cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cable driven slide

GailsFolly
Explorer
Explorer
We have a cable slide out the back of our trailer, a 2011 Kodiak TT. It contains our bed and a row of cabinets. We replaced the mattress as soon as we got the trailer with a much more ergonomic, and unintentionally, heavier choice.

We have noticed the slide is dipping slightly when we are lying there. My question is, do we need to tighten the cables or should we get a jack to put under the slide and pick up some of the weight?

We bought the trailer used in a private sale.
:C newish rv owner heading out after retirement
5 REPLIES 5

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could angle a piece of plywood under the mattress
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

GailsFolly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. It closes nice and tight, we are just finding the slight head down position irritating, but laying in a different direction creates it's own issues.
:C newish rv owner heading out after retirement

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a KZ Spree with a rear slide which was controlled by cables. It also sagged a little. On the positive side this allowed water to drain away from the trailer. It's normal for the cables to have some slack depending on the position of the slide. When you are putting the slide in, all 4 sides should make contact at the same time. As Ron said, get it checked out if you think the sag is excessive.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ron gave you the correct answer.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neither. The cables only need to be adjusted if the cable is too slack and you are having problems extending or retracting the slides. They are NOT for height adjustment of the slide itself.

Putting a jack under the slide is potentially dangerous. If your trailer should lose its support for any reason, the jack will cause sever damage to the slide.

If it were me, I would have the dealer look at it and have a certified technician adjust the slide for height. More than likely, they will do nothing and say the slight dip is normal.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....