Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper batt power not back on after disconnect shore power

desertroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I'm puzzled after I disconnected from shore power and the battery power didn't come back on. Several positive connections go directly to the battery such as the radio, kitchen, and lighting. All are out. When the truck is running, the power is also restored only if running. Checked the 3 fuses inline near the battery, all are OK, also the fuses in the fuse panel. Battery is full, and switched out with another battery just to be sure there wasn't some issue with the battery. There is just a BMV712 Victron smart battery monitor, there is continuity through the shunt. Also a disconnect switch, that is turned on and also has continuity. No idea why there is no power coming from the battery. It has to be something simple. I bought this camper used, so perhaps there is a fuse or switch that I'm missing. Any ideas?

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
desertroad,

Thanks for letting us know! Have a wonderful trip.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

desertroad
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Check the battery voltage. Then check along the path and see where voltage drops to zero.
Repair, replace, adjust or clean the place of bad connection.

Thanks! Yes, I took another look at the 30 amp fuse which was fine, but the fuse itself was stuck on one side in the holder, and was not fully connected I found after I pulled it out and reseated another fuse better. Camper is back to being able to do boondock business and food on this trip isn't going to get spoiled. We're happy campers!

Thanks again everyone else who responded with ideas as well!

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Made a link for you....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wuTxmYhacFgQTCIt2YQvGeVDLBYUKk49/view?usp=sharing
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing I will say is that either truck charge wire power, or 120v converter power, will backfeed that camper battery power RED wire from converter back to the disconnect switch "power out" terminal, so unless you have both of these other 12v power sources shut down when testing for power coming out of the disconnect switch it will give you a "hot" reading.
Bill..

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so that 30A fuse RED wire in your pic will be the main power to the converter. Do you have the electronic battery disconnect switch or manual one?..If it is the electronic one then are you really sure you have 12v coming out of it?...thet elecrtonic switch is just a solonoid and even though it is clicking may not be making contact. I would put a jumper wire across the main RED wire in, and main RED wire out and see if the disconnect switch is really working. Your truck charge wire goes direct to the converter so will power up the 12v camper stuff regardless of the camper battery disconnect operation. The 120v converter also powers up the 12v stuff regardless of battery disconnect switch operation. I really suspect that battery disconnect switch as the problem for no camper battery power.
Bill..

desertroad
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Was one of the three fuses you tried the resettable fuse on the frame near the battery? Small black button on side. Could be under the black chloroplast if your trailer bottom is covered. Follow your positive cable.

Thanks for your suggestion. The fuses coming from the positive pole on the battery are inline of the wires. See photo. I'm not seeing a black button on the side. This is a 1999 Bigfoot 2500 camper.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wuTxmYhacFgQTCIt2YQvGeVDLBYUKk49/view?usp=sharing

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Your Bigfoot will have a little rectangular 30A breaker fastened with a couple of wood screws somewhere between the batteries and the disconnect switch. Follow the 8Ga. RED wire from the battery until you find it. I do not think it is a re-setable breaker....however, you say you have juice after the disconnect switch?..that 8Ga. Red wire goes from disconnect switch direct to the converter. On my 2002BF the camper battery wire and the truck charge wire both terminated on the same nut in the converter. Pull the front off your converter and have a look. Maybe the camper battery wire has pulled out of that terminal somehow?
Bill..

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Check the battery voltage. Then check along the path and see where voltage drops to zero.
Repair, replace, adjust or clean the place of bad connection.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
check the automatic circuit breaker in the battery bank area.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Was one of the three fuses you tried the resettable fuse on the frame near the battery? Small black button on side. Could be under the black chloroplast if your trailer bottom is covered. Follow your positive cable.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be dirt on clamps.
Or did you check the power exist behind the disconnect switch?