cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I dye my canvas?

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to dye my tent trailer canvas and will this have a negative effect on the quality of the canvas like the loss of water repellent coating for example?
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe
4 REPLIES 4

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Full disclosure: I haven't used it myself, and to be totally honest, I hadn't considered this application, either, until you posted your question!

I ran across it a month or so back looking for a spray-on product that would tint the inside of two Lexan headlight covers I was going to purchase for an old sports car taking up space in my garage. Considered this product because one of the commenters on Amazon said that he had sprayed it on glass, then used an X-Acto knife to cut and peel away what he didn't want.

Sounded good to me, but when I went back to buy the covers, they were gone! Still looking.

Anyway, let me know how it works out... the canvas on our '97 Viking is starting to show its age, too.
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you RimCountry for the recommendation, I will defiantly look into the Fabric & Vinyl Spray Paint. I was unaware this paint was an option, very interesting.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I've never tried it, nor would I unless I were certain I'd never want to camp in a place where it might rain. Just sayin'...

Odds are, the manufacturing process applies waterproofing after the canvas is dyed, which means you'd likely have to remove everything in order to start with a blank canvas.

Yeah... before I'd go through all that, I'd take a look at a product like this =>

Rust-Oleum 248918 Automotive Fabric & Vinyl Spray Paint, 11-Ounce, Gloss Black

PS: Check out the Reviews section... lots of comments re: pop-ups.
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you can dye it. Yes, it will negatively affect the water repellency.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad