cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

camper fitting in new truck

kopack
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at a new Chevy truck and it seems the bed depth on them is 21.34 inches, which creates a problem, since our camper depth from bottom to overhang over the rails is only 20.75 inches. Thus, our camper would not rest on the bed of the new truck, but, rather, solely on the bed rails. I know some folks have solved this problem by building up the bed with wood framimg, but, is there an easier, simpler way? Our 2004 Silverado had a bed depth of just under 20 inches, which worked just fine. HELP!!
Kopack
2004 Chev 3500 EC D/A 4x4, 2004 Lance 1121, 2004 Lund Explorer
18 REPLIES 18

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
GM trucks have a rounded lower bracket welded in (part of the bed support system, I think) by the tailgate that requires that you raise your camper anyway. This is one of the reasons I bot a Dodge when I purchased my last truck after owning a couple of GMC's before that. I am sure many members of this forum have good suggestions to deal with this. however I never found one that dealt with it to my satisfaction so I went to the "dark side" and bot my current truck.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet is probably going to be 2x4s joined together using pocket screws and a bed mat. As an alternative, one can join some plywood together and use that in the center, assuming there is a way to anchor it so it won't shift, even with a rubber mat on top.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The only "easier" solution is to build up the camper bottom.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
I used 4' x 8.' Pink or blue foam board from Lowe's or home depot with my last camper they was 3300 lbs with no issues.. Comes in different thickness. The one i used was 1 inch thick.