cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brand Reliability and Quality

SquirrelTurds
Explorer
Explorer
Let me start off by saying I am on a VERY tight budget. I have 3 maybe 4 thousand and I want to buy a small travel trailer. What are the brands that I should steer clear of? I live in Michigan and just don't want to end up buying something like an aerolite because I have heard they are prone to leaking. Are there any more brands that have bad reputations?

Here are 2 trailers I have found to give you an idea.
Layton
Dutchman

Thanks in advance for any help!
2 REPLIES 2

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO the Layton could get pretty expensive. If you have to buy a new refrigerator it will probably run 11-1300 installed. The Dutchman seems to be in better shape, have fewer issues, and the cost is less. The Dutchman will need tires and a battery...cost somewhere between 5-700. Look them both over VERY close for leak issues and have the sellers show you that everything works.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
In that price range, it is not the concern for a particular brand but the condition of the trailer overall. Start at the top and work your way down.
Check everything. Remember what seems like a small deal can be very expensive to repair/replace. A refrigerator will cost about $1,000 plus, new tires about $600, brakes about $600, a plumbing leak can be a simple fix, or unbelievably expensive depending on accessibility. An undetected water leak where wood framing has rotted can cost more than the trailer is worth to repair.

If you are not an experienced RVer, you would be very wise to first find someone who has the experience to properly inspect the RV for you, then find RV's that interest you.

As with any RV but especially with an older unit, you either need to be handy fixing things yourself or handy with your check book.