cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caulk

Wisconsin1
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 1988 Jayco 1006 popup. There is no signs of leaks but the caulk needs to be replaced. What is the best way of removing the caulk nit just on the roof but on the side corners also? What is the best caulk to use? Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
For actual caulk or tube sealant, I would and have used Dicor. Since you are going from horizontal surfaces to vertical, use the non-self-leveling variety.

On my '06 Jayco 1007, I used Eternabond for the top and front/rear ends to cover all seams. It worked really well, made the curve from the roof to the front and rear panels just fine. I used it across the trim strip on the front and rear panels at the bottom that house the gasket

The end result was wherever aluminum roof skin contacted anything else, Eternabond was covering that transition. I've done the same thing with my current PUP as well with only the corner caps on the roof not being covered but I am checking those regularly for signs of fatigue.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
I just redid most of the seams on our Palamino. I used a utility razor knife and a small scraper to get most of the old caulking off. I was told to use Quad caulking a few years ago and that's what I've used since. Seems to be pretty good stuff. It is very sticky and tacky! For things on the roof, RV stores will sell a "self-leveling" sealant to put on/around vent bolts and such. I haven't used it yet but will soon. For seams, I also mask off the surrounding areas, leaving about a 1/4 inch on either side of the seam. Apply the sealant then using a finger wet with water, wipe off the excess and push it into the seams good.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT