Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake Inspection

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

How often do you maintain your camper brakes? I live in New York and we have to have our campers inspected and part of the inspection is pulling one wheel and inspecting the brakes. I guess my question is, how what really needs to be done maintenance wise? In the 6 years we have owned our camper we have probably put less than 6,000 miles on it. It is a 26 foot Flagstaff. Last year I did put four new tires on it.

Thanks!
Deano
10 REPLIES 10

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was shocked when I looked at my brakes. I had a couple of dealers check them out when they greased the bearings and they said the shoes were fine.

Well the shoes were fine, because the rest of the mechanism has gummed up. I was only getting partial braking.

Now it is an annual check. but we have been putting about 10,000 mile a year on the TT.

I would say once a year, also before any long trip. I think dirt and debris are the main issues if you do not travel very far.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, NYSDMV procedure is to pull one drum but the inspector is supposed to jack up each wheel and see if the brakes actuate. Strange, I can't find anything about a break-away switch being required equipment.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
Deano_1 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I will check with the DMV, but I know when they do an inspection, they only pull one wheel. I know very little about drum brakes, so I made need to do a little You tube search to find out how to do this. Thanks!

For lots of trailer brake inspection videos, surf:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trailer+brake+inspection

Hope this helps.

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I will check with the DMV, but I know when they do an inspection, they only pull one wheel. I know very little about drum brakes, so I made need to do a little You tube search to find out how to do this.
Thanks!

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
Every year I pull the hubs and inspect / clean the brakes. Every other year I replace their inner side seals. IMO, self brake inspections takes very little time with blocks, bottle jacks and axle stands (as safety jacks) and is a very easy DIY task.

Remember that a sitting (less traveled) trailer allows rust to grow on the inner / hidden side of the brake drum. When the drums do move, its like taking a sharp file to the brake pads. Ouch!!! Thus.... A trailer less traveled needs more brake inspection intervals. re: 2 x year instead of annual. Especially if one lives in regions that promote rust - like in damp and/or coastal regions.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Call the DMV and ask what they look for when inspecting trailer brakes. I suspect that as long as all the parts are present, and look to be in usable condition, you'll pass muster. But I'd check just to make sure.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I check the bearing and brakes about every 7 years or so. I put about 5K a year on my trailer. The magnets are pretty much done after about 7 to 10 years for me.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

DrPepper1010
Explorer
Explorer
I pull the hubs yearly to inspect the bearings and brakes. It takes a couple hours, but the knowledge gives me peace of mine while I'm jamming on the brakes to avoid some 'butt' that just cut me off.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we travel 10,000 km a year, I pull all 4 drums every spring
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I pull the wheels and inspect / repack the bearings every 2 years. Given the limited miles we put on it I can't see doing it annually.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......