Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying this week: opinions wanted to choose between 2

awmorris
Explorer
Explorer
BACKGROUND (Skip to the question if you want):
I just sold my 2003 Gulf Stream Kingsport (and I previously owned a Forest River hybrid)... but now SWMBO has agreed it's time for us to get a new camper. My requirements are:
1) Sleeping for 5- i'm only interested in units with 3 or 4 single bunk beds and a >= Double bed for wife and I.
2) Outdoor kitchen.
3) 15K BTU ducted A/C
4) U shaped dining tables (so i can seat 5)
5) Seating area OTHER THAN dining table and beds (this means a couch)
6) Decent size tanks- grey water tank size is most important
7) Ideally, want to keep the length <30ft, but don't want to go much over
😎 Price < $20K
9) At least 1 Slide (5 people in a camper without a slide is just cramped)

QUESTION:
With my requirements, I've narrowed it down to the choice between A) "2018 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 2910BHS"; and
B) "2018 Forest River Wildwood 282QBXL"

What advice/considerations do you have on these 2? While I think I performed a pretty thorough search, there are hundreds of models from dozens of manufacturers. Is there a model that I should consider also?
7 REPLIES 7

awmorris
Explorer
Explorer
The Apex proved too expensive- some fast googling showed the cheapest Apex was 5K over my budget. However, DutchmenSport gave some good advice I hadn't considered... i really needed to consider access to the bathroom with the slide closed. Consequently, I reconsidered my requirements and signed a contract on a 2019 Gulf Stream Kingsport 276BHS. While I lost the outdoor kitchen, it has 2 doors and allows easy access to the bathroom even with the slide closed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Dutchman's bunk layout isn't one I'd choose.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
There was an extensive post recently about the quality of rigs, and how each upgrade made a better camper. Did that get made into a sticky? Maybe someone remembers the author and can repost please.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Item 1: Before purchasing either, try sitting down on the potty and shut the door. If you are an average guy, you'll have your answer pretty fast for both of these models.

Item 2: Also, pull the slides in on both of these models and see if you can still function inside the camper with slides in. You'll be convinced then about item 1.

Edit:
If you want a real test of the functionality of either of these campers, step inside either bathroom, shut the door, then have the salesman retract the side. See what happens. Now imagine yourself traveling with your family and everyone REALLY needs to "go." What happens then?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
forest river products are not high on my list
which one has a rubber roof? buy the other one
bumpy

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=294#Main
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
No surround tub walls in the wildwood.... forget about it...

Look at the apex line... you'll be lighter in the tongue to start and ahead of the game...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh