cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

breaker keeps blowing

panteramatt
Explorer
Explorer
Went camping recently and my new to me camper kept blowing the main 30 amp breaker. I had my ac on high, hot water heater on electric, and 2 small refridgerators running. Is this too many amps for the camper? I moved to another box on another site and used an extension cord and it even melted them together. I would think 30 amps should handle those and if not why build the camper on a 30 amp circuit? I guess I could just run my heater on propane. Would having a dead battery cause this issue also?
21 REPLIES 21

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Mine will trip a 30 amp pedestal if I run the AC (~15 A) , the WH on electric (~12 A), and the microwave or much anything else at the same time. Run the water heater on propane to save that 12 amps for other things.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of camper do you have and what does it normally run at? Is it a 50 amp plugged into a 30 amp? My TT will run ac, fridge ( just one), ellectric water heater, and microwave etc just fine. Are the fridges built in or did you add them? You can always run a hevey duty extention cord for extras to your power pedistal. What type of cord did you use?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You need to know the voltage before anything else. Get a digital voltmeter that shows the voltage at all times. I use this one:
Voltmeter

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes a 30 amp RV will have limits. If running the air conditioner I recommend setting the water heater and fridge to propane only.

The two small fridges probably are a small draw but start up surge each time it cycles on can be significant.

Don't run your heater and air conditioner at the same time. Probably can't. Furnace runs on 12 volt power and propane. The converter will supply plenty of 12v power when plugged in. Off grid the furnace 12v draw on the battery can be significant.

No reason your 12 volt battery should get low when you are plugged in. Some have a storage switch that must be in the "on" or "in-use" position or you will not get power to the battery for charging.

Yes the converter can draw significant 120 volt power if charging a low battery. At 1 or 2 hours the battery will generally be charged enough that the converter will be operating at minimal power.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
p.s buy a surge protector ,or some day you could have a major melt down.buddy did not cost him $2k to rewire his rv,

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Your problem was likely the extension cord, try a 10 gauge cord next time.

Underrated extension cords create excessive heat and trip breakers.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You are overloading the 30 amp. Turn water heater to Propane.
Verify 120 volt amperage for "small" refers.
Normal refers are LP/electric. 120 volt AC should hold with AC running.
Next check for loose connections in 120 volt AV power distribution panel. Make sure you check for melted wiring. Look at the neutrals.
Measure your voltage. Lower the voltage the higher the amperage.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker