cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping in an EV.... Always charging...

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
So here is the start of the FLT driving from Sacramento to Ak in their electric F150 Lighting.

Just a few observations from me:

#1. To put a "canopy" on a truck and calling it a camper is a joke. "Come on man" I never knew I had a "camper" on my truck all the time? :S

#2.Did he ever say how much time it took to charge on this trip? If so, I missed it. If not, TOTALLY unactable. If so, can someone tell me how many hours it took to charge. That is a huge part of camping in one of these things.

#3. He had to stop 9 times!!! 9 times!!! I would have to stop 1 time in the same trip with my ICE truck. Lets say it took an hour per stop. That would add a day to this small trip.

#4. To put a piece of whatever on top of your cab and say you got X improvement to aero is a joke. I have towed that route many, many times and my fuel mileage has varied a lot just from traffic or wind or whatever. Besides, the biggest aero improvement to this rig is going to be from the back and has nothing to do with the front.

#5. Maybe it was just the way the guy looked, but he looked very frazzled a lot of times to me? Not relaxed at all? Range anxiety? :h

In any event, I hope they put a "real" camper on the back of that thing and do a trip. Or hook a travel trailer to the back of this truck and do a trip like most of us on this forum would do. You know, a real average TT like I see on 100's of F150 around the US.

If they want it realistic, they need to make it realistic.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
116 REPLIES 116

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:
ROFLMAO......this thread descended into a clusterf##k of epic proportions.
Yep, easily foreseen and likely OP's intent.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
ROFLMAO......this thread descended into a clusterf##k of epic proportions.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Oh yea, the largest supplier of electricity in my area is a coal plant. I'd venture a guess that my car greats cleaner energy than the coal plant that's charging his electric car...
Your guess would be wrong. This is well documented and you can look it up if actual facts matter to you.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Electricity is shifting to solar and wind primarily for the lower cost to generate. And at the same time it will increase costs?

+1 to simply generate your own. Or at least 50%.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Not sure if y'all understand the word "free". Somebody is paying for that electricity...
That is correct. Marketing is not free.

Notice that nobody is giving "free" gas to attract customers. Enjoy the party while you can. Once everyone is forced into electric the true cost will be PAID.

Different scale. An hour of charging dispenses around 6 kwh, costs about 75 cents and will take the driver about 35 kilometres. I guess they could could give away a shot glass of gas. :).

You completely missed my point.
Electricity is going to get VERY expensive. When it does, you won't get it for "free" anymore.

Meh. Thatโ€™s the cool thing about electricity. If it gets too expensive people will just make their own. Hard to do that with gas. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jmho.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Notice that nobody is giving "free" gas to attract customers. Enjoy the party while you can. Once everyone is forced into electric the true cost will be PAID.

You bring up an interesting point. There is a guy at work that drives his electric vehicle in and plugs it in during the day while he is working. Not sure how much of a charge he can get in a 10 hour day.

If I were to come in and siphon an equal amount of gas out of one of our work vehicles each day, I'd be charged with theft and fired.

Yet the bosses apparently let him charge his car for "free" (its a government building, so the taxpayers are paying for the electricity AND the gas). Its a crazy world we live in.

Oh yea, the largest supplier of electricity in my area is a coal plant. I'd venture a guess that my car greats cleaner energy than the coal plant that's charging his electric car...

"Electricity from solar is cheaper than sourcing it from coal-fired power plants, according to a new article published in the journal Energy and Environmental Materials."

The US could save $5.6B a year if it switched from coal to solar โ€“ study

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

You bring up an interesting point. There is a guy at work that drives his electric vehicle in and plugs it in during the day while he is working. Not sure how much of a charge he can get in a 10 hour day.

If I were to come in and siphon an equal amount of gas out of one of our work vehicles each day, I'd be charged with theft and fired.

Yet the bosses apparently let him charge his car for "free" (its a government building, so the taxpayers are paying for the electricity AND the gas). Its a crazy world we live in.

About $1.50 per day if it is really drawing power for all ten hours.
Better do some additional unbiased research on what is cleaner.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Not sure if y'all understand the word "free". Somebody is paying for that electricity...

Different scale. An hour of charging dispenses around 6 kwh, costs about 75 cents and will take the driver about 35 kilometres. I guess they could could give away a shot glass of gas. :).

You completely missed my point.
Electricity is going to get VERY expensive. When it does, you won't get it for "free" anymore.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

The last few vehicles I've bought came with a "free" tank of gas. :S

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:

Of course. But if the business owner feels it is worth it to draw in customers then of course everybody wins. Hotels do this all the time. Some charge, some donโ€™t. Essentially itโ€™s part of their advertising budget.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS