cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new camper, which one?

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a truck camper in the past, heck I have owned just about every type of RV except a class A and a toy hauler. We already have an Open Range 318 but that's for paved road camping. What I need your help with is which one to buy?
I'm looking to buy a truck camper to take to Tuktoyaktuck NWT next summer as well as bush camping / ATVing around here.
We have narrowed it down to either a Northern Lite 8-11 Classic or an Arctic Fox 811.
The obvious difference is the more room with the slide on the Arctic Fox.
What I'm looking for your opinions about craftsmanship, reliability and all round good product life, over time.
In got a 1 ton short box diesel so I not to worried about weight, and I know there are fewer models to chose from with the short box, but thats the cards I have been dealt.
Your opinions are much appreciated.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks
53 REPLIES 53

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Im NOT worried about weight, as I stated in my post I have a 1 ton truck ( 2017 , GMC 3500 Duramax short box)
I'm looking for opionons on the two different brands that I listed in my post.
Thanks everyone for your replays.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Arctic Fox 811 I can sell you in September.
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd go for the Northern Lite. Arctic Fox short campers are heavier than you think.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
One thing not mentioned yet is the payload of your truck vs. the actual fully loaded weight of either aforementioned TC's. In the glove box should be a sticker showing the maximum size camper for that truck. My neighbor bought a Chevy DMax 4WD with the sticker showing a 1200 pound max on camper loading. He did not get the H.D. My guess is you will be overloaded from the start unless you do some suspension, shocks, wheel, and tire upgrading. Doing the math will tell the tale. Many times it's easier to just trade the truck for a 3500 or better than to throw about the same amount of money at upgrading. Many people ignore any weight restrictions and have a great time living closer to the edge. The 35 inch tires on the 2500 truck below have a 3860 pound load rating; so, 7720 pound load rating on the rear axle, which is rated by Dana as 11,200 pounds. The wheels are steel with a very high load rating. The rear suspension has 8 leaves: 3 mains, one thick lower overload, 3 upper secondaries, one 3" lift spring, longer U-bolts, and 4 Stable Loads. My camper is 2650 pounds, loaded. My point is, it took many years and a bucket of cash to get it up enough to carry the loads I had in mind. Over and over I have carried 5000 pounds of crushed rock in the short bed of this truck. No problem.

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We like all the AF's we have owned. Don't forget the AF 865, nice camper.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Very happy with the quality of our Arctic Fox. It's not a lightweight, but it's well bulit.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

cubbear
Explorer
Explorer
Artic Fox

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I have found my 2006 Arctic Fox 1150 to be of very good quality, especially compared to other RVs I have looked at. It's not perfect, or problem free, but very nice overall. As a matter of fact, I am so pleased with it, the only reason I would consider switching would be to get theater seating.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will find the NL really helps with your load capacity. It's a foot shorter, a foot less tall, and at least 600 pounds lighter in all.

Both are rated high, but from what you say your use will be, I would get the NL.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel