cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camera systems

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
Are camera systems worth the time, money and effort? I have some trouble estimating the length of the trailer when changing lanes. Luckily, only managed to receive the "one finger salute" once and I swear he tried to gun it to cut me off. I've towed my current camper about 5000 miles to date but am upgrading and adding another 5 feet of length to 39 feet. I have no troubles backing, just changing lanes on the freeway and am concerned that the extra 5 feet will make it harder to judge clearance. Any other "tricks" or suggestions? Anyone use a camera system on their trailer and would you again?
2015 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Lafayette Walden
2014 Ram Laramie 3500 dually
26 REPLIES 26

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
I run with a Dashcam in my car (forward facing) as My dad and my son both had scams attempted on them. I decided I needed one for that. In the RV, I use my Mobius Action Camera as a forward facing dash camera.
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

SplinterFL
Explorer
Explorer
Great topic.
I've been looking in to this myself, I need to add a cam to my trucks bumper for backing up to find the hitch and wanted to put a cam on the back of the trailer for backing it in to spaces. (and not running over stray kids when backing, lol)

Then I remembered something on TV, all the buses here are outfitted with cams. (they get hit often) and was thinking of getting a mini security DVR which constantly records. (they are 12v after all, as are the cams.) We get a lot of tourists here, who seem to have broken turn signals and brake lights. Needless to say, there are a lot of accidents daily in the Disney heck area. (but we do see free fireworks everynight, just 10 miles away.)

I'd add a forward facing cam behind the mirror and let the DVR record just in case. (video is the best evidence of what happens on the road, lol) I didn't think of adding some on either side for blind spot (until this topic), but thats a simple matter connect the autoswitch to the turnsignal...when the signal goes on, the monitor shows that side.

Is it worth it, prob not... Would I use it, maybe only for backing which is the purpose. I like the blind spot idea, just incase it's a bad angle and the mirror can't see it. But I do like the idea of having a recording, espessialy if hit by a tourist with no insurance. (locals pay double to have un-insured insurance) Or if an accident happens in front me. It's toy, but so are heated seats and a radio.
2003' Dodge Dakota SLT Quad 4x2, 4.7 V8 - 1996 Aerolite 16RK

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have one on my TT and loved it. With that said....both with my TT and now with my Class A, I signal well ahead of when I need to turn or change lanes. That allows the people that want to gun it and pass me to do so and usually keeps the others back until I am done turning or lane changing.
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Garmin GPS and a Garmin BC-20 camera that displays on the GPS screen. NO additional monitor needed.
Works well but honestly I seldom use it. The camera is worthwhile when backing up however when traveling forward I can get all the views I need via my mirrors. Cameras are for amateurs and are really not necessary.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Unicorn1108 wrote:
I'm curious too, which brand of camera Montana is using. Looking at the camera on the back of the truck, can you see the lanes on both sides of the trailer?

Bob

tried to send you a PM, but I can't, not on your buddy list... has all the info on the camera and monitor I use and sent the other members on this thread.

As for the camera at the back of the truck and the lanes on either side of the trailer, the answer is no. you see just about the width of the tongue connecting to the trailer, maybe a little more.

try this vid I made.

http://youtu.be/5LbMEBTDJxM

dodge guy wrote:
You can shop on Amazon for a cheap camera $20-$30 and a decent size monitor maybe between $75 and $100. comes with all the connections you need, the only thing you would need is a longer video cable and extending the power wires. very easy to do.

Yep, just what I did.
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an older VR3 wired camera I got from Pep Boys years ago. I extended the cable and mounted the camera on the back of the trailer. I mounted the monitor next to my rear view mirror. the connection is just inside the barn doors. I have it hooked up so I can turn it on and it stays on. I use it as a rear view monitor. the screen is tiny, but it beats not seeing anything at all. I can see when I pass a truck and then can safely change lanes. I think I paid $75 for it.

You can shop on Amazon for a cheap camera $20-$30 and a decent size monitor maybe between $75 and $100. comes with all the connections you need, the only thing you would need is a longer video cable and extending the power wires. very easy to do.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Unicorn1108
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious too, which brand of camera Montana is using. Looking at the camera on the back of the truck, can you see the lanes on both sides of the trailer?

Bob

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
you bet...if you have any questions, let me know
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

westend
Explorer
Explorer
MontanaCamper wrote:
westend wrote:
MontanaCamper wrote:
have a camera on the rear of my truck and a camera on the rear of my trailer. The 7" monitor has a dual input on it so I can switch back and forth. cameras are hardwired.
What brand or type of camera gear do you have, Montana? I'm curious because I'm looking for the same setup for my rig.
TIA

Sent you a PM

Thanks a bunch!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
MontanaCamper wrote:
have a camera on the rear of my truck and a camera on the rear of my trailer. The 7" monitor has a dual input on it so I can switch back and forth. cameras are hardwired.
What brand or type of camera gear do you have, Montana? I'm curious because I'm looking for the same setup for my rig.
TIA

Sent you a PM
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a rear camera but I don't use it for lane changing. My truck has nice big tow mirrors which get the job done. Cameras are a distraction to me. I can see the entire side of the 5'er and the next lane beside me using my mirrors
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have this oneand it is a real comfort when switching lanes.. It took a little work to get the angle set where it works for me, but I also use it for backing.

for those that wonder, I have a 28 ft TT and full size p/u. I have mine wired to hot wire so it is always on, not dependent on having lights on and connected, so it works even after I disconnect truck. Have pulled over 50 ft from TT and still got a picture.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
I read a reply to a question like this a few years back. I believe it was a Class A driver who said "When I use my turn signals, I am indicating my intentions, not asking permission."

Ouch! I'm no speed demon either, but driving I75 through Atlanta, it's just not possible to stay in the same lane.
2015 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Lafayette Walden
2014 Ram Laramie 3500 dually

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
I read a reply to a question like this a few years back. I believe it was a Class A driver who said "When I use my turn signals, I am indicating my intentions, not asking permission."

As for myself. I am on holidays. I am usually going slower than anything but farm or construction equipment so the situation rarely comes up. :C

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser