cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bit the Bullet and got a 2010 Power Wagon!!

jj141979
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. Last month I bit the bullet and purchased a 2010 Ram Power Wagon. 35000 miles. Always wanted one. Love it so far. New tie-rods, ball joints, and steering gear. Pretty much a whole new front end. Fully loaded, tow mirrors, NAV, rear camera, sun roof and some other goodies. I have a 2015 Coachman Catalina 323bhds. 36ft. 1000lb tongue weight. 7400lbs dry. I had a 2003 ram 1500 hemi 4.56 gears that I towed it home with about 300 miles (on PA turnpike) and the power was there but I had the tail waging the dog. I have the Reese Dual Cam set up. Just wondering if any of you guys tow with a Wagon and how you like it???
TV: 2010 Dodge Ram Power Wagon, Factory Brake Controller
TT: 2015 Coachmen Catalina 323BHDS, Reess Dual Cam
13 REPLIES 13

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
jj141979 wrote:
Yea I was thinking the same but I thought I read somewhere that the buy back program doesn't start till Oct 1st. Maybe Im wrong. But cant wait to hook it up to my trailer! Now I had read some people where having problems with the factory brake controller on that year truck. Any one know about this??
dodge guy wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Yowza! It needed tie rods, ball joints and steering gear after only 35k miles??

It was probably one of the buy backs that got fixed and was resold. either way they are great trucks. If I didn`t have a need for a HD SUV I would have one!
My factory brake controller was junk. The newer models got better but there were a lot of complaints on 2010s. I got tired of cleaning the brake dust off the front wheels. The cure is to install a prodigy 2or3. You can plug it in in place of the stock controller using the harness for the late model Durango/Grand Cherokee. You must then tap onto the hot and ground wires on that harness and feed power and ground to your old controller to make it think it's still working. This will eliminate the warning light on the dash...Good luck.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats - I love the power wagons and have had two of them.. They just were too 'small' for my current needs.. ๐Ÿ˜‰ check out the powerwagonregistry forums as well.. I have towed a lot with my last '06 without any issues (besides gas mileage)
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

jj141979
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I was thinking the same but I thought I read somewhere that the buy back program doesn't start till Oct 1st. Maybe Im wrong. But cant wait to hook it up to my trailer! Now I had read some people where having problems with the factory brake controller on that year truck. Any one know about this??
dodge guy wrote:
jfkmk wrote:

It was probably one of the buy backs that got fixed and was resold. either way they are great trucks. If I didn`t have a need for a HD SUV I would have one!

jj141979
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Congrats on the truck. Will you use it for off roading?
No this will not be used to off road. Just normal stuff like winter snow, and going hunting. There may be times when i go to camp up Benezette that I will be off roading but nothing major. Trust me, I don't pay thousands of dollars for something then go mess it all up! I cant afford that! Lol

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a Laramie Powerwagon this summer. Pulls my tt like a dream. With this truck, now planning a month vacation trip next summer down south to northern Alberta and BC. Loved my half ton Silverado, but this is so much more.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the truck. Will you use it for off roading?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:

Pretty normal for the bigger tire group, and not far behind is the normal tire group :B
Also those trucks most likely saw much more off road use than a normal Ram truck.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

jj141979
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Yea I know..... Weak Dodge front ends....O well. I got it all fixed up now! Tie-Rod was a recall. The lower ball joints were replaced for whatever reason, and after I got it I had my dealer change the steering gear out under warranty because it felt loose, like the truck was wondering. I got the truck from a dealership in DC. I live near Pittsburgh. So I drive all the way out there and pick this truck up and after about 40-50 miles down the road on the way home it happened! The "Death Wobble"!!! I drove the truck home the whole way under 55mph couldn't go no faster. Called my dealer from my cell phone and made an appointment for Monday (this was Saturday) and they realigned the truck and changed the tires to E rated ones and it has been good. The dealer I got the truck from changed the recalled tie-rod and ball joints but never realigned it!!!! So they paid $1300 for my new tires and $80 for my alignment! So I had the truck for a month or so and noticed that my steering gear was sloppy. So I had my dealer change that out under warranty. Now truck rides awesome and steers even better!! Very happy!!!

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:

It is a Dodge or Fiat

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer

jj141979
Explorer
Explorer
dreeder wrote:
I can't recall who, but one of the members here towed his 5th wheel with his and seemed to enjoy the combo very much. Yes, it was a smaller 5th wheel.
Yea, I got some good Info from his post. I havent seen him in awhile. I pretty much HAD the same truck he did only mine was a half ton. I HAD the same gearing, transmission. Only not the same frame, suspension, brakes and I only had posi-traction in the rear.I dont see many people towing with the Power Wagon. I think it is gonna make a great tow vehicle (within its limits of course) because of the gearing alone. Just want some body with experience towing with one. Especially a 4th Gen Ram

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
I can't recall who, but one of the members here towed his 5th wheel with his and seemed to enjoy the combo very much. Yes, it was a smaller 5th wheel.