you have more than one battery on-board. We always have enough juice to run a HDTV which picks up alot of TV signals being up on the mtn. Internet/Cell Phones however is only limited use on the walk in tent sites area to the West side ridge. We always had to drive down to the way station/restaurant at the entrance to Loft Mtn or just north of the entrance where there is a pull out on the West side of the ridge to get usable signals and we have VERIZON cellphone....

Loft Mtn does have a nice camp store on the grounds and the way station on SKYLINE DRIVE is also well stocked with and a restaurant with gas station.

The Appalachian Trail goes completely around the outer trail of LOFT MTN and kinda neat to get your pictures taken being on the AP trail.

Lots of Deer and sometimes a Bear will run down the main road haha... Rangers always watching your camp site for doing the right thing for outside food storage etc...

Hiking is about the only sport at this elevation. The Streams and River is in the valley area on both sides of the SKYLINE DRIVE mtn ridge.

Harrisonburg at I81 with LOWES and SUPER WALMART store is not too far away... You will have to go back to the US33 road and go west to Elkton/Harrisonburg or go East back to Standardsville for bigger grocery shopping.

We love to do the get away and experiment with my long duration OFF-ROAD POPUP camper setup... I might add all sites are not Generator approved. If you are planning on running a generator you might want to check out which sites allow such... They do have generator run time restriction at Loft Mtn and don't expect to be able to run a generator after 8PM. We always run ours to re-charge our 255AH battery bank starting at 8AM each morning...

Lots of tree cover around the camp sites too if you are wanting to use the solar panels alot...

We love LOFT MTN for our style pof camping... Rangers there are top notch folks -most friendly...

We usually go there around the July time frame but definitely want to stay there in the Fall season and catch the fall colors...

Lots of motorcycle traffic on the winding roads there...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Got reservations in Loft Mountain July2-July9. So lets hear some ideas people first National Park Experience...
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Without a reservation, it will be a real gamble to get a site over the holiday!

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
You may be able to see fireworks going off in towns down in the valley. I have tent camped and backpack camped there but never RV camped at Big Meadows. Maybe some day.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
We like to fish, raft, tube, hike some touring of interesting sights. Looking for ideas. Rafting companies, fishing guides or do it yourself places.
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big meadows fills up fast especially around the holidays... Better checkin pretty quick...

We always go for the LOFT MOUNTAIN camp site just a few miles down the road Big Meadows.

Big Meadows is the most popular of the three camping sites... These camping location only have rest rooms and central located water source. No hookups

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the wildlife.

What does your family like to do?

We took one day and toured Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900