Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bike rack options for a TT / TV

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Aerolite 718fd ( 4000lbs loaded ) pulled by 2013 F150 Eco Boost

We are currently carrying our 2 bikes in the truck bed which is ok but inconvenient. wondering if someone has a good option out there for us. Read some threads and can forget about using back bumper on the TT as there is none.

I see 5 options, not in any particular order:

1- Remove spare tire ( there is a spare tire mount on rear of TT and I am guessing someone makes a rack to fit it ), haul it in truck bed, install bike rack in its place. Anyone know how well these spare tire holders are attached to the wall of a TT? I am thinking it depends on the manufacturer and maybe day of week it was built. Mine appears solid but of course it doesn't have two bikes bouncing up and down on it either ๐Ÿ™‚ Don't like not being able to see what is going on with the bikes while driving.

2-Install a rack on TT over the propane tank location. I have seen these online and if solid this may be my first choice based on what little I know so far. Would be out of the way and can still get to battery. Can see from truck if there is a problem of some sort while driving.

3-Install a rack over the hitch on rear of the truck. I think I have also seen these online. If solid would work ok but I think would be in the way more. Also not real crazy about bikes bouncing around the back end of my new truck.

4-Continue as is and lay them in truck bed.

5-other ideas??

Comments and suggestions appreciated. Info on particular makes / brands that are dependable would be nice.

Thanks,
81 REPLIES 81

kend40
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Michigansandzilla wrote:
So to sum it up when you don't have the option of using a truck bed:

Mounting a hitch to the back of TT can cause frame fractures.
Mounting a rack over the propane tanks can cause a dent in the tailgate if you turn too hard and it's difficult to turn off the propane.
Mounting a hitch to the front of TV will drastically reduce airflow and can overheat the engine.
Mounting to the roof of TV is inconvenient and difficult but doesn't cause any major problems.
Stowing bikes in TT can cause interior damage, (I know this from experience).

Is that correct?

I think you are pretty much on with that comment. I am still thinking on this project as it could involve a good bit of money and I want to get it right. My truck is so tall I would never try to get bikes on off it. Also, I am trying to solve two issues at once. Carrying 2 kayaks AND two bicycles.

I like searfoss's pcv bike rack and its cost problem is I have a short bed with a tool box so would not work without removing the front wheels, although that may still work. going to be doing some measuring / thinking for a while.

If anyone with a short bed p/u and tool box is hauling kayaks and bikes I would be interested in knowing how, unless the bikes are on top the TV, on front of it, or on rear of TT. I know that eliminates quite a few possibilities.

check out www.bikefastrack.com this can be used above a toolbox that is flush mounted or below the box rails. It also allows the use of the majority of the box. And it can carry 5 bikes. Also looks like it is easy to remove when you are not transporting bikes. I was impressed by the videos on the site. Then with a rooftop kayak rack you might get everything you are wishing for.
Kend40
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost TV
2013 Kodiak 242rbsl TT

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:
I just posted my solution to the over the tank TT bike rack in the upgrades / modifications section. Check it out

Clicky

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I need to take some pics, but I have used the hitch and bike rack on 2 trips now. It's very easy, convenient, and sturdy!
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I just posted my solution to the over the tank TT bike rack in the upgrades / modifications section. Check it out!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Just took delivery on 2 foldable bikes and will store them w/i the TT or car. This should (in theory) solve the problem on my end.

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
the e-man wrote:
The only thing that would be better would be a rack mounted over the bed of the pickup. If I could find an adjustable rack for bikes and kayaks that would work in conjunction with a soft bed cover, it would be great. The Thule looks close but it only works if you don't have a cover. The manufacturer of our cover switched to making only high racks where they used to make one that switched from high to low.

the e-man
I'm actually in the process of building such bike rack using Thule components, and fit the kit while still use the OEM soft tonneau cover of my Sierra. Parts:

Thule TP54 Top-track with flare nuts (2)
Thule 460 Podium Foot kit (kit of 4)
Thule Fit Kit 3101 (kit of 4)
Thule LBxx (xx in) Load Bars (x2)
Sport Rack SR4611 Bike carrier (x3)

I have not figured the load bar width required; I have yet installed the top tracks outboard of the OEM tonneau tracks. Hopefully it will look like this once finished (not my truck, shown with hard panel cover):

(image courtesy of gm-trucks.com)
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I made an appointment yesterday to have a custom hitch welded to my TT, I'll post pics next week.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to build a rack for front of TT, or at least try. Think I can do it for less than 150.00, will keep you posted on it...couple of weeks.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
E man accessing the tanks is not a big issue. I used the one tank on one tank off method for monitoring my LP usage. By doing so I ran the risk of Murphy's law striking and running out of LP in the middle of the night. I created the access panel to allow easy access to valves with bikes on the rack.

