cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bumped Trailer Jack Tube

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
So I was hooking up my TT to my tow vehicle this morning and my foot slipped to being half on brake and half on gas....causing the tow vehicle to move backwards more than planned and hitch came in contact with steel tube for the jack. The tube is dented but remains flush on all sides (except where dent it). Happened to be near our dealer and they said as long as the unit moves up and down the tube I am ok, but if I notice that it starts to get hung up I would need replace. Sounded like what I was thinking anyway but thought I would ask group for a "second opinion"?

Thanks for any input

Mike
5 REPLIES 5

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I gave my power jack a good wack several years ago, the tube was bent. I beat the heck out of it with a sledge and straightened it a bit. Probably five years later and I'm still using it with the bend.

It still goes up and down fine so there must be large tolerances in the mechanism.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Grease or oil the tube and keep an eye on it. It will probably be fine. Almost all of us get a lesson about vehicle operation like you did. That is just a small lesson.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a good excuse to get the wife to agree to a power jack ๐Ÿ˜‰

Otherwise, if it works, it works. Use it.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Barker jack and we did not raise it entirely once and came out of a parking lot and hit the cement and the foot bent back about two inches. when we got to camp we hooked up a chain to the footing and yanked on it with truck a few times. we bent it back almost perfect but we used that jack for another 15 years.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would say what the dealer said...
..."as the unit moves up and down the tube you are ok, but if you notice that it starts to get hung up you would need replace."
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro