cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bumper Hitch and Load Question for Bikes - 2019 Coleman Lantern 244BH Travel Trailer

russellspicer
Explorer
Explorer

Hi all!
I am relatively new to the RV scene and I have a question about towing capacity of the 4inch bumper hitch. From all the research I have done, it looks as if these hitches aren't really rated for towing at all and I have seen pictures of the welds failing due to the twisting torque/bounce of people who put a hitch and a bike rack on the back of it. Upon further research, I have come across a few products that can be bolted into the frame and offers more support for the sole purpose of taking care of this issue. Here is a link to an item that I have come across with the basic idea. The concept is the same on other brands I have found but basically the bracket cradles the 4 inch bumper after being bolted into the frame. This prevents the bumper from twisting when the excess load of going over bumps on the road happens. I am including a few pictures of what the back of my trailer bumper looks like because it looks as if my bumper has been reinforced more than other bumpers where I have seen this type of failure occur. From the failure pictures I have see on the internet, the bumpers don't have those extra angle brackets that my four inch bumper has and the bumper rips right off of the back of the frame. I am not totally sure if these type brackets would even fit due to the thickness of the L-bars that are welded. I have read other posts where people have taken their RV to a weld shop to have it reinforced for the purpose of being able to tote more stuff on the back of their bumper.

My question is: Do you think my bumper would be ok as it is(with the said reinforcements as shown in the picture) WITHOUT installing one of these bumper hitches to carry a four bike rack. It's four of us, two adult bikes, one 8 year old size bike, and one 5 year old size bike. Also, it's important to mention that I do have a spare tire mounted on there as well that puts some load on the bumper already. If more reinforcement is needed, would one of these brackets work do you think?

If not, what is your best suggestion to make this possible? I'd love to be able to haul the family's bikes any time we go camping.

Thank you so much for any suggestions!

pic 1.jpegpic 2.jpegpic 3.jpeg

9 REPLIES 9

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II

Hi Russell,

I know you are new to the travel trailer scene, you told us.   Please tell us what year/brand/model camper, if you use a weight disturbing hitch, and what brand model is that and what the truck is.

Taking bikes to camp many times is a problem.  I have had them on the back of the camper, never do that again.  I had them on the front of the 2500 Suburban, that worked well for the bikes, but created lighting issues and potential legal lighting law issues.  And with 4 bikes, a tranny heat issue. We only had 2 bikes and a mild tranny heat change, my camping buddy had the same truck with 4 bikes and it over heated one hot summer day.  He had to take the bikes apart and store them in pieces to get home. 

The rear bumper of the travel trailer in my view is a "no".  There are just too many issues to overcome.  I suspect your camper does not have shock absorbers and we do not know the rear overhang of the camper aft of the rear axle hanger.  The wrong combo on the back of a camper can really take a beating on the bike rack and the camper frame pending what you have.

The double receiver idea presented, until we know what tow vehicle and if you are using a WD hitch, the double receiver may not be a working option. 

What I ended up doing, after and knowing some of what not to do, was create a 2 bike rack on the A-frame of the TT.   This works well, BUTTTTT the A frame has to be able to handle it, the WD hitch has to be able to handle it, the truck suspension has to be able to handle it and the truck receiver has to be able to handle it. 

Give us some more info on your setup and we may be able to help with something that might fit. 

Hope this helps,

John

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

russellspicer
Explorer
Explorer

Thank all of yโ€™all for the responses! Much appreciated. Yes, thatโ€™s what I was thinking as well. I just donโ€™t see that bumper being able to take a load like that either. I do like the idea of a mounted hitch to the frame. Any suggestion on a brand?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

I agree with the other posters, TT bumpers are not engineered with withstand the kind of force 4 bikes will have. I like your thought of additional bracing, but the bumper itself is thin wall. I would suggest a dual hitch receiver and mount the bikes from the truck hitch in front of the TT. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Ok! I didnโ€™t think of that. Do you think it would be an issue with having those bikes and the trailer hooked up at the same time?

I don't think so but you'd have to measure. The dual hitch receiver will add about a foot to the distance, but the rack could hang back far enough to limit a tight turn. It might also cover your hitch ball release. You might also consider a tailgate pad. I've used those. The front forks/wheels hang on the tailgate. Less obtrusive, although it eats up bed space.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad

I know someone who had his kids bikes back there when they left on a trip and when they arrived at their destination they were gone. Broke off! The rear end of the trailer is the roughest, bounyest ride, adding a lot of stress.

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Same. I have heard the same type of story. I appreciate the response!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

The square tubes on the back of many RVs are sewer hose holders (and not great as the moisture causes them to rust. They are thin sheet metal, so not great for any kind of loading. This is at best a band aid.

With 4 bikes, the rack will extend back 3-4ft and likely weigh over 100lb giving it a lot of leverage to twist the sheet metal sewer hose holder off as you bounce down the road.

You can get actual hitches that connect to the frame. A far better idea.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Good to know about the hitches that will attach to the frame. Any specific brand you like?