Arvika is the solution for carrying bikes. Some squawk at the price however the Arvika cost about the same as fabricating/welding a custom rack + a good quality bike rack.
I've noticed a few newer tongue mounted racks are now on the market. They seem to be in the same price range as the Arvika.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
michigansandzilla wrote:
So to sum it up when you don't have the option of using a truck bed:

Mounting a hitch to the back of TT can cause frame fractures.
Mounting a rack over the propane tanks can cause a dent in the tailgate if you turn too hard and it's difficult to turn off the propane.
Mounting a hitch to the front of TV will drastically reduce airflow and can overheat the engine.
Mounting to the roof of TV is inconvenient and difficult but doesn't cause any major problems.
Stowing bikes in TT can cause interior damage, (I know this from experience).

Is that correct?

No perfect answer here. Just like anything else, I guess we all pick and choose based on our own needs.

I can only speak for the Arvika tongue mounted rack because that is what I own. You can access LP tanks easily if bikes are not on rack. Rack folds up and tank cover can be removed as normal.
I did cut an access panel into the rear of my plastic propane cover to access tank when bikes are on rack. Cutting an access panel is a very simple effective solution to accessing valves.
I towed my TT with a Hensley Arrow hitch which gave me 12" more clearance between trailer and truck and eliminated any turning issues

Interesting idea - cutting an access hole in the tank cover. We rarely need to access the tanks when the bikes are in place. In 20,000 miles of travel across the country, it is only the tunnels near here that head toward the ocean where you have to shut the tanks off. For that, we usually just keep the gas off until we get to our campsite since it isn't that far to travel.

Just for some additional context, I really like our Arvika rack. It is pretty easy to get the bikes on/off. They are visible to me while traveling. It was the best solution for us. The only thing that would be better would be a rack mounted over the bed of the pickup. If I could find an adjustable rack for bikes and kayaks that would work in conjunction with a soft bed cover, it would be great. The Thule looks close but it only works if you don't have a cover. The manufacturer of our cover switched to making only high racks where they used to make one that switched from high to low.

the e-man
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
az350x wrote:
I'm stuck in the same back of trailer/front of trailer/how much $$ do I wanna spend conundrum. I thought I had a good plan- back of trailer, two bikes on bumper-mounted/receiver style bike rack, covered with a nice $80 vented cover, locked to the rack- out of sight/out of mind until we wanted to use them. Then I find this thread, and now I'm torn about what to do. I want them out of the wind/weather in transit (will a cover even work on the FRONT of a trailer?), and my notion is that sometimes they won't even come off of the trailer and hit the ground on stops. Plus, spending $300+ for some mount setup for $250 worth of bikes seems kinda ridiculous...

Sheesh. I think there's such thing as "too MUCH information!"

Out of site out of mind is not a good way to transport bikes. With a tongue mounted rack bikes are always in view. Many have lost or dragged bikes behind trailer without even knowing it until they arrive or are alerted by a passing motorist.
I don't always use my bikes. I put them on the rack at the beginning of the camping season and they stay there 24/7 until camping season is over. My bikes are cheap as well giving me no worries about theft.

Cost of bikes is really not an issue. You need a bike to ride,even the cheap one's with zero value needs to be transported.

The best part is, yes you can leave them under cover.
The rack shown below was mounted on the tongue of my TT once upon a time. It now works just as well on the front of my fiver.

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
az350x wrote:
I'm stuck in the same back of trailer/front of trailer/how much $$ do I wanna spend conundrum. I thought I had a good plan- back of trailer, two bikes on bumper-mounted/receiver style bike rack, covered with a nice $80 vented cover, locked to the rack- out of sight/out of mind until we wanted to use them. Then I find this thread, and now I'm torn about what to do. I want them out of the wind/weather in transit (will a cover even work on the FRONT of a trailer?), and my notion is that sometimes they won't even come off of the trailer and hit the ground on stops. Plus, spending $300+ for some mount setup for $250 worth of bikes seems kinda ridiculous...

Yes, sometimes there is too much info. I agree.
After researching for almost a year, we've given it a lot of thought and many of the options are simply not going to work for us. We've decided to go with our original plan of mounting to the back of the TT with a hitch for the bike rack. We actually spoke to our friend that is the head mechanic for a RV center and he said as long as the hitch is welded properly it won't cause a problem for us. So, that's what we're going with. Spoke to another friend and he actually has a 6 spot bike rack he no longer uses and he's giving it to us for free. Excellent! Not saying everyone should go this route, but this is it for us.
In all honesty, I have spent more time researching bike rack options than I did researching the actual TT that I purchased! :h
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

az350x
Explorer
Explorer

Pack out MORE than you packed in!!

2001 Ford F350 Crew cab short bed 4x4 Powerstroke
2013 Forest River Surveyor SV305

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if you want to to get the bikes completely out of your truck bed or just get them off their sides. I built one of these http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/TruckbedBikeRack.htm. I can put in my truck bed or strap it down in the Toyhauler. Keeps the bikes upright. Cost about $20 to build. Maybe a good alternate till you get something else built.