Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California or bust with early 70s De-Lar

a_graham52
Explorer
Explorer
Evening everyone.
Here's the plan: 77 c10, early 70s De-lar.inc truck camper from maine to California via rt. 66.

We plan on taking sept. 2016 off and spending the month out on the road. Gas will be expensive but whos counting fuel right?

Yesturday we brought home our TC for the first time. Fit the truck well but I need to upgrade to some LT tires and repair the rear springs. Has plenty of power but sways a tad in the turns lol.

We got it home and have started stripping the interor. Some water damage to the roof structure and a lot of mouse nest in the cealing. The plan is to totally gut the insides and build it to suit us. Going woth a white/blue theme. And on the plus side, our neighbor has a TC that he's using for storage and said we can have all the appliences for free. Water heater, fridge, water tanks, ect!
29 REPLIES 29

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Not to burst your bubble with this cool retro project, but you need to understand the difference between a 3/4 full floating axle and a half ton semi floating axle. You can prop up the back of any truck with springs or airbags, but you are still asking 1/2 ton bearings to carry a load bigger than they were designed to do. Many people get away with it, but truthfully, 1/2 ton axles were never designed to carry that kind of weight. All the best with your project.
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

niftypkg
Explorer
Explorer
All toilets will compost if you leave the stuff there long enough. It is hard to do with out the equipment you want. Just love my Loo! Midnight nature calls can be hazardous to your fellow campers!!! What you should be concerned with is the GVW of the whole rig and overheating. There are many 6% grades you may encounter. Buying bottled water for drinking and using potable water for sinks and Loo may save some weight. Dump often. Taps in some camp grounds are questionable. Good luck.

a_graham52
Explorer
Explorer
They guy we bought it off of claimed it has a composting toilet bUT everyone whose looked at it begs to differ

a_graham52
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
a.graham52 wrote:
They original insulation was styrofoam. Most of the camper is build out of 2x2s actually.

I has planned on putting 3/4 ton rear springs as well as a sway bar and possible assist bags in the rear of the truck. It's already the "heavy half" and has the larger brakes from the factory.

We plan on hotel/cg most nights on our trip and a few local rv's said they used their bathrooms for storage more then anything else. So I was thinking about 86ing it.

You might want to consider what you will do in an emergency middle of the night situation -- I got some bad shrimp one time, for example. A bucket and a lot of trash bags can work if you are not shy, but be prepared. And make sure you consult anyone who will be traveling with you :).

That's been in the back of my mind. Seniors Porta stool...

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
a.graham52 wrote:

We plan on hotel/cg most nights on our trip and a few local rv's said they used their bathrooms for storage more then anything else. So I was thinking about 86ing it.

You might want to consider what you will do in an emergency middle of the night situation -- I got some bad shrimp one time, for example. A bucket and a lot of trash bags can work if you are not shy, but be prepared. And make sure you consult anyone who will be traveling with you :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

a_graham52
Explorer
Explorer
They original insulation was styrofoam. Most of the camper is build out of 2x2s actually.

I has planned on putting 3/4 ton rear springs as well as a sway bar and possible assist bags in the rear of the truck. It's already the "heavy half" and has the larger brakes from the factory.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of campers has fiberglass insulation where the only advantage is cheap.
Whenever you have a chance, stuff styrofoam or better yet polyurethane foam.
They have R value several times higher than fiberglass and add some mechanical strength.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Possible Weight saver, could do like my old KIT and have one combined waste tank under the overhang and use a double valve to be able to use the tank for both or just black.

Interior-wise, you'll be getting intimately familiar with luan board or some other thin door-skin and 1x1s and 1x2s to make things, otherwise, you'll get heavy really quick ;).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

a_graham52
Explorer
Explorer
Alright question time. From what we can tell this originally had a fresh water tank, toilet (not sure if there was ever a black tank under the tail), holiday oven, hydro flame propane furnace and a fridge.

Now weight is a priority, the camper is about 90% gutted and we were thinking of fridge, fresh tank, gray tank, water heater, furnace, and microwave. 12v battery and inverter

Too much to ask? Or better things we could do?

Also does anyone have any pics of custom interiors that are low key and maybe out of the box?

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
It is all possible. I did the rework route, and have mine on my Ram. My DW and I just did over 5000 miles in ours across the north west!

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like quite an undertaking. I guess we know where you'll be spending your spare time for the next year.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

a_graham52
Explorer
Explorer

Only pic I have. Now the rig is about half gutted. Some rot in the structure.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
How about pictures of interior?
You don't need to worry about roof leaks coming to California :B

a_graham52
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendation on how to build the interior light yet sturdy? Rather a certain material or a way to build it?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome rig. :C
Keep us updated on your progress.