cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying spare bearing question

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If you carry a spare wheel bearing, is it packed with grease? What do you carry it in?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
27 REPLIES 27

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I just lost a bearing. Outer race seized on the spindle. I was fortunate to get parts easily. 3 hours later back on the road. Now if I had the spare bearings, seal, grease and some fine sand paper I'd have been back on the road in half that. I'd have also needed a washer and retaining clip. Cause for failure? Missing retainer allowed the castle nut to back off. Not happy that the dealer I just bought from used doesn't check bearings as part of their standard inspection. And no, I won't name them as they handled it very well and I believe changed their policy since.

Moral? I'll be carrying spare parts starting next season.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JBarca wrote:
I carry the complete bearing set, seal and cotter pin. They are in their original packing which helps ward off rust on the race/bearing.

I also carry the grease. If I have to actually repack the bearing, I will deal with greasing the new bearing then.

Since I do my own bearings and brake work I know what I have in there. In the last 14 years I have never had a bearing issue. Really don't expect one but I am prepared in case it happens. Odds are higher you will have brake issue with an electric drum brake. That I have had. And when you pull the drum to deal with it, then that new seal and grease you have will come in handy.

Hope this helps

John

Very wise.
On one occasion when I was too busy to get to it before a trip, I had Midas repack Fr. bearings on a truck. I figured they must be OK with this since they have to be doing it everyday...
They completely goofed it up and left them so loose they started making noise and causing the brakes to bind and skid when stopping.

Scott

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
That would be one way to insure a bearing would never fail. If you have one you will never need it.

LOL, I have one in my trailer and have never needed it. I can't say the same for springs. Went through 4 or 5 or those over the years. :E
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
on my boats I carry the hole hub ,and tools to knock loose a stuck race.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a set in a plastic bag. Carry the hand packing tool also.
Had not serviced the bearings for 10 years with no issues.
Just put on new rotors, bearings and disc brakes.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
if you have a bearing fail you will more than likely need a new spendle as well

In the one incident where I had to replace a bearing in a welcome center parking lot the spindle was fine. The hard part was getting the inner race off the spindle.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
I carry the complete bearing set, seal and cotter pin. They are in their original packing which helps ward off rust on the race/bearing.

I also carry the grease. If I have to actually repack the bearing, I will deal with greasing the new bearing then.

Since I do my own bearings and brake work I know what I have in there. In the last 14 years I have never had a bearing issue. Really don't expect one but I am prepared in case it happens. Odds are higher you will have brake issue with an electric drum brake. That I have had. And when you pull the drum to deal with it, then that new seal and grease you have will come in handy.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
newman fulltimer wrote:

Not always and more often than not you can file off high spots, put it all back together and be fine.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a couple in their original boxes. If I spin a bearing on the road, I will be packing it there.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
That would be one way to insure a bearing would never fail. If you have one you will never need it.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bearings are generally available.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to carry a spare wheel bearing, carry the whole set; inner, outer, seal, castle nut, and pin.

I would have the bearings packed, ready for install. Store bearings in a freezer Ziploc inside a small cardboard box.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny