cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

butyl removal

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Had to do some sealing today and I came across this info which worked well to remove the butyl and thought I'd share it with u all cost is just pennies and couldn't believe how good it worked, first scrape the butyl off with a putty knife then get some cooking oil (I used canola oil) but any should work soak a rag in it and spread it on the butyl that is left wait about 5 min. and start to wipe, it comes off using the oil soaked rag, just wipe the area after with paper towels to get the oil that is left off and u r ready to reassemble. Wasn't too impressed that the parts that they put on in the factory are just screwed into the fiberglass and the styrofoam, I think when I reassemble tomorrow that I will get longer screws, maybe drill the luam in back and go through that.

Chevy Silverado 1500
1993 northern lite classic 9.6 Camper
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel
3 REPLIES 3

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
Paint thinner is good on butyl also.

djg
Explorer
Explorer
There's only a thin sheet of laum glued to the Styrofoam I thought I'd drill through and screw into that but when I thought about it I used a slightly larger screw and it went together great and pulled everything tight, problem fixed
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
If butyl doesn't stick to cooking oil, I think a little more rigorous cleaning of the oil would be recommended before putting back together with fresh butyl. Also, unless you can hit framing, longer screws won't be of much help. You might be better off with a butterfly or molly?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk