cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charcol as fire stater?

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used charcoal to get your firewood started? Well I have, and I'm still using it. I just buy a bag of Match light charcoal. Place a small amount on the center of the fire ring or pit, place your log on it and BAM!! Instant fire. No more messing around with twigs, news papers or buying log starters. A bag will last me 3 seasons... Remember once the fire start you just keep adding on fire wood to it...

Happy Camping!!!:W
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
45 REPLIES 45

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Ole Man Dan wrote:
mhardin wrote:
Why does everyone want to stink up a good campground with wood smoke?

Why not just string up enough lights to make the night look like Noon in Arizona in mid-July and enjoy the sound of the generators? Sheesh!
:R

In the South East we have lots of Camp Fires.
Lots of string lights attract mosquitoes to the light.

I like to 'Stink up the Campground' as you put it.
I even burn a little Pine to help keeps bugs away.
Lots of folks like to build a fire, sit out and drink Coffee, till late.

Sometimes... (GASP) Some of us like to cook over an open fire too.
I know a couple of places that don't allow fires. I never camp at those places.

It was a joke. Don't worry, I'm keeping my day job.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
mhardin wrote:
Why does everyone want to stink up a good campground with wood smoke?

Why not just string up enough lights to make the night look like Noon in Arizona in mid-July and enjoy the sound of the generators? Sheesh!
:R

In the South East we have lots of Camp Fires.
Lots of string lights attract mosquitoes to the light.

I like to 'Stink up the Campground' as you put it.
I even burn a little Pine to help keeps bugs away.
Lots of folks like to build a fire, sit out and drink Coffee, till late.

Sometimes... (GASP) Some of us like to cook over an open fire too.
I know a couple of places that don't allow fires. I never camp at those places.

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago I was camped next to an old fallen white birch tree. Birch bark is one of the best natural fire starters you can find. It'll even light up when it's wet! I have a couple of zip-lock bags of birch bark. It only takes a little strip for each fire.
In my backpacking days I was always on the lookout for loose birch bark.
Please don't go stripping a live tree for it, but if you see some on the ground, take some and try it. If you haven't tried it, you'll be surprised!
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

jerry1946
Explorer
Explorer
I like campfires and outdoor cooking, just becaues I like campfires and outdoor cooking !!!

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry pine kindling. A squirt of lighter fluid on it and the fire is off to a roaring start. Add my logs and I am ready to cook, warm myself and relax myself by the view of the dancing flames- this is what a campfire is all about. 🙂
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
A perfectly innocuous thread gone weird :S

Since I frequently cook with charcoal I just dump the hot stuff into the firepit when dinner is over and add wood. Easy peasy.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Yawn, aren't you being a little absurd Go Dogs?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I said, 'Enjoy'! If that's how you roll, have at it. However,you are a little defensive. Why is that?

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Why would I keep a grill in the fridge?

Please, do everyone here a favour. Stop being such an utter nonce and stop telling people you don't know how they should live their lives.

For your benefit, because I know it's crossed your mind more than once, anal-retentive is hyphenated.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
If you have room for a case of beer, you have room for a hygienic portable grill. If you and your family enjoys food bathed in toxic fumes and charred dog poop, prepared by an inebriated chef-Enjoy!

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs:

Methinks you thinks too much...

One presumes you don't grill anything because of the carcinogens produced when you do so...

You keep worrying I'm going back to my case of beer...

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
There is a great product on the market called Fatwood. I use it to very easily build a camp fire. I put a crumpled sheet or two of newspaper on the botton, 5 or 6 pieces of Fatwood and a little kindling (optional). A few smaller logs are placed on top. Light the newspaper and add logs as needed. No chemicals are involved. Google Fatwood.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
Enjoy your case of beer and filthy cooking area. Unless you're some kind of environmental engineer, (which I highly doubt), you have no clue how certain chemicals will react, when exposed to high temperatures.

Seriously, what kind of "chemicals" are you suggesting people bring camping with them? As to "filthy", after being heated into the hundreds of degrees for an hour or two I'm willing to swab my fire pit and your cooking utensils and see which one makes the most colorful cultures.

I've been doing this over 50 years and you waited until now to tell me it's killing me...

You can certainly do as you like. However, even commonly used plastics emit toxic fumes when exposed to flames-ask any fire fighter. Not to mention, cooking food over burned dirty diapers, dog poop, raccoon spit, etc. is very unappetizing.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your case of beer and filthy cooking area. Unless you're some kind of environmental engineer, (which I highly doubt), you have no clue how certain chemicals will react, when exposed to high temperatures.

Seriously, what kind of "chemicals" are you suggesting people bring camping with them? As to "filthy", after being heated into the hundreds of degrees for an hour or two I'm willing to swab my fire pit and your cooking utensils and see which one makes the most colorful cultures.

I've been doing this over 50 years and you waited until now to tell me it's killing me...